Hi from SW Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from SW Missouri

Hi! Phil from Clever, MO in the Southwest part of Missouri, about 20 miles SW of Springfield.
    I am an Emergency Management Director for Christian County. Mostly rural with about 90,000 residents.
    Thru the office, we teach CERT class and have taught about 1,100 so far with about 200 active members. 2014 we were the most outstanding CERT initiative in the country.

Being the emergency management director, it is my job to plan, prepare, respond to and recover from any type of large natural or man made disaster. I also feel that my family should also do the same!! Except I don't subscribe to the 3 day thing.......I should be able to survive indefinitely, without to much help from anyone else.
    With the job, as you might imagine, I get to hear and see alot of things that most people don't. Believe me, not many people are prepared for a SHTF incident. Most are not prepared for a DAY without electricity or modern conveniences!
    I also have to keep up on events around the country, trends, investigations, etc. From what I see, something is gonna happen. Not sure what, when or how...there's just too may crazy people, people that absolutely hate America, and are willing to do anything to make us suffer!

So, personally I have been making it a point to be more prepared. House in the country, chicken coop, garden, green house, some solar panels, shop, wood heat...I'm gettin' there!

Last month, I got to have lunch with A. American!!! Highlight of the decade!! I think I enjoyed his company that day more than going to the White House to get our CERT award!!! A great guy, a great american and a pleasure to meet!

PA

welcome from Florida!
    People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
    ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Welcome from WI

Comment

Glad to have you around. When you settle in, and have time I think I'd like your thoughts on how to go about getting a small community (even if it's not everyone) prepared and organized enough to get through a major event.

Comment

Welcome from south central New Mexico. Ok, you've met the big guy, have you read the books? Carry a GHB?
          Defund the Media !!

Comment

welcome from CO, well for now

do you have your own Ham setup yourself?

Comment

Welcome from up near the Gateway City!
              Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

I wish I had most of that! Welcome, we will appreciate your inside view.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome from PA ... PA

Comment

Welcome from SE WV. I would like to have some solar panels, but have no clue what I would need. Your job definitely puts you in the thick of things and gives you the opportunity to better prepare your community and your family.

Comment

Welcome aboard from Okiehoma. Grew up in Cabool, 60 miles south east Springfield.
                      If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Prepared Community

Originally posted by Sacajawea View Post
                        Glad to have you around. When you settle in, and have time I think I'd like your thoughts on how to go about getting a small community (even if it's not everyone) prepared and organized enough to get through a major event.
                        It is quite difficult to get a community prepared!! I get this question ALOT! It helps (sadly) to have a few disasters! We've been declared a disaster area 9 times since 2002. Flooding, tornadoes and ice storms...and, we are pretty close to Joplin...which was the BIG one!
                        We teach CERT. Which I think, is the best way to go about it. People take the class, then if they want to, they can become volunteers for us. If they don't, don't care, they are just better prepared citizens. It took me 4-5 patient years to get the program really rolling. Have taught about 1,100 now, and have about 200 pretty active volunteers.
                        We have ALOT of preppers take the class. Last class was probably 85% preppers!!

Research the CERT program. Here's our page: http://ema.christiancountymo.gov/cert.htm

It takes a good leader to start with. One that is not a loud mouth know it all, humble, good speaker, like-able...one that is willing to make a commitment!

Once they become volunteers, we get them to Red Cross sheltering training, wilderness search and rescue training, personal safety, National Incident Management training, 1st Responder Medical, etc. (you can find CERT levels on our website).

Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas.

Phil A

Comment

The "big guy" was awesome!! Yes, I have read all his books! I do have a bag...I keep enough supplies in the pack for a 2 day hike back home. I have a separate bag with "additional supplies" in case I am farther away from home (sometimes I have to travel for work to Jefferson City 180 miles). Of course, if it takes longer, I have a small fishing kit, weapons naturally, stuff to make snares-traps. It also serves me well as my search and rescue bag. Our office and volunteers do all the missing persons and wilderness search and rescues for the sheriff's dept.

Comment

I do not have my license yet...I believe me, my Amateur Radio volunteers bug me EVERYDAY about getting it!
                            But, I do have an old ICOMM and a newer UV-82 BaoFeng. They pretty much stay in the faraday cage.

Comment

hsehntr98; Where at exactly in SE WV? I was born in Keyser, WV. Live there until I was 15. I SOOOOO miss West by god Virginia!!!!!!!
                              Went back last year, almost didn't leave!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X