Memorial Day Role Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day Role Call

Many forget, or dont even know, the real reason we observe Memorial Day. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the day at the lake, grilling out with family and friends or just kicking back and watching the Coca-Cola 600. But when you are enjoying the day however you will, remember the ones this holiday is truly set aside for. Those in our military who have fought and paid the ultimate price for peace and freadom for us and for others in forign lands. Lets start a role call. If you have a family member, friend, neighbor, acquaintance, etc... anyone you know who gave their life in service of our country, post their names here.
    images.jpeg

SGT LEWIS J PELFREY
    United States Army
    Born 22 FEB 1931
    Died 28 DEC 1952 KIA in Korea
    Last edited by gpwelding1; 05-29-2017, 06:42 PM.

The only one that I could list is/was a "friend" from this board. He wasn't American, and wasn't part of the American military, yet his death
    while fighting in the Stan hit me harder than the death of some of my local close, personal friends.
    Deerhound, we miss you buddy.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Although he passed from far more natural causes , I would like to remember fellow site member Big Bob . He was a Vietnam vet, about as cantancorous as they come, and a big part of the early days of this board . Until Valhalla Bob.
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

There is a veteran's museum in Branson, Mo, with a long, large room, with sections for the different wars, and the (known) dead from them in smallish text, including the Civil War. Last summer when we went, I found family names all around that room, too many to try to list from memory, and I took pictures. I would encourage the trip, if you can stomach the plastic & neon that is Branson. The rest of that museum is also very nice, but that one very bare room with walls of names was what I went for. There are benches, bring your own handkerchief, there's some dust or something.

20160711_145829.jpg

Here's one, I have over 20 more like it, every part of the family.
        Last edited by W.Lynn; 05-29-2017, 11:24 AM. Reason: The Bishops are mom's paternal side..
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Michael T (Tom) Mahoney 5th SFG. KIA Viet Nam January '68

Comment

Couldn't get past MEPS after being run over, the will was there, but the body was too broken. Recalibrated, and went into fields I could still do some good. It wasn't the same, but it was all I could, and the best I could do.

It is my belief that every able bodied person should serve, and for those who are restricted in the way I was, they could do something rather than throw up their hands giving up, or worse, refuse to even try.

Every male on my Grandfathers side served. Between them, Army, Marines, and Navy, were served going back to just after the civil war. Some member of my family has served in every medium to major conflict since that time. My youngest brother had three tours in the sandbox, oldest sister covered the first Iraqi war.

The next generation is coming up now.

I've been given the perspective to see what it is our men and women fight against. It sickens me to hear and see the liberal mindset. In one breath they exercise freedoms paid for in blood and in the other, attack the very people who protect those freedoms. Such as that has never seen true hardship.

There are people in the world who ask if there will be a meal, not what's for supper. They go to sleep with no assurance they aren't killed in that sleep. Their lives are grinding poverty filled with only lesser and greater degrees of despair and misery. Speaking out against their government is a death sentence, if they are lucky enough to avoid being tortured and left maimed and broken.

The only thing standing between much of that and the average Joe or Jane American are those that stand watched in our Armed Forces. Given that, my mind cannot wrap itself around those that don't think of the blood given so that they can have their safe spaces and crayons.

There should be a moment of prayer daily for those that serve, not just one day for brief lip service.

My opinion for what it's worth.
            When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

My high school friend - David Fleskes. We worked at the local Fareway grocery and then the overnight shift at the local produce hauler. Just the nicest , straight up kid I knew. Lost to Vietnam. Rest in peace my Friend. I spend time by your name every time the Traveling Wall comes within 100 miles.

Comment

Cwi, they also serve who get educated and invent, design, or improve the things our forces need. You get points for every soldier that has breathed a prayer of thanks for something you might have helped along.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Federico Borjas, Sgt. USA 416th CA Bn 10/16/08

Bradley Bohle, SFC. USA 7th SFG 09/16/09

The world is a lesser place without you, I miss you my brothers.
                  Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Working...
                  X