Too much bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much bag?

I got an Eberlestock G4 pack a while ago but I'm wondering if I got too much bag. My 5.11 24 hr bag comes in at around 23 lbs. The G4 (although I haven't weighed it yet) has to be at least 1.5 to 2 times that heavy (without inserting a rifle in the scabbard and loading additional ammo). The only thing about that bag that I really like is that I can conceal (more or less) the rifle. What you y'all think? By the way, I'm 55, 5'10" and weigh 305 lbs

IMG_0612.JPGIMG_0611.JPG

When I was 18-21 and in literally fighting shape I could do 20 miles with a 60-80 Lb loadout today at 54 & 210# and "decent for my age" shape I shudder at the thought of trying to do that... especially without a DI or cranky Gunny motivating me to continue.

I have a 5.11 like yours that I EDC. I used it to do a Goruck Challenge about a year ago, I would have never been able to do it in a full sized ruck.

If that's your go to plan I'd say try doing 10 fast miles in it one day and decide if that is going to be a viable option for you.
    GORUCK.jpg
    [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

For fun type backpacking, I run about 25 to 35 lbs depending on the length of trip . I hit 45 lbs, and it starts to get to be much less fun. Can I carry more, yes, do I want to, nope. Pare it down. At our age, knees are getting more fragile as are hearts and backs.

Comment

It's hard to say for sure if you bought too big of a bag. It depends in large part on its intended use. If it's for casual use, I'm sure it's probably fine. Once the miles start adding up though, you'll probably wish you had a lighter bag pretty quickly. If the bag is for hunting and you need a rifle and enough ammo to take out a horde of zombies, you need to have something that is built for durability, which yours is. My original backpacking bag was a 65 liter and I had it filled to the brim. I'm pretty sure it weighed 40 pounds all in. That was dumb. I ended up selling most of it eventually and getting light weight equipment. Now I can barely feel it on my back.

On a different note, those green/camo molly(sp) bags scream military. It's probably not the best look to have during a breakdown of society.

Comment

As KK said, no one but you can say if it's too much bag other than you. We don't know if your stated 305lbs is a lot of Linebacker muscle, or "other" weight. In the original book, Morgan states something along the line of he's "260lbs, and not all of that is muscle", and if I remember right, his pack was supposed to be in the 60lb range. Is it doable? Sure. Will it be comfortable? Probably not. Only you can determine if the weight to usefulness of the carried items is worth it. If this is your GHB that you take in your vehicle with you, then I'm all for packing that sucker as full as possible. If something were to necessitate it's use, there's nothing that going to stop you from deciding that you don't want to carry all that stuff, and leaving some of it behind. But if there's something that you may need, and it's been left at home, then you don't have many options. I'd just as soon have a Walmart store in my trunk, so that I can make my best choices if the need arises.
          Nice bag BTW. KK mentioned that the military style bag may not be the best idea in a SHTF situation. That may be true, but in my opinion (worth every penny you're paying for it), it's no worse than a campers backpack. If someone is going to target you due to a green military style pack, they'd just as likely target you for a blue, black or other civilian backpack as well. I need to upgrade my pack, as I'm still hauling around an old A.L.I.C.E. pack in my car.
          Defund the Media !!

Comment

Agree with Kick. ANY bag will be a target for those that don't have. Finding one that is comfortable for you is important. I have an Eberlestock and it's a great bag, I also have a Crossfire DG6 which is probably the most comfortable bag I've ever carried. My biggest issue is fitness, I really have to get back into that.

Comment

I'm going to chime in here and parrot what other shave said about only you can decide what is best for you. I currently have the same situation with my bag. It's well over 50lbs total without any firearms attached. With my recent knee surgery I know that I need to lighten it up a bit. I also need to lighten me up a bit but that another story. I doubt that could make more than a few miles with that pack right now. Definitely not a good situation.

Comment

apache235, is that a Mystery Ranch bag? I have drooled over their packs for years.

Comment

I think the designer may have worked with mystery ranch or in fact may be, and worked with the Aussies. Wiggy's used to sell them but once he ran out that was it. I got mine for $275. Crossfire is now selling the DG 16 which looks very much like it but I don't know the difference. They are not cheap. At my age walking 20 miles with no pack would be a severe challenge let alone with 50 pounds on my back, but if I have to hump something I want my DG 6.

Comment

It says they are on the nice frame. I thought that was only mystery ranch packs, but maybe not. $275 for a good pack is not bad. I picked up a used ILBE that fits and feels great, but the dang thing is about 10lbs empty. About my max load is 60 lbs, though it is rated for 120. Still, for $50, it is a great pack. My Gregory for fun backpacking trips was a heck of a lot more, but I don't lose 10 lbs in pack weight alone.

Comment

Rob, (if that's ok?)

I'm close to your age, shorter, and a similar weight for my size & being a woman. I'm working on dropping my pounds, improving joint health, etc, so that I won't have to take my gear down too far based on decreased abilities.

That, and martial arts is fun.
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I want a larger pack. Mine doesn't hold enough. Even at "just a little bit too small" it can get too heavy.
                        This pack is a replacement for one I carried for many years before it wore out and it is nearly identical to the old one. It must be a somewhat standard design.
                        I have been considering one called an "assault pack."

Suggestions?

Comment

Without knowing your size, weight, body conditioning, current bag, size and weight of items to be carried, likely distances that it may need to be carried, which brand of assault pack (they vary), etc, its hard to suggest much.
                          Defund the Media !!

Comment

IMG_8133.jpgIMG_8134.jpgIMG_8135.jpg

This pack is lifetime warranted by a reputable company. I forget who, but I will find the info.

Age 62, 200#, reasonably fit. When I hunt, I carry my pack and gear up and down for miles in Colorado at about 10,000 feet elevation.

Comment

No mountains near me, they call this part of central Texas "the hill country" (but I think that's a joke.)
                              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
                              X