Entertained, but a bit saddened.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertained, but a bit saddened.

I'm in Book Three now........and these are the most enjoyable books I've read in years.

They are realistic and so interesting that it's hard to put them down.

Yet, they make me a little sad. So much destruction and........survival that is so difficult.

I realize that even though I'm more prepared than many.......it would take some luck to survive if it happened. Even Morgan needed some lucky breaks.

So it makes me a little sad. Not just for myself, but for the many.

Have you gotten this response before? It's an honest one.
    "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? See it could be that he wrote the writin' all wrong. Here I'd be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
    [Festus Haggen]

Hi Logos , glad you made it in. Sorry for the delay.

Although I don't know that anyone has said it in so many words, I think that we all feel that way. There will always be folks that just want to watch the world burn, and there will always be those who will try to gain power, prestige and loot while it's burning.
    The things that I enjoy most about the series are the humor, the family dynamic, and the comaraderie of brothers and sisters fighting for the greater good, rather than just every man for himself .
    I started reading this genre around 2010, and let me tell you , there's some dark stuff out there that I just don't enjoy. One of those is "One Second After". Although it's a well known and respected novel in the prepper community , I just found it depressing. And even it wasn't that bad.
    How long have you been prepping? Is it just you, or is there a family?
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Oh, me and my wife and a ten pound dog and two cats.

We're just semi-prepped. We live in a town of about 20,000 and have a couple of months of various supplies put away. We have plenty of ammo, guns and knives to trade. We're looking at installing some solar. We have a river a few blocks away for water.

After two months we're probably dead.

We're 70, so we're bugging in until whatever end comes.

As bad as things look sometimes.......I don't think it's actually going to happen, but we're semi-prepped anyhow.......just in case.
      "Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? See it could be that he wrote the writin' all wrong. Here I'd be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see?"
      [Festus Haggen]

Comment

Welcome, Logos. Bugging in has its merits IF you have the right place to bug into. In a city of any size ain't it. Make an effort to buy some acreage in the boonies far enough out that the city zombies won't be inclined to walk it, but close enough for you and yours to get there by some means. Yeah, I know... at 70 you may feel like you've gone about as far as you can. But as long as you can put one foot in front of the other, keep moving toward a goal. I'm 76 and still plugging along, learning new skills and improving on our "bug in" site as I go.

Hang in there and keep on reading. There's a treasure trove of information in those books.

Comment

Welcome Logos. It's never too late. I too consider myself only semi-prepared and anyone who knows anything about what we do would say they are never truly fully prepared. There will always be that one situation that Old Murphy will throw at you. Gear and food stores will take you most of the way there, but I believe that it is the mental preparedness that will get you through things. So many these days don't have it and will simply not make it very far.

Dig into the forum threads, there is a bounty of info here. If you don't see what you're after, ask about it. Folks here are always willing to share what they know.

Comment

Ok, now I know a little more about your situation. The Mrs & I are in a similar situation. Although we are pretty rural, we're near a fairly busy old highway in between two larger cities. El Paso, Tx/Juarez, Mexico (1.9 million people combined) is 25 minutes south, and Las Cruces, NM is 20 minutes north of us. I'm in my 50's, my wife is in her 60's, so like you, it's unlikely that we're going to be hiking to our preferred BOL in Northern California. We both do keep a GHB in our vehicle, in case we're away from home when the balloon goes up, at lease we'll have a chance to get to the house. Although I'm fairly close to a river, it's dry for three quarters of the year, only having flowing water during irrigation season. I figure that I've got enough supplies for about 4 to 6 months, so I have about that long to figure something out, or at least say our final goodbyes. The way I see it, prepping gives us some options that might not be available otherwise.

Anyways, welcome aboard.
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

Appreciate the responses!
              [Festus Haggen]

Comment

You can also make yourself busy reading some of the amazing pile of snarky comments, tasteless jokes, political (or anti-political, to be honest,) jokes, recipes, and sometimes even useful information to be found here.

And PLEASE add some!
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                  Ok, now I know a little more about your situation. The Mrs & I are in a similar situation. Although we are pretty rural, we're near a fairly busy old highway in between two larger cities. El Paso, Tx/Juarez, Mexico (1.9 million people combined) is 25 minutes south, and Las Cruces, NM is 20 minutes north of us. I'm in my 50's, my wife is in her 60's, so like you, it's unlikely that we're going to be hiking to our preferred BOL in Northern California. We both do keep a GHB in our vehicle, in case we're away from home when the balloon goes up, at lease we'll have a chance to get to the house. Although I'm fairly close to a river, it's dry for three quarters of the year, only having flowing water during irrigation season. I figure that I've got enough supplies for about 4 to 6 months, so I have about that long to figure something out, or at least say our final goodbyes. The way I see it, prepping gives us some options that might not be available otherwise.

Anyways, welcome aboard.
                  Thanks.

I guess we do what we can, improve on it if possible as we go along, and hope for the best.

There are various versions of SHTF and I'm prepared for some of the less extreme versions.

I think the worst version may be impossible to be prepared for, but we continue to move in the direction of improvement.
                  [Festus Haggen]

Comment

One ugly thing that I've noticed is that in a survival situation--which is sort of a war with no civil authority--you don't have jails.

You don't have any way of dealing with enemies except executing them on the spot. If you don't kill them, if you let them go.....they'll come back and kill you.

I see the dark at the end of the tunnel.
                    [Festus Haggen]

Comment

I think somebody once said:
                      "I prepare for without Rule of Law, because I know that that day can come quickly and with brute force.
                      But I love the Rule of Law, I like being able to go to work and not worry about bandits killing my family or
                      having to worry about our seeds sprouting because we wouldn't eat otherwise."

Anyone who's looking forward to a collapse has some stuff that needs to be worked out, it'll be dark times indeed. Sure, maybe some wrongs can be righted, but the cost of it will be higher than most can think about.
                      lofflorida.com

Comment

Originally posted by Logos View Post
                        One ugly thing that I've noticed is that in a survival situation--which is sort of a war with no civil authority--you don't have jails.

You don't have any way of dealing with enemies except executing them on the spot. If you don't kill them, if you let them go.....they'll come back and kill you.

I see the dark at the end of the tunnel.
                        That is the harsh reality of it Logos. But as Morgan said,I believe it was in book two," I will not spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder".

Comment

Working...
                        X