No announcement yet.

Beginner Prepper for 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee, there are still lots of places to buy moccasins - if you can't make your own. Now, they might cost more than you expect... but making shoes is a good SHTF skill.

Comment

Mocs are easy, but plan on learning to tan leather. Though make-do sandles can be whipped up in a jiffy from all kinds of things.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by Valliam13 View Post
        I keep trying to get a job at my husband's work but he tells me I don't want to work in that circus. I just want to see him more often. So he would probably need the majority of stuff as I'm usually never farther than 5 miles from home.

Would it make better sense to carry multiple platypus bags instead of 1 platypus and a few canteens??

I have one 1qt canteen for external carry and a 2 qt Platypus bag carried in the GHB. I figure that's enough for me for a day-and-a-half trek home in the Southern heat. I also have a Sawyer Mini filter but don't really expect to use it. I keep almost a full case of water at work at all times so will have plenty to fill my canteen & Platypus if I have to walk home without worrying about finding clean water.

For an INCH bag, I have a second Platypus bag for the filtration process. That's where I plan on using the Sawyer Mini filter. Water will be a primary concern, but also weighs a lot when carrying it for long treks.
        Last edited by BlueWolf; 09-04-2016, 06:13 PM.

Keep your powder dry and eyes open...

Comment

We went shopping today.. hehehe. What is INCH?

Comment

I'm Never Coming Home bag.
            lofflorida.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sacajawea View Post
              Gee, there are still lots of places to buy moccasins - if you can't make your own. Now, they might cost more than you expect... but making shoes is a good SHTF skill.
              I can make something sturdy that won't fall apart or kill my feet, but a fashion statement they are not. The words 'butt ugly' apply to my efforts thus far.
              When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I have an article on that right here. It doesn't tell you everything but it may give you some ideas.

Family Survival: 5 Tips for Distributing Gear

Comment

I could give you a list of things in my pack. You'd all think I was insane. I've got socks and boxers, and batteries and a solar charger, to wet wipes, to magazines for my rifle, that's also in my car. . Unless I happen to be on a trip out of town, 20 miles is the furthest I'll ever have to walk from the nearest city. I'll do that in a couple days depending on situation and how I'm able to travel. Pack your bag heavy, let the car carry it. You can always dump things that you may not need depending on the situation.

Comment

Don't forget toilet paper. Even in a non-SHTF scenario, toilet paper is very good to have. I've had to use my supply while being on the back of the farm, or on a neighbor's farm. After all, when you hear the call of nature, you have to respond. ;-) The "industrial" type is usually better to carry than the fancy soft stuff.

As for shoes, I've seen some designs made using cut-up automotive tires. Those require a substantial amount of work to produce, and it's better to use the aramid fiber ones than the steel fiber ones. They'll be heavy, but they'll protect your feet against stepping on things. If one thinks ahead, you can make replacement tire soles which strap to your normal shoes before they've worn out.

The socks and undies are a good idea. Trench foot is a very real possibility, and will stop you from making progress. Crotch-rot isn't much fun, either. The wet-wipes are a good idea (I probably need to replace my canister of them; they do dry out.). The batteries and solar charger are good, as long as a NEMP doesn't take out the equipment that they're used in (Hmm, would a NEMP zap an LED flashlight? Don't know.).

As for the magazines and rifle, I prefer a revolver, usually in .22 caliber, and usually in stainless steel. It's lighter weight than a rifle, and functions reliably, even when dirty. I can carry 100 rounds for it with almost no weight penalty. Just make sure you have the appropriate license/permit for it before the SHTF time.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X