Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: prepping

Thanks
    Thanked 5,385 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    What is your preferred stored protein? I know that lots of folks swear by canned tuna, but we just don't care for tuna, so that's a "no". We typically get a couple of cans of chicken or roast beef to go into the buckets/pantry. Canned chicken / roast beef isn't something that's in our regular diet, but we far prefer that to tuna. Any other ideas?
    Check out http://beprepared.com/. They have freeze dried meats such as sausage, beef, chicken, etc. These can be pricey, so I suggest you watch for the Group Specials and get on their email notifications. For example, their freeze-dried sausage was something like $52/can; then went on sale for $35 but on a recent a group buy special (12 cans), it went to $17/can with free shipping.

I grabbed some and intend to open one and give it a go. Hopefully it was money well spent.

There are other protein sources for you to consider; just do an internet search for 'high protein foods' to give yourself some ideas. Sardines are another good one but if you don't care for tuna, I'm betting those are a no-go for you, too.

Kelly
    Last edited by Kelly; 07-31-2015 at 09:36 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,410 Times in 1,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    What is your preferred stored protein? I know that lots of folks swear by canned tuna, but we just don't care for tuna, so that's a "no". We typically get a couple of cans of chicken or roast beef to go into the buckets/pantry. Canned chicken / roast beef isn't something that's in our regular diet, but we far prefer that to tuna. Any other ideas?
    Canned chicken, ham, bacon and beef jerky. Then perhaps kidney and pinto beans.
    You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
    Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MillenniumMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We have a discount grocery store here called Aldi. Their canned food is nearly half the price of the local big chains and to me it tastes better. Plus I put away canned chicken and hams, pasta, large amounts of salt and spices, oats. And this fall I plan to store some wheat from a local farmer I'm friends with. Gonna seal that in Mylar bags inside 55gal plastic barrels.
    Plus I have a couple 5gal buckets full of Gatorade powder in 1gal mix packs and I'm adding to it all the time. Water is good, but electrolytes need to be had in some form or another also. Also have a couple hundred MRE's. Those are last resort.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bnorr79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,605 Times in 4,541 Posts
    I have a decent supply of canned protein (short term regular items, and long-term freeze dried.) I have beans and rice, and freeze-dried fruit & vegetables, but less emphasis on things that grow 3/4s of the year, within 50 miles.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,529 Times in 4,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by W.Lynn View Post
    I have a decent supply of canned protein (short term regular items, and long-term freeze dried.) I have beans and rice, and freeze-dried fruit & vegetables, but less emphasis on things that grow 3/4s of the year, within 50 miles.
    You store tumbleweeds?
    Drinking from the skull of your enemy is more eco-friendly than plastic cups.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Long term protein, I think of dry canning some hamburger. I haven't done it just yet, but i also can deer meat. Which if stored in a controlled environment will last a long time. I canned some deer meat in December of 2012 and had a few jars left over. i opened one the other day and it was fine. Of course this was kept in my basement and the majority of the time in the dark and around 70 degrees.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert Young For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,605 Times in 4,541 Posts
    Kick, sage grows here.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 1,723 Posts
    Ditto what Kelly said. Check out the pantry can sizes. These are less expensive to buy and try before you purchase the #10 size. But if/when SHTF, ain't no one in this house gonna be picky!
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,385 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Wally's carries Auguson Farms brands of storage foods. While I'm not a fan of Wally's, when I have to go there, I make sure it's either bare minimum or make sure it hurts them with heavy items ordered from them online. With 150 lbs of sugar, salt, etc., that free shipping has to hurt them a bit (I hope).

/rant off

I cannot speak to the quality of Auguson's products as I have not yet broke open any cans. With that caveat, see the Auguson line at walmart.com; search for 'emergency food'.

Kelly

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly For This Useful Post:

Lake Panasoffkee by the Withlacoochee River, Florida
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 307 Posts
    A word of caution:

If you store in 5 gallon plastic buckets, be sure to check the bottoms once a year or so for cracks. I have had two crack and although the food was in Mylar and not compromised, I wasn't a happy camper!
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kessler For This Useful Post: