Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My true outdoor stories out of Africa....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few old bayonets and a garand that was ww2 issue.
    My great great grandfather's Springfield from the civil war era hangs at my Uncle's home. I wish they could tell tales.
    Any history on these you can share?

Comment

These were mine when i was still serving 30+ years ago ,ironically against the current government when the world (usa included) had also seen them as terrorists....
      This is my FAL- R1 byonette for the 7,62 outomatic assault rifle (.308,), With the steel helmet and a small pocket Bible from that time.
      Sometimes the mind can not comprehend what the eye can not see...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	baboon snipe.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	130523

My Bowie with a culled big rogue male baboon

Name:	DSCN0878.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	130524

My cold steel trench hawk with a warthog

Comment

Huge rock python that caught an Impala...

Name:	snake!big python swallowing impala..jpg
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	130525

Comment

Name:	Studio_20150819_150404.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	130526

Comment

My Mora camp knife...

Name:	Studio_20150812_125959.jpg
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	130527

Name:	FB_IMG_1439376376249.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	130528

Comment

The mora is one of those super practical, super good buy knives, but they have no soul. I have several scattered about, and they see lots of use, but they are not "fun" like some others I have.

Even though I have never had a problem with them, the lack of a full tang makes me distrustful of them.

Recently I have gotten into locally made knives. The small makers are putting out some quality blades at no more cost than comparable factory knives.

If you have not, check out condor knives too. I am really enjoying my bushlore. For the $30, it has turned out to be a heck of a knife. They sell well below msrp in the US.

Comment

Name:	20150830_123554.jpg
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	130529

A few of my favorites. The bushcraft and vanguard are production knives. The big chopper and smaller utility knife are by Scott Davidson before he got famous with his big reveal in blade magazine. The other is by a North Carolina maker named Mike Presnell. I also have a Tabor made knife that is packed in the Bob that I really enjoy as a large camp knife.

Finding a hobby maker that is not well known yet, nets some great knives for less than the cost of an ESEE or similar knife around here.

That big chopper was not quite what I was after when I asked Scott to make it, but it has seen a ton of use as a cleaver in the kitchen and a camp knife, as well as when I was doing large animal work and posting cattle and horses. It actually turned out to be one of my most used knives in spite of the miscommunication.

Comment

[One of my childhood hero,s Harry Wolhuter, a game ranger in Kruger nearly a 100 years ago killed a male lion that attacked him with this same knife now displayed in the museum.
                    A facinating adventure-google him for the full story!

ATTACH=CONFIG]6368[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files

Comment

• My big kukri that I sometimes carry while solo spearhunting warthogs.
                      Home made blesbuck sheath with 2 x custom made small knives and my old army web belt.
                      Its a beast!

Name:	Studio_20150826_192813.jpg
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	130533

Comment

• I have never used or held a kuri I have always been curious about them and bolos I don't think I would have much use for one, but then I never thought a machete would be as handy as it has turned out to be with all the poke weed and brambles here.

Comment

• My grandson , a young hunter in the making...lol

Name:	DSCN8890.jpg
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	130535

Comment

• When you are out there in a truely wild place, and you unexpectly met one of the big boys, guess who got right of way...? Lol

Name:	FB_IMG_1441199507668.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	130540

Comment

• You are one heck of a tree climber LOL

Comment

• The RP claims snakes make people run into trees. Never could figure that out, they just make me hungry.

Out in the Rocky Mountain states, people die every year from being stupid. They want to take photos with bears, or bison, or moose, and all their friends are so shocked that these wild creatures are dangerous, and often downright mean!
                                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
                                X