Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Oregon

Hey everyone.

I have really enjoyed looking at your posts. Very informative and I love to learn about everything I can.

A little about me: mid 40’s, engaged, lived all my life in the Pacific Northwest (mainly central willamette valley/southern Oregon), been in law enforcement/investigations most of my life with a year or so working in a mill. Hobbies are hunting/ fishing, camping, gardening, spending time with friends and family.

I have been interested in edging from city life to a more rural existence. Unfortunately it seems the city has moved closer than I like so I am looking at possibly relocating to a more rural community closer to the Rockies mountains or Texas.

I’ve also been considering looking into a the options of living full time on a small catamaran in the Caribbean or South Pacific. Would be interesting to hear from some that have lived for a few years on a boat and see the pros and cons and also the likelihood of long term survival options.

I look forward to talking to everyone and learning.

Thanks, Terry

Welcome aboard!
    [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Welcome from the Great State of Texas!

Comment

Hi Terry, and welcome from south central New Mexico. I've been on a boat on our reservoir in the middle of the desert a few times , does that count ?
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Hi Terry! Another Oregonian here currently living on the coast. Grew up in Medford and worked as a Patrolman in a small town in the Rogue Valley years ago. Good group here, not many left-coasters though. I may be looking at other state options depending on how things shake out with measure 43.

Comment

Thank you everyone!

Medic mike you are a stone throw away. I’m due East about an hour.

Olfart, never been to northeast Texas, but have been around the Austin area and the hill country a lot. Brother had, and after his divorce will be getting another, hunting ranches out near camp wood. Supposed to be in Austin in late May, but will see if I’m healthy enough to make the trip. Been looking at properties out your way, but will have to spend a little time out there. Also looking at Corpus Christi, little woman wants to live tropical by the beach.

Kickstand I have been looking a little in NM for relocating. Which part of the state would you suggest? Only been across 64 in the northeast. Pretty desolate out that way.

Outlaw, not sure I could handle the humidity in the south. Worked/conferenced with some state investigators out of Alabama and Mississippi. They told me to never move from Oregon, but with how left it has become and the politics in this state I am not happy. I would prefer Idaho (a lot of family there), but the little woman wants warmth and the winters can be brutal.

Again, thanks everyone!

Terry

Comment

In case you hadn't noticed, Northeast Texas is part of the South, especially when it comes to humidity. We're covered with pine trees, and each mature pine tree pumps 100 gallons of water a day into the air. The mosquitoes love it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbamf View Post
                Thank you everyone!

Medic mike you are a stone throw away. I’m due East about an hour.

Terry
                Good to have a neighbor on here, I usually get over that direction a couple times a month.

Comment

Some folks think of the stifling heat and swarms of insects as downside, I like to think of it more as a "Defensive Feature"

As soon as the power goes out all of those yankees that flocked down here to "make the South better" will die or head back to whatever liberal shithole they crawled out of.
                  [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Kickstand I have been looking a little in NM for relocating. Which part of the state would you suggest? Only been across 64 in the northeast. Pretty desolate out that way.

Well, to be perfectly honest , I'm not sure that I would suggest NM to many folks. Geographicaly, it's almost like 2 different states.

Southern NM has a LOT of barren desert, little water, and where I'm at is within 30 miles of the US/Mexico border.

Northern NM is closer to what you're used to, being mountainous and forested, but that's where most of the liberal implants go when moving here from either coast, so us antisocial locals try to avoid that part. Unfortunately , our State Capital is also up there, so the libs tend to rule the legislature .

Ruidoso is beautiful mountain country, is supposed to be great skiing (I don't ski), and relatively low population. The town itself is highly geared towards tourism. The Mrs and I like to escape to there every now and again .
                    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Beautiful up there.
                      I have family in Grants Pass & Portland....I would love to liver there if it weren't so far from Texas

Comment

Greetings citizen!
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Aloha from Hawai'i.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding. I’ve been dealing with an medical issue and haven’t had the energy to get on in a while.

I appreciate the info on locals. My parents/son & brother live near Austin and I would like to live closer, but at this point it’s up in the air until my injuries have healed and I am more stable.

Medic mike, I look forward to meeting up with you some time. I love the Florence area, my mom grew up on woahink and sitcoms lakes. I would spend several weeks every summer on east Sutton lake fishing/hiking with my best friends family. I will pm you when I can travel over that way. I really want to take my old English mastiff to the beach. Just a little too big until my truck is done to fit in the car.

Lone star, I talked to my parents that have said east Texas is a lot like Oregon, well except the willamette valley that is an allergy assault for 8 months out of the year. I know West Texas pretty well as my brother had hunting ranches over there and luckily I do not get cedar fever! Boy I can’t wait until he buys another ranch.

Kailani, I can’t wait to head to Hawaii! Never been. The little woman has been several times and loves Kauai, but hasn’t visited, yet, Molokai and lanai .

Thanks again, T

Comment

Greetings from Okiehoma.
                              If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Working...
                              X