Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too much bag?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,564 Times in 4,516 Posts
    Rob, (if that's ok?)

I'm close to your age, shorter, and a similar weight for my size & being a woman. I'm working on dropping my pounds, improving joint health, etc, so that I won't have to take my gear down too far based on decreased abilities.

That, and martial arts is fun.
    quam minimum credula postero

2. The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I want a larger pack. Mine doesn't hold enough. Even at "just a little bit too small" it can get too heavy.
    This pack is a replacement for one I carried for many years before it wore out and it is nearly identical to the old one. It must be a somewhat standard design.
    I have been considering one called an "assault pack."

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,324 Times in 4,188 Posts
    Without knowing your size, weight, body conditioning, current bag, size and weight of items to be carried, likely distances that it may need to be carried, which brand of assault pack (they vary), etc, its hard to suggest much.
    I'm so awesome that my doctor gave me a special jacket so that I can hug myself.

Thanks
    IMG_8133.jpgIMG_8134.jpgIMG_8135.jpg

This pack is lifetime warranted by a reputable company. I forget who, but I will find the info.

Age 62, 200#, reasonably fit. When I hunt, I carry my pack and gear up and down for miles in Colorado at about 10,000 feet elevation.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,564 Times in 4,516 Posts
    No mountains near me, they call this part of central Texas "the hill country" (but I think that's a joke.)
    quam minimum credula postero

Thanks
    I was reading on another site that you want to try to keep your bag to between 10-20% of your body weight. This is dependent on mission of course, a patrol pack will be different from a GHB which will be different from a "lone wolf" type INCH bag. Depending on where you are this might be an alternative
    http://dixonrollerpack.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apache235 View Post
    I was reading on another site that you want to try to keep your bag to between 10-20% of your body weight. This is dependent on mission of course, a patrol pack will be different from a GHB which will be different from a "lone wolf" type INCH bag. Depending on where you are this might be an alternative
    http://dixonrollerpack.com/
    Nice lead! That could also be towed behind a bicycle.

Thanks
    What you need to be careful on is packing the bag. Since it's supported by one wheel, you must be very careful in balancing the load. I've found that packed with 50+ pounds of gear it carries like a 10 pound bag on your back, just make sure your heaviest items are centered on the frame.