Opinions wanted ESSE 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted ESSE 4

So I received an ESEE 4 serrated for Christmas for my ghb, I was really thinking on the plain edge. I can send it back and trade it in for the plain edge. Opinions on what to do?

First off , understand that everyone has their own preferences . Personally , i prefer a section of serration. There's just times when it comes in handy, IMHO.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

For me, I am a no serrations guy with one notable exception, my riding chaps knife where something like a nylon lariat rope may have to be cut in an emergency.

One thing about the four is that it is so thick, you may find serrations to help with certain cutting chores. Sharpening them is another thing all togethe: try doing that in the field with a flat stone. For me, the 4 is a "survival" type knife. if I need to use it heavily, I likely won't have a good way to sharpen the serrations.

Comment

I use to be a serrations guy for many years, now I'm a plain edge guy. My reason against serrations is that my EDC knife is also paired with my Gerber multitool that has a small saw on it, if I need serrations I can whip out my multitool. Like Redman said also, serrations can be a major pain to sharpen. And also like Kick said, everyone has their own preferences and their own reasons.
        lofflorida.com

Comment

non serration for me. Ive had an esee 6 for years. however my machete has serrations on the back.

Comment

i used to like serration as well, but sharpening in the field was a pain. i have a LMFII, that now sports NO serrations thanks to a knife guru mate... the best mod ive ever had done to a blade. this is my main
            go to for sharp work, i still have my other tools as well, like my rat1, and my leatherman wave, both carried everyday, even on Sundays...

Comment

My dad had a knife, not sure what brand, that I hope he hasn't given away or gotten rid of over the years, had a short bit of serrations on the spine. Takes getting used to, but when you do, it's fine. Had it so long ago, when things were still made in the USA, but I saw it on every camping, hunting, or fishing trip, in case he had a job he wanted a heavier blade for than the average folder would have.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
              X