History Channel Series Alone Premier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi AA,

I see, so the show producers "list" comes with restrictions. My list is my "standard" for "bush crafting" plus a few other items (if going past ten) I like to have when doing an extended "tour kayaking" in certain regions... Those are my "base tools" for building and creating. Most of the other stuff like "fire" and "day to day" items I just make, yet the making is much easier with these "base tools."

Could you expand more on what they "do not approve." I have a list of what they "claim" each participant selected. I would really love know what they would allow to come and why if you could share that... Seems the saw is in, and a large knife, which my "froe" looks very much like, they also allowed fishing kits too. Did they actually have a "can't bring list" or just a list you had to select from?

Regards,

j
    Dear Angery American Members,

For additional information about subjects I have post on, please feel free to contact me at tosatomo@gmail.com if you wish, or through other means at http://about.me/tosatomo. I am always glad to help where I can...

Regards,

j

Comment

I don't think they want to put out there the main list pool for some reason.. If you want to "sign up" drop AA a PM I'm sure he knows who to contact, and there is also a sign up link on the History Channel Alone page.

100% that a firearm would have been #1 on everyone's list, but for various reasons, including the fact it is Canada it was never going to happen. Besides, where would the sport be in that..

I am also enjoying it, wouldn't mind giving it a try, but don't want to be on TV.

Comment

If I have clients...and in Brown bear domain...a large bore rifle is prudent...I agree...

However, I have traveled all over the place including the Alaskan Tongass to South America, and if with well skilled colleagues or myself alone...I have never carried a gun nor needed to..But I support anyone that thinks the should or feels better for it...I am not much of a "sport hunter" and only "table harvest" most of the time and that is with traps and/or bow...

I have been in the area the show is filmed in and know the biome relatively well. It can be challenging for the uncustomed...especially the rain and wet...

As for the large critters...well, that is a matter of knowing what to do and not do with them, to them or around them...more than anything else. Yet I will validate that having been a zoo keeper and worked with both big Felines and Ursids...(including a rather nasty, but friendly tussle with an Asian Sun bear that just didn't ever want to be left alone after feeding time) probably have skill sets and a "comfort level" that is a wee bit different than the average outdoors enthusiasts...I would also note that Ben Kilham is (was) a neighbor and aquatance/causual friend, so working and being around "blackies" was a daily activity at times...I live in Thetford Vermont and Ben's bears will occasionally cross the river for a visit...Again, its more about the "knowing" these animals than being afraid of them...prudence and caution is the best defense even with a "in your face" encounter...and not getting scared at all as they absolutely do sense it and take full advantage of it!! Which for the average person...is easier said than done so I more than respect folks be uncomfortable around them...

Regards,

j

For additional information about subjects I have post on, please feel free to contact me at tosatomo@gmail.com if you wish, or through other means at http://about.me/tosatomo. I am always glad to help where I can...

Regards,

j

Comment

I'm thinking you might be more of an asset as a consultant than a contestant..

The closest I came in the wild was the Adirondacks. Walked up on Momma and her two cubs. Distance, less than 25 feet. Nobody got hurt, but it was a worst case scenario as far as the situation. Run like hell would have been a stupid move.

Comment

Gosh Brother U...don't jinx me........... I really want to play!! (not to mention trying to win $500K wouldn't be a horrid thing to go for...would it?)

Oh...Boy..."ma'ma bears" now that is a common occurrence and not a good one for the faint of heart! If you startle them (which often happens ma'ma being all stressed out with "cub watching" they will often charge. Then...most folks do exactly what you said..."run like hell!!" Which of course is exactly what you do not want to do with most critters. It's kinda funny that "run away thing," human often do it, and the main trigger for many of these predatory species is "something running away from them..." It's almost like they can't help themselves...if it runs...they have to chase it...and guess what?...most humans aren't as fast as they are...You go and tell me that the "Big Kahuna" upstairs doesn't have a wicked sense of humor...

What do you think AA...do I have a snow balls chance in you know where of getting on the show...or would they kick me aside for my background in "wilderness stuff?" I would really love to know what you think my odds are on this...as I find myself musing over it often as of late...

Regards,

j

Regards,

j

Comment

Alan is awesome..........56 days. His journey into himself was incredible to watch. Many props to him & Sam both.

edit to add : the History Channel finally posted the full list of gear that was available & prohibited :

Mark
              Last edited by harleyrider86; 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Hmmm. I'm not able to get page 9 of this thread to come up. Dang Apple iOS update...

Comment

And now I can. Hmmph.

Comment

We just didn't want the secret about page 9 out.
                    Defund the Media !!

Comment

I think what happened... was there was a post on page 9. It was in the process of being deleted... and then, when I posted (et voila!) landed on page 9... all was well again.

No PBR was wasted in that technical mystery.

Comment

Working...
                      X