Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi.from Africa

Good evening all the good folks

I found this place from over on the survivalist forum,and I already recognized some names here...
    In my free time I am a hunter/camper/'survivor' and love to tell short campfire stories about my real life experiences out in the bush..
    Nah, I've not published a book [yet!] but love this opportunity to rub shoulders with you experts.

I live in South-Africa, but work abroad.

I have some beautiful wild-life photo's and short stories to share from a different continent and culture , and in the process maybe give you another perspective on my beloved country than what is currently displayed on the news channels.

Would love to learn and interact from you-all

Attached Files
    Sometimes the mind can not comprehend what the eye can not see...

Welcome to the board Observe. Unseen who does a lot of work around here does business with some of your folks. Great to have you and I look forward to your stories.
    I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Welcome Observe. Looking forward to getting to know you and your country.
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Welcome, most of us have some kind of expertise, but you'd be much more the expert for your part of the world. Love the cat picture. If I can get my phone, camera, and internet connection to all work together, I might post some recent photos of American bison & elk from early this month.
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome from Central Florida!

I've put up a few Southern African themed videos, as a welcome. I especially like the music of Clem Thelot & John Edmond. Living history lessons.
          "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

Welcome to the Board, Observe. I am glad to see that you made it over here. Take a look around and feel free to jump into any of the conversations. I think you will like this little community.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Hi Observe, from North Carolina.

Comment

As the others have said: Welcome. Have you read the Going Home series? Is it even available over there?
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

I've sent several copies over.

Comment

Thanks guys
                    One of the reasons for me to get to know a bunch of swell guys like you, is like W.Lyn mentioned--you can know your own little surroundings quit well and even become an expert there,but once shtf and you are unexpected taken out of your comfort zone--then real survival will start and you have to learn new skills. I\m an old and very experienced registered rifle,handgun and bow hunter, but to 'spice' it up I've laid down those tools and has taken up solo spear-hunting for warthog in the African bush for \what if...'. In line with some of the good prepping books that I've read where you go off-grit and the bullets are finished etc. I wanted to see for myself if an average guy in the totally different African environment context could also survive under so much different circumstances than the current mainstream tv and books described. [hot,dry,more dangerous animals,snakes,poachers etc.]For example' the popular and typical smaller bladed bushraft primary knives that ray mears and bear grylls used with good effect in northern hemisphere 'soft' wood and wet forests conditions will probably not be your first choice for a blade over here[very hard and dry wood etc]. I've got one and love it, but over here it has is limitations..But that is the nice thing of being between friends--we can see and understand things from a different perspective and in the process learn from each other....
                    Tex

2DCF9ECA350C409D8467802DC14BBC25.JPG
                    Sometimes the mind can not comprehend what the eye can not see...

Comment

You'll find many discussions about the qualities of different knives, and the steel they are made of, among people who are fond of hunting. If only because a smooth, sharp blade hurts less, and leaves a tidy scar, when you have a slip and cut yourself! To be serious though, a good edge is also much better for skinning, cutting through joints, and other chores.

Steel and edges are sometimes discussed among bow-hunters here too, but you'll almost never hear about spear hunts in north America (but certainly spear-fishing, and spear-gun use for divers, and frog-gigging for those who like to do that.)

We do have crazy people who get into water that could have our poisonous swimming snake, the cottonmouth, to reach their arms into hollow stumps, overhangs and under logs that are in the water, to be the bait for large fish called channel cat. Takes a special kind crazy to make a hobby of that.

I'll stick to my (roughly) iron to bronze-age spinning and weaving, and improve my stone-tool making as I can (good arrow heads are hard, not like simple scrapers and single-edge knives.)

Comment

Welcome from PA.

Comment

welcome from CO

Comment

Observe, I thought you might find this mind boggling, as the SA's that have visited did...

This is about 2/3rds of the firearms department at a Cabellas.
                            20141109_125852-s.jpg

This is a more typical gun shop..
                            20141107_160250-s.jpg

A typical Texas Pickup Truck.
                            20141110_113139-s.jpg

An Apple Store
                            20141107_122132-s.jpg

A typical Walmart shopper, think Makro
                            f0ae4db67251ed67ec0842804c471576.jpg
                            hamburgler-at-walmart.jpg

A typical American Soldier in Afghanistan, the caption/picture name from the Afghan web site read, soldier attempts to eat child, I believe jokingly.
                            SoldierAttemptstoEatIraqiChild.jpg

OEF+Dec27_2004+Soldiers+Patrol+villages+near+Waza+Khwa-11.jpg

4850879748_d53780c3dc_o.jpg

honor.jpg
                            Last edited by unseenone; 06-25-2015, 06:06 PM.

Comment

un, I'm at Cabela's enough, I had to look the photo over carefully. Have you checked out the new Bass Pro in Round Rock?

Comment

Working...
                              X