COVID 19 and your plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID 19 and your plans

So we have a potential crisis at our doorstep. Has anyone changed what they are doing? See holes in their plans?

I think the ability to survive a prolonged decrease in business is going to be my biggest issue should this hit our area hard. Also, getting supplies that are being sucked up by the masses will be a problem. Come on people, surgical masks do NOT protect the wearer, only the surgical patient directly in front of you. That is why you are taught not to turn you head in surgery should you cough or sneeze. It goes out the sides.

Getting supplies with so much of our medical supplies like gloves, masks, gowns, drugs etc made in china is going to be another issue for work.

This should be interesting.

The part I'm concerned with is supply chain issues stalling the economy. While we are better off than we were in 16, we are still riding a huge bubble of debt, artificially low interest and quantitative easing. A couple of panic driven sell off days on Wall street could put the economy into a tail spin that would be disastrous. I also feel that the media and politicians are over selling the whole thing which is causing a lot of the panic. At this point you a several hundred times more likely to die from the regular flu as you are Covid19
    [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

I agree with the supply chain. This is why it is so important that we bring home manufacturing. It makes no sense for us to have other countries manufacturing so much that is necessary for us from a national security standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
        ... It makes no sense for us to have other countries manufacturing so much that is necessary for us from a national security standpoint.
        Bringing that manufacturing home could also help with employment numbers. Maybe not a huge impact, but an impact none the less.

Redman, since surgical grade masks won't be of much use to us laymen, are there any supplies that you can suggest that might be helpful in the future? I'm not talking so much about the current situation, more so for after the current panic wanes and going forward. I am also not talking about the standard bandages, curlex, ABD pads, iodine, etc.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

I keep saying it, but make friends with your local vet. There are lots of items we can't legally give you, but should SHTF, we have them and our friends and family will be first in line in times of need.

In the case of the masks, N95 or better masks that are fitted are going to help with disease transmission, but in a perfect world, you would get fitted and know which brand and size you needed. And guys, this means shaving to make them work or you will just suck air through the gap.

I am not sure about what you are after Kick. If you have specific areas or items in mind, I can try to answer anything I know about.

Comment

Nothing in particular, you just see things from a different perspective than I would, and was wondering if there's anything that you see as a necessity that we might not even think of.
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

not really that I can think of.

One thing to note, now that a dog has been found to be positive, is that the corona virus vaccine for dogs has NO cross protectivity. One is an alpha corona and the other is a beta. They are so dissimilar that there is no cross protectivity among even various canine corona viruses.

Comment

So you can or you can't catch it from a dog?
                [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

They don't know yet, but what is pretty certain is that the dog caught it from the owner.

Comment

Went to my local Homedepot an in the paint department found P100 masks by 3M , They have a membrane around the edge that helps seal the mask better , also has the exhaust valve for easier breathing . About $10 / 2

Comment

I bought two 3M rubber masks that take the bayonet mount disc filters with 4 spare N100 filters. Got them about a year ago for mowing, etc. I guess they'll work for Covid19 as well.

Comment

Any new developments or holes you have noted yet?

Comment

I'm curtailing my attendance at radio and blacksmith meetings, may stop going to church for a month or two. My wife is 72 and diabetic, and I cannot risk bringing the bug home to her.

Comment

I am surprised by the level of panic and panic buying I am seeing here.

Comment

The Mrs. & I are pretty much staying home. I do need to go to town for cat food today, which will be the first time that I've been to town in about a week.

I did go to the very small, local hardware store earlier this week, where I saw these kids at the "New Mexico beach".

20200310_152527.jpg

They are actually in the middle of the mighty Rio Grande riverbed. From about September through late May, the Bureau of Reclamation closes off the outflow from Elephant Butte Reservoir, which is about 100 miles north of me.
                              Last edited by kickstand; 03-13-2020, 07:36 PM.
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                              X