No announcement yet.

A new chainsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned my Stihl MS180 for about a year and a half now, and figured that it was time for an update.

First and foremost, the chain is still getting oiled as it's supposed to. I've had several saws that after about a year or so, the oil pump would just quit working, making the saw useless.

I REALLY like this saw. Yes, it's still a bit underpowered, but knowing it's limitations and working within them help a lot. I have felled a couple of trees that were pretty much the limit of the 16" bar & chain without coming from the opposite side. I think that on the last one I dropped, the end of the chain wasn't quite long enough to get all the way through the bark on the widest section. With that said, it has done everything that I have asked of it, as long as it has a sharp chain. This is absolutely critical!

As I stated earlier in this thread, I had never attempted to sharpen a chain. In the past, I either bought a new chain, or, more recently, have had my local Stihl dealer sharpen it. I have to say, after getting it sharpened at the dealer this most recent time, I wasn't impressed. Honestly, I think that it was sharper before he worked on it. Almost immediately after getting it back, the saw started making a curved cut, which says that one side of the chain is sharper than the other. Unfortunately, it sat for about a week before I found out, and I didn't want to be "that guy", so I didn't take it back to complain. This convinced me that I had to learn how to sharpen a chain.

Having used my fair share of power tools as an auto mechanic, I know how easy it is to overdo things, and how hard it is to be consistent, so I opted to go for the manual route. I found the correct size for my saw, and ordered this "2 in 1" tool.

20200108_085652.jpg

I received the kit a couple of days later, but didn't need it quite yet, so I put the kit away. Yesterday, I decided that it was time to sharpen my chain. Do you think that I could find where I had put my new kit?! Nope. Searched high and low, to no avail. After a couple of hours of searching and cussing, I gave up, figuring that I would find it later.

I went out to my car today, and there was my kit, in the back-end. I'm pretty sure that I had looked there yesterday, but may have been too agitated to see it, it wasn't hard to spot. Cool, time to learn!

I watched a video or two on how to use it, but that's kind of like trying to learn how to swim by watching a video. I then mounted my small vice to the bed of my pickup bed, secured the saw into it, and gave it a go. I gave each tooth three strokes of the file. It probably took 10 minutes from start to finish, and that's only because I was figuring out what I was doing as I went. I would expect that it will go faster next time.

I then tried cutting a 12 to 14 inch log. Almost like butter! Nice big chips again. I'll admit, it's not quite as sharp as a new chain, but not bad for my first attempt. Definitely better than the last time the dealer sharpened it. Now that I have used this tool and understand the process, I think that I might be able to do a touch-up using just a file. I'll let you know if I decide to try.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

That's the sharpener I use, it makes a tedious task a piece of cake.
      [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

I use a Dremel tool with the appropriate sized stone. Quick and easy. When you find that sharpening the chain no longer helps, you'll need to file down the depth gauges a couple of strokes each. That makes almost as much difference as sharpening. Going too far with the depth gauges will cause the saw to bog down, so be careful.

Comment

That's one of the beauties about this kit, when used right, it takes the rakers down at the same time as sharpening the blades.
          Defund the Media !!

Comment

That's cool. I should've looked at the link before commenting. Thanks, Kick.

Comment

I like mine. I like it much better than a dremel because I can sharpen in the wood lot without power. I found it did much better than I do freehand or with other guides.

Comment

On the subject of chainsaws, does anyone use the premixed fuel? I bought a gallon because my local gas stations quit carrying ethanol free fuel. Damned expensive, and it may be my imagination, but it seems not to have the same power as gasoline. I will buy a gallon or two for emergency use and keep it on the shelf as it has a long shelf life if unopened, but certainly not for regular use after this is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                  On the subject of chainsaws, does anyone use the premixed fuel? I bought a gallon because my local gas stations quit carrying ethanol free fuel. Damned expensive, and it may be my imagination, but it seems not to have the same power as gasoline. I will buy a gallon or two for emergency use and keep it on the shelf as it has a long shelf life if unopened, but certainly not for regular use after this is gone.
                  So far, in THIS saw, I have used only the Stihl premix at $30 a gallon. In 1.5 years, I've gone through about 2 gallons. If I used the saw a lot more, I would likely do something different. The next time I need any, I will probably get the other brand of premix at Home Depot for $20 a gallon.
                  Since I have never used anything other than premix in this saw, I can't say how premix compares to you-mix.
                  I do wish that I could find a way to set the saw when I'm done with it so that the fuel and chain oil don't leak out. I've set it flat, on each side, and even upside-down. Nothing seems to help. This Stihl is much better than any of my previous saws, but it still happens.
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

It may have a different oiler style than my bigger stihl, but this 461 does not leak. My little husqvarna 51 likes to dribble oil everywhere. I keep an old cookie sheet under it to keep it from making a massive mess.

My big saw loves fuel. It goes through a good bit, and I use it a lot since my little 51 is just about worn out. Those cans would add up in a hurry.

Comment

I just thought of something, does your stihl have an adjustable oiler like their bigger saws? If so, can you tighten it down when you store it? You would just have to make sure to reopen it before next use. Of course I am saying this to the guy that lost his brand new sharpener in less than 24 hours...

Comment

Didn't know that some oilers were adjustable. Will look into that, thanks!

Edit:. It wasn't in 24 hours...it was about a week....ass
                        Defund the Media !!

Comment

I mix my own using 91 high octane gas, never have i purchased a premix. I use my mix in all my two cycle tools. FYI, never use fuel with ethanol in it, it just ruins those tools if fuel sits in it for a period of time.

RD
                          Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

No, you lost it in 24 hours, it took you a week to realize it was lost.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                              No, you lost it in 24 hours, it took you a week to realize it was lost.
                              Hmm...where is it? Where's that other thing that I misplaced (notice: misplaced, not lost)? Aha, there it is!
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Had a little Husqvarna 40cc 18" bar that i got for my 18th birthday, couple of new chains and a bar replacement was running great up until it was stolen recently. Nearly 30 years of service including heavy use when i was doing landscaping/tree work. Also run a larger 60cc model with a 24" bar for larger work, that i have had for about 15years.

Comment

Working...
                                X