Welding on my mower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on my mower

I have a mower deck I would guess to be 14 or maybe 12 g steel I have to weld a reinforcement plate 1/8 inch thick to it. I am thinking DC negative electrode with 1/8 6013 rod. Maybe 75 amps?

Anyone have a suggestion. I dont need to blow it out or anything.

Thanks

Suggestions MMmmmm take it to a good welder lol if your asking us your in trouble already

Comment

Lol. I can run a bead. The settings and rod selection are my problem

Comment

Too bad Tex isn't around anymore.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

6013 is good as long as you have it really clean, 6011 if it's on the rough side. 6011 will need to back off the heat too, 55-60 to start warm it up if it's not penetrating. I tell people it should sound like bacon frying when it's right.

Then get a MIG it'll make life easier....
          [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

I have 6011. Still 1/8?

Comment

Yes that should be fine. Not sure how big of patch it is but you may want to stitch it in sections to keep warping down and prevent heat build up

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

Comment

Basically 8t 8s a 1/8 inch plate for mounting the spindles. The spindle mounts have bent and torn loose on one of them. They were only stamped into the deck material. So what I found are reinforcement plates. They will only be able to attach in 4 areas about 1.5 inches long around the outside of an 8 inch diameter plate.

Comment

You'll be great then, let 'er rip

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                    Too bad Tex isn't around anymore.
                    Tex still exists, but he's doing more that's political, so he don't want people knowing about his low-class friends. He even moved!

Just kidding, he DID move, but he still cares about friends. I'll ask him about coming back to talk welding.
                    Last edited by W.Lynn; 05-16-2019, 12:11 PM.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I got it figured out. It is not pretty. I need to practice. I wish they had some night classes close by for welding

Comment

Tex might be able to make suggestions for improvement, or for finding training.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                          Tex might be able to make suggestions for improvement, or for finding training.
                          Ya, but now that he's "a politician" , can we believe him?
                          Defund the Media !!

Comment

So I got the deck welded, a new belt on it, the new spindles and blades on it, and off I went until.....

The damned transmission went out. It is a non serviceable hydraulic transmission. I am not sure what I have to do to get it back running now. I do know it is not the drive belt, beyond that, I dont know. Damn.

I did get 90% mowed before it blew up. At this point, I am seriously considering buying new.

Comment

I had a similar issue just this past month. I had done a repair to the deck of my cheap 10 year old rider. It let go again part way through the mow. The engne is still strong and the rest of the mower is solid, it;s just the deck. A replacement can be had for about $250 but the shipping makes it well over $300. The whole mower only cost me 800 new. It always happens that when I dump money like that into something then something unfixable breaks on it. We went out and looked at JDs and I'm not ready for a second mortgage. We ended up with a Husqvarna. Got 0% financing through a full service dealer. I opted for a heavier welded deck vs the stamped steel type because I'm pretty rough on mowers. This one is also good to go with up to 10% ethanol fuel.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...xls/960430282/

Comment

Working...
                              X