Welding rod suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding rod suggestions

I fell into a nice little hobart welder. AC/DC Stickmate. Anyway, long story short, I used to weld where I worked and can stick two pieces of metal together with a decent bead IF someone else sets up the welder and selects the rod. So, with that in mind, what rod do you keep on hand, when do you use it, and what books would you suggest for referencing this and amperage out in the shop?

I am not looking to anything more than non-critical repairs on tractors, equipment, fun projects, and diy builds. Most of what I do will be 1/4 or less in thickness. Not likely to do overhead at all. If the project allows, I will use dc, so that plays a role.

I know I have some 6011, 6013, 7014, 7018. I think all I have is 1/8 rod. I do have some stainless projects (cage repair at the clinic) I need to do, but I have not found stainless rod here.

The chart on the hobart is really vague and gives 30 amp variances on the same rod and thickness metal.

Any help is appriciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I did have a post a while back on the subject, but darned if I can find it.

6011/7018 I would say for most steel projects, not sure about stick welding on stainless, always thought of Mig/Tig for that

Tex would know better than I

Comment

Get thee over to facebook and get Tex to talk welding with you.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Has been a long time since I have grabbed a stinger on a stick welder (my little Mig handles anything I do anymore) but I would agree with Junior on rod selection, 6011 and 7018 are the two that I always kept on hand and were good at sticking most stuff together.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
          Get thee over to facebook and get Tex to talk welding with you.
          and make sure you've got your notepad ready

Comment

Depends on what you're welding on. If carbon steel no structural strength 6011.
            If for carbon with structural need, use the 7018 just remember to bake them at 250f or more for 4 or more hours.

Do not bake 6011 ever. 6011 has potassium added to the cellulose flux to allow it to weld with AC.
            When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

3/32" 7018 is the best all around rod. Most people tend to only get 1/8" rods which require more amps to stabilize the arc.
              The biggest trouble i see is that they are trying to run a 1/8" rod on something that is too thin and burn it up. I don't like 1/8" unless it is 3/8" or thicker.

Comment

Working...
              X