Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding on my mower

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,720 Posts
    I got it figured out. It is not pretty. I need to practice. I wish they had some night classes close by for welding

Thanks
    Thanked 11,581 Times in 4,525 Posts
    Tex might be able to make suggestions for improvement, or for finding training.
    quam minimum credula postero

Thanks
    Thanked 14,412 Times in 4,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by W.Lynn View Post
    Tex might be able to make suggestions for improvement, or for finding training.
    Ya, but now that he's "a politician" , can we believe him?
    I'm so awesome that my doctor gave me a special jacket so that I can hug myself.

Thanks
    So I got the deck welded, a new belt on it, the new spindles and blades on it, and off I went until.....

The damned transmission went out. It is a non serviceable hydraulic transmission. I am not sure what I have to do to get it back running now. I do know it is not the drive belt, beyond that, I dont know. Damn.

I did get 90% mowed before it blew up. At this point, I am seriously considering buying new.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redman2006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 579 Posts
    I had a similar issue just this past month. I had done a repair to the deck of my cheap 10 year old rider. It let go again part way through the mow. The engne is still strong and the rest of the mower is solid, it;s just the deck. A replacement can be had for about $250 but the shipping makes it well over $300. The whole mower only cost me 800 new. It always happens that when I dump money like that into something then something unfixable breaks on it. We went out and looked at JDs and I'm not ready for a second mortgage. We ended up with a Husqvarna. Got 0% financing through a full service dealer. I opted for a heavier welded deck vs the stamped steel type because I'm pretty rough on mowers. This one is also good to go with up to 10% ethanol fuel.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...xls/960430282/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boston_Joe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would really like a zero turn next go. The good ones are out of my budget. If I can hold out another year, I will probably do that and buy it through the clinic. I can pay it off in two years by mowing the clinic myself. What the heck, I already live there, what is another couple hours a week?

Which husqvarna did you get? They bought dixon, which used to be a strong brand, but then they discontinued it. The only local full service dealers here are Deere and Kubota. Otherwise you have big box stores with Cubcadet, Bad Boyz, Toro, Craftsman, Hustler, and Husqvarna. There is a full service tractor shop that sells Bad Boyz, but after my experience with them on tractor repair, I won't set foot back in their place. Liars and conmen. Anyone in North Georgia, avoid Goss Tractor like a whore with herpes.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,581 Times in 4,525 Posts
    Get a brand new one, void all the warranties by mad-maxing the crap out of it with your new welding skills.
    quam minimum credula postero

Thanks
    Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Did you get it figured out, Redman?

Tex
    = 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Thanks
    Hey Tex, long time no see. I hope all is well.

Yep. It is back together and running as well as a 13 year old mower can. It took me a while to get the settings right, but the 6013 seemed to do the best. Maybe someday I will get a mig welder, but for now this little cheap Hobart does the trick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 579 Posts
    I got the YT48DXLS. More than I wanted to spend, but thats always the case. I'm still looking for a new deck shell for the old one. It never hurts to have a back up.

See it here