No announcement yet.

prepping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about salt-beef and salt-pork - a la 18th and 19th c Army/sea rations?

Comment

Good Idea.

I do Dak Canned Hams, Beef Stew, Hash and that sort of thing.. Along with Freeze dried meats. The problem with freeze dried stuff, it the calories are low. The good thing is it keeps forever. The problem with current MRE rations is they do not have the shelf life, and true MRE's are hard to find.

My better half tossed out the last few cases of C rats just because all the cans were puffy. Plenty of guys were getting food poisoning just before the first MRE's came out. They were still using ones from Vietnam. I was pretty annoyed as I could have pulled all the extra packs with P38's, TP, etc. in them... Oh Well...

Comment

Don't you just hate it when our wives keep us safe from ourselves? Now admit it, you probably would have popped one of those cans open and tried it, just to see if it was ok.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

LOL, well puffy is one thing, leaking is another.. They were leaking.

Comment

Puffy or leaking cans must go, but dang, the loss of all those accessory packs!
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I rotated some preps big time this week.

Lunch was fried rice, leftover cooked rice from another meal, a bit high on the spam, but I'll admit I used a little much. Add some carrots and onions (I hope to always have diced carrots and dried or freeze dried onions on hand, so quick to use,) but forgot that I have a large can of freeze-dried mushrooms open. Used a fresh egg, but Mountain House would have worked, used up some soy sauce and noticed the brown sugar was low.

I was going to go to the store anyway, so 6 pounds of dark brown sugar later, and I should be good til the end of the year for that at least, maybe longer. Since I fought the cap off an unopened bottle of soy sauce, I knew I had to replace that, so that's another purchase that was made, and someone used up the water chestnuts - or at least, the ones I hadn't used up, so I got another 4 cans of those, and several cans of pork and beans.

I'm a bit overdue to prep some metals, but that's often the case when we prep other high-dollar items (the cross-bows! Did I mention my cross-bow? I really, REALLY like my cross-bow.)

No, I don't think I'll be trying to trade ammo or silver for anyone's beanie-weenies. I might let someone hire me for some of my skills, and yes, I'll take trade if they don't have silver or gold. Live chickens & rabbits, canned goods, manual labor, but at the moment, I just don't see myself desperately trying to trade an ounce of silver for anyone's beanie-weenies.

I don't even like beanie-weenies.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Any idea about the shelf life on the single serving SPAM packs? I keep a couple in my bag in the trunk of my car but with the heat, it can't be going well. So far they aren't swelling up but I think I need to check them.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                  Any idea about the shelf life on the single serving SPAM packs? I keep a couple in my bag in the trunk of my car but with the heat, it can't be going well. So far they aren't swelling up but I think I need to check them.
                  2 years @ 78° aka ideal conditions. Never tested under your conditions, but I'd be surprised if it made it three months.
                  When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I've started keeping a small bag of LTS foodstuffs at work (IT cube farm); mostly protein bars and a few pb crackers. Living in Alabama's long summers with high heat and humidity does not lend to keeping food in my go-bag. Same for water; keep extra in the back of a cabinet and can grab both on the out the door.

Keep your powder dry and eyes open...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueWolf View Post
                      I've started keeping a small bag of LTS foodstuffs at work (IT cube farm); mostly protein bars and a few pb crackers. Living in Alabama's long summers with high heat and humidity does not lend to keeping food in my go-bag. Same for water; keep extra in the back of a cabinet and can grab both on the out the door.
                      Water is available in your locale, suggest keeping a means of purification available handy. I would also say, on your way out the door today, pay attention to where that water is along your route home. If it's wet, it can normally be cleaned/purified if you're prepared.
                      I would also suggest a cache or two along your route. Don't assume you'll be able to grab your stash on the way out.
                      When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

I saw a 50lb rice bag at costco yesterday. I should of bought it but my wife has been giving me crap about white rice LOL.

Comment

She's right about the highly processed bleached white rice.

Comment

we eat brown rice at home but it doesnt store well i heard.

Comment

There are a multitude of rice varieties. The brown rice you speak of does not store well due to the higher Trans and poly fat content which makes it go rancid faster. White rice that is without the processing isn't that bad, but assuring that is next to impossible.

Brown is better for you, but not good for LTS or MTS.

Sticky rice aka glutinous rice is a good option for LTS, next to that is Indian Basmati, followed by Jasmine rice. The latter being more midterm than LTS. There are options a plenty, but I do strongly recommend researching them rather than taking any given persons word including my own.

BTW, remember white rice is processed brown rice. Parboiled if done right can extend it's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cwi555 View Post
                                2 years @ 78° aka ideal conditions. Never tested under your conditions, but I'd be surprised if it made it three months.
                                Will check it in Sept. If it ain't "puffy" I'll open it. The date on it says 2020 or 2012 but I'm sure it's at room temp like you said.

Comment

Working...
                                X