Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from SW Missouri

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 556 Posts
    Welcome aboard from Okiehoma. Grew up in Cabool, 60 miles south east Springfield.
    If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Thanks

Prepared Community

Quote Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
    Glad to have you around. When you settle in, and have time I think I'd like your thoughts on how to go about getting a small community (even if it's not everyone) prepared and organized enough to get through a major event.
    It is quite difficult to get a community prepared!! I get this question ALOT! It helps (sadly) to have a few disasters! We've been declared a disaster area 9 times since 2002. Flooding, tornadoes and ice storms...and, we are pretty close to Joplin...which was the BIG one!
    We teach CERT. Which I think, is the best way to go about it. People take the class, then if they want to, they can become volunteers for us. If they don't, don't care, they are just better prepared citizens. It took me 4-5 patient years to get the program really rolling. Have taught about 1,100 now, and have about 200 pretty active volunteers.
    We have ALOT of preppers take the class. Last class was probably 85% preppers!!

Research the CERT program. Here's our page: http://ema.christiancountymo.gov/cert.htm

It takes a good leader to start with. One that is not a loud mouth know it all, humble, good speaker, like-able...one that is willing to make a commitment!

Once they become volunteers, we get them to Red Cross sheltering training, wilderness search and rescue training, personal safety, National Incident Management training, 1st Responder Medical, etc. (you can find CERT levels on our website).

Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas.

Phil A

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Amtower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The "big guy" was awesome!! Yes, I have read all his books! I do have a bag...I keep enough supplies in the pack for a 2 day hike back home. I have a separate bag with "additional supplies" in case I am farther away from home (sometimes I have to travel for work to Jefferson City 180 miles). Of course, if it takes longer, I have a small fishing kit, weapons naturally, stuff to make snares-traps. It also serves me well as my search and rescue bag. Our office and volunteers do all the missing persons and wilderness search and rescues for the sheriff's dept.

Thanks
    I do not have my license yet...I believe me, my Amateur Radio volunteers bug me EVERYDAY about getting it!
    But, I do have an old ICOMM and a newer UV-82 BaoFeng. They pretty much stay in the faraday cage.

Thanks
    hsehntr98; Where at exactly in SE WV? I was born in Keyser, WV. Live there until I was 15. I SOOOOO miss West by god Virginia!!!!!!!
    Went back last year, almost didn't leave!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Amtower View Post
    I do not have my license yet...I believe me, my Amateur Radio volunteers bug me EVERYDAY about getting it!
    But, I do have an old ICOMM and a newer UV-82 BaoFeng. They pretty much stay in the faraday cage.
    if you have any questions there is a few of us here that have our tickets

Thanks
    Hello from NE Oklahoma neighbor. I'm a deputy in Delaware County. Feel free to get in contact with me if your ever around Grand Lake.

Thanks
    Welcome for ohio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntoy View Post
    Welcome aboard from Okiehoma. Grew up in Cabool, 60 miles south east Springfield.
    Been thru Cabool several times...on the way to Florida, Memphis. If I remember right, if you stay on 60 hwy, you miss most of the town.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Hi Phil.... I think my WV location is way closer to Keyser than HH is.

And I'm also a general - who still isn't getting that much experience because I'm doing other things too. So, I won't bug ya about the license, until I get my act together!