Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barley

GOPAL
    Gopal (KSA 108-069) is a spring growth-habit, two-row, naked-barley from India with very interesting properties and attributes. Gopal’s two-row heads are of delicate structure and are graced by long, beautiful awns that averaged 7inches in length in the Kusa Seed organization grow-outs. The crop is not tall and the stems are not strong, therefore be prepared to provide supplemental support against lodging (you’ll thank yourself for every minute invested in this crop). The glumes and grains of Gopal are purple at maturity; richly pigmented with anthocyanic compounds (“anticarcinogenic, antimutagenic, antimicrobial, antiviral; they are found to reduce cholesterol, promote connective tissue regeneration, stimulate collagen formation, improve circulation, enhance vision, boost immune function and reduce inflammation” —Botanical Preservation Corps. The pigments are also thought to be linked to a plant’s ability to germinate its seeds under cold temperatures). A deep, richly-pigmented, water-extract of the grains can readily be prepared (simply by soaking the kernels in water) which contains health-safe natural dyes, safe for food-coloring, fabrics, and as a medicinal beverage. Gopal is a culinary oddity. Not only do the grains have a magical, deeply exotic, health-safe coloration, they also upon contact with moisture, discharge the aroma (scent) of ripe, sun-warmed blackberries (sweet, dense and summery) along with an accompanying taste-note (flavor) that is aptly described as “fruity.” This is a grain that no one else on your block is likely to yet own. This faculty member, with an impressive background and credentials, can be your very own heirloom variety. A really beautiful, 2-row food-barley; a grain to get to know better. https://www.ancientcerealgrains.org/...ecatalog1.html If you have the space to grow it this would be a great addition to your survival foods . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXdQxSkZ9c A prepares video .

That sounds like a great crop. For me though, there are 2 major problems:

1) I can kill a plastic plant. True story, years ago my green plastic plant turned brown.

2) I'm Allergic to barley.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

My wife adds it to soups sometimes but it's not this type , this type seems to be very good for you . I might grow some next year to get as much seed as I can .

Comment

Working...
      X