Porcelain throne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porcelain throne

We are doing a minor remodel in the bathroom and according to Mrs Joe we need to replace the toilet. Not because it doesn't function but because the enamel in the bowl is damaged and it's difficult to clean. Now I can do the work to replace the dang thing but I have never bought one of these before. Has anyone got any info on how to make a good choice? I like the idea of something that will work well with low water consumption. That way if the need ever arises to manually supply water we aren't wearing ourselves out moving water.

Be careful of the reduced water consumption types. Some of them don't flush well and require 2, 3 or more flushes to get stuff down. That eliminates any water saving. Also, depending on your setup, reduced water flow may not move the waste far enough down the line and cause a blockage.

Comment

Originally posted by olfart View Post
      Be careful of the reduced water consumption types. Some of them don't flush well and require 2, 3 or more flushes to get stuff down. That eliminates any water saving. Also, depending on your setup, reduced water flow may not move the waste far enough down the line and cause a blockage.
      This! I worked in a building that did a "Green" renovation, one of the "upgrades" was low water use toilets several months in they found that water use had actually increased due to...you guessed it multiple flushes required. This override any savings from the self shut off faucets in the restrooms and restrictors in all the other faucets and a high efficiency washing machine.
      [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Our current toilet is a 1.6 gfp model and it does take all the stuff away quite well. That said, I know that all things are not equal. Even with something new and hopefully improved there is always the possibility that the new fixture will not work as well as the old. I'm trying to educate myself before making the purchase and getting stuck up shitz creek without a plunger.

Comment

Build an outhouse. No water use, Mrs does not have to worry with white porcelain, no pipes to plug, no septic issues, no worry with it all going down in one flush, no toting water in an emegerncy. Come on man, think!

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
            Build an outhouse. No water use, Mrs does not have to worry with white porcelain, no pipes to plug, no septic issues, no worry with it all going down in one flush, no toting water in an emegerncy. Come on man, think!

Lol
            I like Reds thinking Lol! All you'd have to do is move the structure every TEN years with only you and the Mrs.

Comment

I have a feeling that if I was to build an outhouse I may as well build myself some living quarters on it too. She's not going to go for it. No way, no how.

Comment

Mrs Joe needs to man up
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

She's tough enough but she likes a certain level of comfort. I've got to admit, I like the idea of a nice place inside the house to do my reading.

Comment

When we were building the house we lived in an RV out here. I built one of these...
                    https://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Now that we're living in the big house and pooping like city folk I leave that (and the 50A Electric) for an RV hook-up for guests and I figure if the SHTF setting an outhouse over the top would be simple enough if the house septic system failed or got overwhelmed.

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

Comment

Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
                      She's tough enough but she likes a certain level of comfort. I've got to admit, I like the idea of a nice place inside the house to do my reading.
                      But the real question is : Did you tell her what I said.
                      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Not an exact quote. I still have to live here.

Comment

Joe, not sure what era home you live in, or what inspection is like there, but coming from my area of Appalachia, my 1978 home did not have to be inspected or meet any code. Talk about a learning experience.

Anyway, as we are working to remodel and repair, I found out that our line from the house to the septic does not have the correct fall. It even has a couple of low spots that hold solids if enough water is not used. To complicate the issue, the grey water has been piped, illegally I now know, out the back of the house and not into the septic. So now we have an issue if not having enough water for the septic to function correctly and no grey water to help flush solids on out the line. Many of the new toilets would be a wreck here.

Anyway, I just want to bring it up incase you are in a situation anything like ours. Make sure that the line has appropriate fall and enough water to move solids as needed before you go low flow on your toilet.

Comment

The house is 14 years old. The previous owner worked in the home construction trades and did many things himself but thankfully hired pros to do the electric,plumbing and septic. I'll just say that I can tell the original work from what he added later. No problems anything like what you wend through redman.

We ended up getting a KOHLER Highline Classic toilet. Not top of the line but not the bottom either. I've got to say it works very well for a 1.2 gpf toilet.

So now that the new flooring is in and the new toilet set. Next up is painting. Mrs. Joe took several days coming to a decisions on that. It's a nice gray, that to me looks amazingly similar to the other 27 shades that were in the running. So my weekend will be taken up with painting and hopefully I can get the vanity and washer/drer back in place before Monday.

Comment

You know that color won't look right after it dries, right?.....................Just sayin

Comment

Working...
                              X