History Channel Series Alone Premier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

image.jpg
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Originally posted by Gwynmael View Post
      Nice job AA, but did ya have to forget your belt? LOL
      No. LOL. Somehow in all the packing and unpacking the kit so many times the buckle for my rain pants disappeared. You're not seeing my drawers, you're seeing my pants under them.
      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Now that it's out I'll give you guys a little info. Guns were strictly forbidden, but not for the reasons you might think. They were far more concerned with someone losing their marbles and offing themselves than anything. Or possibly taking shots at the crew when they came around. Believe, I fought hard for guns, actually telling them I was out at one point. But they won me over and I went.

As for hunting, nearly everything was on the menu. The only thing we couldn't mess with were traditional fur bearers because of treaties with Russia of all things. We met with the Canadian Game folks and had tags for everything that walked up there. Interestingly they also gave us permission to take the game in any manner, primitive traps. This is very uncommon as it's actually illegal here in the US to do so in most cases.

The place was rough, words cannot describe it and even the show really doesn't capture it in my opinion. One thing that's really not conveyed is the true level of danger. While we had a SAT phone they seldom could get a signal because of the topography. The other device we had was just as bad. If you were seriously injured you were screwed if you couldn't deal with it. On one extraction it took them nearly 15 hours to get the guy out. It wasn't an emergency so it wasn't a big deal, just gives you an idea of what it took.

The Canadian Coast Guard was on notice though, in the event of a real world emergency they were coming. They did everything they could to look out for us, it was just a very remote place.

As for the guys that went. They were all legit. Some of them have incredible skills and I don't knock a one of them. I'll talk more about them later, really can't right now. I will say though that Alan is a great friend of mine and the guy is an animal. I'd go anywhere with him and trust him with my life. Lucas is also a great guy. We're so different but really like him. All this week I teased him about being a bush hippy, but he is incredibly skilled as you'll see. Brant is another good friend of mine. He has a very interesting pedigree is about to return to Africa to train troops there, I'd trust him with my life as well.
        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Turns out I most closely match Mitch. You have a deep respect for proven traditions and simple living, which should serve you well in the wild.

Comment

All said, it's developing already into a hell of a show. Way back when, someone told you to only go if it was a true, honest to God reality show without any scripting. The situation with the bear cubs and mama was genuine as hell. The tension is palpable for the viewers so I can only imagine what it was like for you guys being there. Looking forward to next week.

Comment

Just a thought

From the wildlife standpoint...

Soft tacos.jpg

Fun show so far... looking forward to next week.
              sic semper tyrannis mortem
              A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.
              ---Proverbs 2:23

Comment

Finished downloading and watching the first episode.

1. Waiting for Sam to become Samwich for the wolves
                2. I wouldn't have picked the game trail, but something near the beach line above high tide. Built a pallet to set a tent well away from the high tide mark at the beach would have given me 360 degree view towards the tree line for predators and access to water and fish.
                3. Would have worked on a long reach weapon right after shelter, water, food and fire had been established. Perhaps a mace with spikes all around for large predators (wolves and mama bear)
                4. Noticed you were always recording and that there were 3rd person POV cameras. Did they airdrop new batteries or did they walk up and say "here you go" while they got the daily gamecam footage?
                You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

liked it so far didn't see the today show

Comment

I liked the show - nice job, AA!

My money is not on Sam - seemed a bit reckless with that wolf calling. Plus, he looks and sounds a lot like the character 'Badger' from Breaking Bad. Clearly not relevant; just struck me wrong.

AA - if you won, are you going to throw your biggest stalkers - err, I mean 'fans' - a big celebration bash!?!

Kelly

Comment

Kelly, I wasn't going to voice it, but I didn't vibe with Sam either. He is probably a great guy, but he is young, and it comes across in how he presents himself.

I was told once by Porkchop from IceRoad Truckers (he was on another prepping site), that the camera tends to magnify personality traits. So if you are irritable, you come off really really irritable etc. Maybe he just came off immature because of the camera effect.

Will be interesting to see how he and the rest do as the program continues.
                      "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

All the camera work you see we did. Just like Stroud, we'd walk out and set up a camera to catch the wide angle. As for batteries we had a lot of them are plus a power pack to charge with if it came to it. They would come out and pick up dead batteries and spent media, you may or may not see them.
                        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Hope you got union wages for that camera work , lol

Comment

I watched the show the other day, pretty cool show, I'm pulling for you AA. I'm not sure who else I like, I'll need another episode or two

Comment

Show is a cool idea. I was pretty disappointed that one guy dropped after the first night. Goes to show that no matter how well you may think you'll do, when reality hits things change.

Comment

No plan survives first contact. There's the romance of the wilderness and the reality and reality is a mother.
                                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Working...
                                X