Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks Officer Greg Anderson

Thanks
    Thanked 14,504 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Until he was reprimanded and on the road to being terminated, he gave no indication of what State, County, City or Department he was in. He made sure that his Department patch was off camera.

Don't get me wrong, by no means am I disagreeing with you. I'm not surprised that the NAZIs in charge don't like it when one of their underlings has a mind of their own and won't enforce draconian policies, especially in the communist bastion of Washington state.
    When oppression becomes law, resistance become duty.

In an Undisclosed Remote Location in the tropical South East
    Thanks
    Like I said I agree wholeheartedly with what he said but he knew the policy going in I assure you.
    Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit

Thanks
    Thanked 4,394 Times in 1,759 Posts
    Just because he is a cop, he did not give up his first amendment. I really think some of this needs to be challenged by the ACLU. Many departments fail to fire for very racist comments on social media, this seems much more reasonable than those.

I understand policy, but just because it is policy does not make it constitutional. I can not control my employees off the clock. There are rafts of laws that prevent it. If he was off the clock, I question their right to fire him. If it was on the clock, they have him for theft of time/time clock fraud, or whatever that state calls it.

In an Undisclosed Remote Location in the tropical South East
    Thanks
    Just because he is a cop, he did not give up his first amendment
    No, but I'd be willing to bet he signed for receipt of and acknowledged understanding of department policy when he was hired.

Employers do have a right to terminate or discipline employees if a social media post causes harm to their business or reputation. My previous employer just won a wrongful dismissal case for that exact thing. A mechanic got pulled off of a job and posted on FB that the company did it to put a lower paid unqualified mechanic on the job so they would make more money. Company fired him, he sued and lost and, to add insult to injury, ended up posting a public acknowledgement that his original post was false to settle a libel suit the company filed against him.

First amendment guarantees the freedom of speech but not freedom from it's repercussions
    Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.” 1 Samuel 22:23

“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit