No announcement yet.

Chickens and all things fowl..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just out of high school and no good paying jobs to be found I went to work on a fair sized farm . Part of their income was eggs and chicken meat. The man of the farm did the crops. The lady did the cattle and chickens. I was the farm hand an done both for a whopping 20 dollars a day plus room and board and gas for my pick up. This lady at the time was in her mid 60's and you didn't want to try keeping up to her when it came to gathering scrubbing and candling eggs or dressing a chicken. She would order 100 peeps a year and kill the 2 year olds when the pollutes started producing that kept her at 200 layers year round.
    Her chickens were raised in long narrow coops around 40 foot long and 10 feet wide with nesting boxes and floor space to run around . She kept 50 hens to a coop with one rooster in each.
    There was a 1/4 inch wire line from the roof of the coops that ran 30 yards and slightly down hill to the side of the canning house that held the gas fired scolder and a single bird plucker. Steel rods that were made for the wire kind of folded over the wire then like a close hanger but they had a notch bent in them that their feet went in and held them there upside down. I would use a chicken hook like I described above you got pretty good at snagging on the first try after a while . Then you got them and put their feet in the holder then grabbed their head stretched the neck down and with your Sharp knife just cut the heads off. Them flapping and gravity took them right down to the canning house mostly bled out by the time they got there. I would kill 20 at a time then go down and help her.
    Dip them in the scolder put them in the plucker then into another hot water tank . Then scrape them , then clean them (hot chicken guts whew) then in to the last wash tank Then hang them to dry . Then she would fold the necks in with the heart and gizzards wrap them and put into the freezers. She sold everything we killed to the same store that bought all her eggs every day. We would do all 100 in a day . At the end of the day there was a solid red streak about 2 feet wide from the coops to the canning house . That old girl was a hell of a worker and a teacher. I doubt her husband would have ever made that farm produce with out her.

Comment

just out of high school and no good paying jobs to be found I went to work on a fair sized farm . Part of their income was eggs and chicken meat. The man of the farm did the crops. The lady did the cattle and chickens. I was the farm hand an done both for a whopping 20 dollars a day plus room and board and gas for my pick up. This lady at the time was in her mid 60's and you didn't want to try keeping up to her when it came to gathering scrubbing and candling eggs or dressing a chicken. She would order 100 peeps a year and kill the 2 year olds when the pollutes started producing that kept her at 200 layers year round.
      Her chickens were raised in long narrow coops around 40 foot long and 10 feet wide with nesting boxes and floor space to run around . She kept 50 hens to a coop with one rooster in each.
      There was a 1/4 inch wire line from the roof of the coops that ran 30 yards and slightly down hill to the side of the canning house that held the gas fired scolder and a single bird plucker. Steel rods that were made for the wire kind of folded over the wire then like a close hanger but they had a notch bent in them that their feet went in and held them there upside down. I would use a chicken hook like I described above you got pretty good at snagging on the first try after a while . Then you got them and put their feet in the holder then grabbed their head stretched the neck down and with your Sharp knife just cut the heads off. Them flapping and gravity took them right down to the canning house mostly bled out by the time they got there. I would kill 20 at a time then go down and help her.
      Dip them in the scolder put them in the plucker then into another hot water tank . Then scrape them , then clean them (hot chicken guts whew) then in to the last wash tank Then hang them to dry . Then she would fold the necks in with the heart and gizzards wrap them and put into the freezers. She sold everything we killed to the same store that bought all her eggs every day. We would do all 100 in a day . At the end of the day there was a solid red streak about 2 feet wide from the coops to the canning house . That old girl was a hell of a worker and a teacher. I doubt her husband would have ever made that farm produce with out her.

Comment

It doubled and wont let me get rid of it?

Comment

She sounds like a tough old bird herself, reminds me somewhat of my Grandma. Contrary to what some people think, hard work will keep you young and spry longer than most might expect. I idolized that woman until the day she died - she sat down to to clean some beans for dinner and just never got up -she was 93 and even though she was always outside in the sun & weather she didn't look a day over 70! I know that may still sound old to some of you. The older you get, the better it looks.

Comment

Joyce, when the weather turns really cold, 15 degrees or less, do you put any kind of heat source in your chicken coop? I have a 13 w CFL red bulb in the coop to help with keeping them warm, but also to try to keep their water thawed. It doesn't seem to help with the water much so I was thinking of changing to a red heat lamp bulb used for brooder lamps. My concern is that it will get them to hot and possible hazard with the pine shavings on the floor of the coop. The bulb setup is near the top of one of the lids for access, so it is about 6-8 inches from the floor. Is that to close to the floor? Just worrying about my birds freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by hsehntr98 View Post
              My neighbor across the street had chickens when I was much younger and I can remember when he would kill them he would just grab em by the neck and twist until it came off and the body would run around until it fell over.
              Ya gotta draw a circle in the dirt with a cross in it-when you take their heads off throw them in the circle. They won't flop, then.
              Of course your mileage may vary...
              Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Mickey, before I answer just let me know are you talking about your new chicks or the older chickens. It does make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by southernmom View Post
                  Ya gotta draw a circle in the dirt with a cross in it-when you take their heads off throw them in the circle. They won't flop, then.
                  Of course your mileage may vary...
                  Do, HUH?
                  Southernmom, I have always trusted your word on things when we would visit about things around the ranch, but that sounds like one of those old cracker wive's tales. LOL.

You can bet the I will dang sure be giving it a try when we butcher chickens again.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Joyce, I am talking about the older chickens that I have right now. I won't be ordering the chicks until next week an they won't be here until April. Also, I think you mentioned that you have Guinea hens. What kind do you have? Can they be put in with the chickens or do they need separate housing. Any information you can give me would be helpful. I am thinking of ordering some when I order the chickens, but have no clue what kind to order, Thanks

Comment

Joyce, when the weather turns really cold, 15 degrees or less, do you put any kind of heat source in your chicken coop? I have a 13 w CFL red bulb in the coop to help with keeping them warm, but also to try to keep their water thawed. It doesn't seem to help with the water much so I was thinking of changing to a red heat lamp bulb used for brooder lamps. My concern is that it will get them to hot and possible hazard with the pine shavings on the floor of the coop. The bulb setup is near the top of one of the lids for access, so it is about 6-8 inches from the floor. Is that to close to the floor? Just worrying about my birds freezing.
                      I've seen it get down to -35 around here and we have never worried about putting a heat lamp in with the hens. The chicks will always have a heat lamp or two, because they haven't grown their feathers yet. The grown stuff has all their feathers though and they seem to get along just fine. I've seen them sort of huddle together on the roosts, but as long as they don't get left out overnight by themselves, they seem to get along just fine.

As far as their water goes, we try to give them fresh water everyday. Most times, their little water dishes will freeze over, so they just get watered when we fill up the trough for the milk cows and the goats. I will usually let a little run out on the ground and make puddles and that seems to do them just fine. I also see them eating snow pretty regular too.

The biggest problem we have now is making more room. We have somewhere between 80 and 100 hens and they take up alot of room. The little building we used to use as a coop is going to be made into a new blind for antelope hunters and the new coop is going to be the back of the top barn. I did a little finagling and got some good heavy bird netting that will be stretched floor to ceiling across the south end of our top barn and I'm going to make one whole side of the netted off section into the roost.

Now I just need more help.

Tex
                      = 2
                      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

You can start guinea chicks with the chicks, but they will eventually want to run loose. Ours will roost in the barn rafters when it is cold and they will sometimes want to feed out of the chicken feeders, but they spend most of their time running loose. It is not unusual to see the guineas way out in the pastures hunting up bugs. They know where the barn is and where we feed, so they will make a swing through usually about dark, but come daylight, they are gone.

Tex
                        = 2
                        sigpic

Comment

Tex I would love to come help you, but husband is not as healthy as he used to be, so leaving him alone for extended periods of time is not doable at this time. I am waiting for my barn/coop to get here. It should be here next week, then I can get it ready for them and then move them in. Tex how big is your ranch? In the summertime have you been in a drought situation or have you been getting enough snowfall to have water in the summer?

Comment

Joyce, I am talking about the older chickens that I have right now. I won't be ordering the chicks until next week an they won't be here until April. Also, I think you mentioned that you have Guinea hens. What kind do you have? Can they be put in with the chickens or do they need separate housing. Any information you can give me would be helpful. I am thinking of ordering some when I order the chickens, but have no clue what kind to order, Thanks
                            First, I agree you might have a problem if you have a light only 6-8 inch's off the ground. I use a 50 watt incandescent bulb that I have hanging about 3 1/2 - 4 feet off the floor. I have it off to one side so that if they get too warm they can move over to the other side of the coop to cool off. I only leave it on on the very coldest days, 10 degrees or colder. Tex is right, they really don't need the light, it just makes me feel better and having extra light does help ensure better egg production in the winter. I've had that argument with a couple people in the past but it works for me so I'm not gonna change. My chicks I always brood in the house for the first two weeks. Once I move them to the pen I keep them separated by a chicken wire fence from the adults for another 2-3 weeks. I've heard different stories of whether or not you should mix them from the start but I don't cause I know my girls don't take well to newcomers, they would just kill them. I have found that just having them in the same area but separated by the "fence" they get acclimated to each other well enough that when I do put them together it usually goes more smoothly. You can't always be certain. Sometimes the older birds will still kill off one or two of the chicks; but usually by the time they are a month old they're getting big enough and aren't so defenseless.

I have never mixed my chicks with guinea keets. To be honest, I'm not totally sure why except my Grandma always said the guineas would kill the chicks. She said they were like oil & water, one was a wild bird and one was domesticated. I can't really tell you. As adults mine have always gone their separate ways and I've never had any problems. Maybe someoneelse here has more experience and can advise you on that. It's just one of those things Gram was adamant about and I just followed her lead.

I have a question for you. Do you use only the shavings on the floor of your coop or do you also put down some sand under them? That's another one of those things me and my other chicken friends and I "argue" about.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                              Do, HUH?
                              Southernmom, I have always trusted your word on things when we would visit about things around the ranch, but that sounds like one of those old cracker wive's tales. LOL.

You can bet the I will dang sure be giving it a try when we butcher chickens again.

Tex
                              It's totally a cracker wive's tale thing. Let me know if it works for ya. I'm curious if Florida hoodoo weirdness carries that far out west!
                              Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

I just use the pine shavings at this time. Occasionally I will through in some straw. Why do you put sand under your bedding? Another question: do you feed your flock their full portion of food in the morning and a little at night, or a little in the morning and full portions at night? Maybe when the new coop gets here I can install a light so if they need it, it will be ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X