X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olfart
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWatchmanNews View Post
    That motoped is really cool but also really out of my budget lol. Mike thats an awesome bike! Most people dont know that trains actually propel themselves electrically. Its more efficient and more powerful. Now if dear ole daddy government and big corporations would spill the real latest battery technology wed be in good shape.
    And people don't know that the trains carry their own generators to make that electricity. Those big old diesel engines are there to drive the generators, not the wheels.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    That motoped is really cool but also really out of my budget lol. Mike thats an awesome bike! Most people dont know that trains actually propel themselves electrically. Its more efficient and more powerful. Now if dear ole daddy government and big corporations would spill the real latest battery technology wed be in good shape.

Leave a comment:

• medicmike
    replied
    EV's are progressing along quickly. If anyone doesn't take them seriously...this is a video of my brother in law on an electric drag bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtAkM3CYLA

Leave a comment:

• 0utlaw
    replied
    That's pretty cool, pricey but cool.

Leave a comment:

• apache235
    replied
    Pricy, but you can travel for 300 miles or so without refueling (at a gas station)
    Survival - motorized bicycle from Motoped that helps you ride out the worst of times.

top speed for the 49cc is in the low 30's, better for the engine if you keep it around 25. The rack on the back is good for 30 lbs but I figure you could rig some sort of trailer for it. Not a lot of oomph for steep hills, the 125cc would be better AND it has a kick starter whereas the 49cc does not.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    Thats pretty much what an electric bike is. The motor is built into the hub of the rim so you could actually use them on wheelchairs or any type of cart you designed without much fuss. The 1000W ones are capable of around 28 MPH which is plenty of speed.

On a side note ive thought about the recharging issue and what id like to do is get one of those 48CC (50CC) 4-stroke engines and put a 48V generator on it. That could be mounted on top of the battery box and used to able to drive on or charge while sitting. They have some for gas powered bike kits and some of them are really quiet running for a small motor like that.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteBear620
    replied
    What about something like a motorized scooter?
    Not the ones for handicapped people in Walmart and such, but the ones you drive on the road.
    Granted, it's more cost than setting up a battery powered bike probably, but just a thought.

As a lame as I used to think they were, I've seriously thought about getting one to use for getting to and from work just to cut down on gas and such, but top speed isn't high enough for the roads I take and I worry about hitting something an opossum while riding one.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    Yea the barking could be a huge issue. Ive thought of that. I plan to "try" to teach her to be quiet. Funny what you say about your yellow lab. My last dog was a yellow lab and he was as stubborn as it gets. I think it took 8 months to house train him. He was full blooded though. We got him for a discount from a breeder that bred show dogs. He had a slight discoloration on one of his ears so the breeder sold him to us without papers for much cheaper than normal price. One thing i love about Blue is she is so super protective over us and thats important to me with my girlfriends disability its good to have the added security.

Leave a comment:

• BigDaveZJ
    replied
    Labs are awesome dogs for sure. Our black lab Loki sounds similar to Blue. Labs are so eager to please their owner that training them is usually easier than other breeds. Our yellow lab Odin is mixed with what we think is Akita. Very smart, but not as easily trained nor as obedient because the Akita in him makes want to be a stubborn prick LOL.

But they can definitely play a role in a SHTF situation. With their sense of smell, hearing, and general alertness and protective nature they can alert their humans to a threat well before we know the threat is present. My only concern is stealth with them, as them barking can give away our location if we're trying to avoid contact.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    Yea we have actually talked about her role in a SHTF situation. Its one of the reasons we have her. Shes one of a kind for sure. Fully house trained in 3 weeks and is the smartest dog ive ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• olfart
    replied
    You need to harness her up to one of the bikes and get more mileage out of your batteries.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    You're welcome. They run on 3 button cell batteries so i also figured it would be best to just rely on one power source. Being that it is designed for 4.5 volts a single 18650 battery will power it for a long time after i run out of button cells.

Leave a comment:

• BigDaveZJ
    replied
    Awesome, thanks for the link! Good idea on pairing the lights too.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    We absolutely love her vest. It seems to be durable and so far we havent had any issues at all with it. You will want the XL size for sure. That is what Blue is wearing. Kind of big on her for the moment but shell grow into it. I do want to note the lights you see doesnt come with it. We bought some LED lights from the dollar store originally for marker lights on the bikes or any other use we made need them for in case of any event that we need low power consumption lighting. I just disabled one of the circuit boards and installed a wire between the two so they would flash in unison when on strobe mode. Ill give you the link for Ebay that we purchased it from. They have several colors to choose from.

Get the best deals on Dog Harnesses when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

Leave a comment:

• BigDaveZJ
    replied
    I think bicycles will be a key mode of transport during a SHTF scenario, putting an electric motor on one like you've done definitely increases range and speed even for those in good shape.

Adorable pooch too, I've got one just like him/her. On a note unrelated to your original post, but related to the dog, where did you get the vest and how do you like it? We've been looking at vests for our 2 90lb labs so they can carry their own food, water, and other supplies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X