size of Bob or ghb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size of Bob or ghb

What size of backpack do you guys and gals do you use.

Well, my primary GHB (around here we call it a Going Home Bag) is a surplus A.L.I.C.E. pack, and loaded out comes in at about 60 pounds or so. I also have a much smaller bag that only has 2 MRE's, 1 pair of socks, a couple ways to make fire, and a couple of meds. I work about 15 miles from home, and feel that this smaller, lightweight bag, along with my EDC, a canteen and a couple other items that are always in my car, will be of far more use than 60 pounds of "stuff".

If I'm only going to work, then the big bag usually stays home, as it ALWAYS seems to be in the way if I carry it everywhere, and I'd hate to have to decide whether to carry 60 pounds or leave all my stuff in the car if I only need to walk that 15 miles.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Depends on the situation. There is an everyday bag in the car. It is small and will get me the 35 miles from work to home or most any other place I go on a daily basis.

Last week I took a 1000 mile trip to see the folks. I had my regular backpack as my travel bag. Should anything bad happen, I would have repacked it and hoofed it wherever I needed to.

Stuff is only part of it. Knowing how to use what is in it and how to find other things you may need greatly reduces the size of the bag. I drive a little mazda 3 as my daily commuter. If I had a full sized alice in it, I would not have room for much else in the back.

Comment

How much do you weigh and what do you want to use it for would be a good place to start.

Comment

My personal GHB is something I sewed together designed to look like a WWII Musette bag with extra side pockets, colored black. It has the usual goodies:
          Change of clothes
          Leatherman tool
          5 bundled meals (Hormel Compleats, 400 cal snack bars, chik-fil-a wipes)
          Basic first aid kit
          Aquamira filter straws and bottle
          HotBox firestarter kit
          100" paracord
          Gorilla tape
          KampKit 1 week woods kit
          KY Knives Bowie with handle stash
          Multi-state map pack
          Aluminum LED AA flashlight
          You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
          Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

I did a series of posts on my site about the whole concept of BOB/GHB etc

I think its become a race to the bottom instead of reality. It sells a lot of gear too.
            Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

I remember that post. Great read, btw. In the end, it doesn't hurt to have some kind of toolkit... Yeah, we'll go with that. "TOOLKIT" to help one get home relatively intact, or need be, escape home. Skills are far more important than a full bag. A full bag and an empty head will get you three days at best.

It doesn't need to be heavy, just basic. Having stuff stashed along the way is far better than having a loaded larder on your back. If Paris Whoreton carried a pistol, HiCal bars, knife, paracord, duct tape and other minimal must-haves in her purse with skills instead of her hair covered snackdog, she might have a 5% chance of getting to where she needed if things got bad instead of the 0% chance she has now.
              You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
              Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

My GHB is a surplus ILBE marine pack. It's big, but carries good and I a big dude anyway so I handle it well. I move it to whichever vehicle I drive on any certain day. It not 60lbs but I'll bet it's 40 easy. It's been a huge work in progress from start to where I'm at with it now. And I'm always adding to it.

Weeks worth of food- took down MRE's, clif bars, some oatmeal, bouillon cubes and a few mores things
                IFAK that I put together myself
                Paracord
                Small wire/bolt cutters
                Esbit stove and 2 dozen fuel tabs
                Katadyn Hiker pro water filter and purification tablets just in case
                7 tp roll tubes stuffed with dryer lint in a ziplock bag with a few bic lighters
                Hygiene kit-small tube of toothpaste, deodorant, big pack of wet wipes, toothbrush, small bottle of soap and a scrub sponge
                Stanley quart stainless "cup" with lid for boiling water in
                Skeeter net hammock and rainfly
                Extra mags for my Glock
                Small machete
                duct tape wrapped around a sharpie for space saving
                small solar panel with charging cords for a flashlight, phone, and a couple small auxillary charging pacs
                dozen AA and a dozen AAA batteries
                I want a military sleep system next.
                Partridge in a pear tree

Like I said, I'm always adding things and if the time comes to carry it, depending on where I'm at and how far I have to go I may or may not dump some of it. Everything is stored by categories in large vacuum sealable bags. And there's a 90 gallon trash bag inside with everything tied in it to keep it moisture proof with an extra bag to put the entire pack in should I need to swim with it. I think I'm in pretty good shape as I've camped with only it for a couple days at a time and then restocked it afterwards.
                Last edited by bnorr79; 06-16-2015, 11:26 PM. Reason: ima dummy

Comment

Oh, and a surplus camelbak and a pair of blackhawk gloves

Comment

BTW, just for an FYI, I have NO intention of hauling that 60 pound beast. It's stuffed with a bunch of stuff that will likely be left behind, but I want it with me to have the option of leaving it behind or carrying it. If you don't have it with you, you don't have the option.
                    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                      BTW, just for an FYI, I have NO intention of hauling that 60 pound beast. It's stuffed with a bunch of stuff that will likely be left behind, but I want it with me to have the option of leaving it behind or carrying it. If you don't have it with you, you don't have the option.
                      Big ugly friends who show up post shtf? That's my plan, I think I'm around 62 lbs, including sidearm and spare ammo, not including 20lb of rifle and ammo (or it feels like 20lb).

Comment

Hey, great idea! For those who refuse to prep, and say "I'm coming to your house", have them carry that heavy ass pack! I'll carry my boomsticks and food.
                        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                        X