No announcement yet.

Why The Shutdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed the Going Home series of books a lot.. that said, I don't think China or Russia invading us is going to be an issue as we'd still have a nuclear deterrent to hold that kind of stuff off. I also don't think some Nazi style take-over by the feds or DHS is realistic. While our government does some stupid and wasteful things, as well as occasionally oversteps its own authority, I do not believe the federal government is some evil empire looking for an opportunity to strike.

I think a far more realistic, albeit more boring scenario, would be various types of real foreign help and aid at the cost of some very expensive political concessions and/or debt forgiveness.

Of much more concern would be the well being of the minorities in our country. I'd feel sorry for the Muslims, Hindu's, and pretty much anyone else that doesn't fit the European "I'm a white guy" profile.

The one part I think was realistic was the portrayal of the criminal element. The petty crimes, rape, murder, and how they're dealt with.

A CME would put everyone on the planet in the same boat, but an EMP would only hurt one localized area. How things play out would depend on which one hit us.

Comment

And thats the joy of fiction writing. the author gets to carve out their very own universe where all of these things are not only possible but come to pass. Without these events and circumstances the story would be nothing.

Yes, the aid would come with a price. Nothing is free. I've read book 9 and much of what is being sent is from the UK and the other members of the commonwealth. A great chunk of our debt to them was prepaid in the early 20th century. I would suspect that they realize that a strong US is vital to their own interests and would act accordingly.

The Non European white ethnicities wold be hit hard. But it would tend to be because they have settled in the cities which will be especially hard hit. High population density and limited resources will take their toll quickly. Will there be fighting along ethnic/religious lines? Most likely. People will at first gather into groups based on those criteria. It's a trust thing, "They believe and or look like me, therefore they can be trusted". So, on the surface it may appear that the fighting between those groups is based on ethnic/religious differences when in fact it is more likely about what each group perceives the other to possess that they will need or want. Without the rule of law I think it will be more of a free for all in the cities, first among groups and then individuals as resources become more and more scarce.

Personally, I think anyone who carries those sort of prejudices into the "the end of civilization" will not survive as long as those open to cooperation from wherever it presents itself.

Comment

I think the PC versions of racism/discrimination will become totally irrelevant in a SHTF scenario. If you are attacked or threatened by a specific group consistantly and DON'T start treating all the members of that group as hostile you won't survive. The idea of profiling being a negative thing will be long gone, it will be the new normal, if you can't key in on certain signs or behaviors you will die.
        The PC idea that if I harm more of one group than another then it must be because of racial bias will be replaced with the reality that if I harm more of one group it's because more of them were a threat.
        [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by 0utlaw View Post
          I think the PC versions of racism/discrimination will become totally irrelevant in a SHTF scenario. If you are attacked or threatened by a specific group consistantly and DON'T start treating all the members of that group as hostile you won't survive. The idea of profiling being a negative thing will be long gone, it will be the new normal, if you can't key in on certain signs or behaviors you will die.
          The PC idea that if I harm more of one group than another then it must be because of racial bias will be replaced with the reality that if I harm more of one group it's because more of them were a threat.
          There's nothing wrong with profiling so long as its not based on race or ethnicity. If you're being attacked by bikers wearing leather and tattoos who sport purple Mohawk haircuts, you'd be smart to profile against that description. But profiling, as we normally use the term, refers to race, color, or ethnic grouping. Basing your profiling on such attributes is wrong, and while it may be ethically and morally wrong, far more importantly, its logically wrong. Holding the actions of a few people against the rest of their ethnic/racial group is foolish and stupid as well as counter productive.

Comment

Sorry but you seem to be comfortable with biases as long as they are your own. Holding the actions of a few bikers wearing leather and tattoos while sporting purple Mohawks against the rest of the bikers wearing leather and tattoos while sporting purple Mohawks community is foolish and stupid as well as counterproductive.

To be clear. I am not supporting being a racist or bigoted against any specific group. However if perhaps it came to be known that an EMP attack(or any other attack) was carried out by any one specific group I would certainly be wary of anyone from that group unless I knew them and trusted them. Even then they would have to be a direct threat to me.

Comment

Joe to me that is logic, common sense even. To others that makes you a racist. My point was in the SHTF world that political correctness may very well get you killed.
              If you go to a high crime area and go to condition 2 are you a racist? Well what if all the potential BGs you see are a race other than yours, does that make you a racist? Maybe...or maybe it means that you are in a high crime area that is heavily populated by a race other than yours and you don't want to be a victim.
              Last edited by 0utlaw; 01-03-2018, 07:45 PM.

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

Comment

I agree. Even now, never mind if the SHTF I am not someone who trusts those who I do not know. Trust is earned. too often I've seen people taken advantage of by someone they didn't know who was vouched for by someone they did.

To me that makes you aware of your surroundings and less likely to be a victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
                  Sorry but you seem to be comfortable with biases as long as they are your own. Holding the actions of a few bikers wearing leather and tattoos while sporting purple Mohawks against the rest of the bikers wearing leather and tattoos while sporting purple Mohawks community is foolish and stupid as well as counterproductive.

To be clear. I am not supporting being a racist or bigoted against any specific group. However if perhaps it came to be known that an EMP attack(or any other attack) was carried out by any one specific group I would certainly be wary of anyone from that group unless I knew them and trusted them. Even then they would have to be a direct threat to me.
                  I guess you have to define what you mean by group. If I keep getting attacked by leather and tattoo clad bikers sporting purple Mohawks, you can rest assured I'll shoot the next one I see before they have a chance to attack me. People of such groups choose to be part of such groups.

But just because you get attacked by a black guy or an Arab Muslim, does not mean the rest of them are in on it. Likewise, just because a Christian attacks me does not mean I'm going to hold all Christians as being part of the same group. That's called "bigotry".

The difference lies in choice. You get to pick if you want to sport a purple Mohawk, ride a motorcycle and get tattooed and become a member of that groups gang colors, you don't get to pick what race you're from or where you were born.

Comment

I agree. Even now, never mind if the SHTF I am not someone who trusts those who I do not know. Trust is earned. too often I've seen people taken advantage of by someone they didn't know who was vouched for by someone they did.

To me that makes you aware of your surroundings and less likely to be a victim.
                    I've seen the same, but I've also seen just as many people get screwed over by people they've known for a long time and do trust. The term "con-artist" is short for "confidence artist", a person who is skilled in human behavioral modification and uses those skills to gain the trust of others.

Comment

You guys probably already know I'm not giving up bikes OR leather. And now we have to stay friends forever, because I haven't completely ruled out possible future tats or purple mohawks.

You know you want pics.

Also, you know the rules.

Rule #1, be polite to people you meet.

Rule #2, immediately figure out how you will kill these wonderful persons, should you need to.
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Hey, I got nothing against bikes, leather, or Mohawks.... just so long as they're not shooting at me.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                          Hey, I got nothing against bikes, leather, or Mohawks.... just so long as they're not shooting at me.
                          The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Joseph Heller

Comment

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

General James Mattis

I would find this especially true during a SHTF scenario.

EDIT:I missed W.Lynn's comment above before I posted this, but I believe it some it up nicely.
                            Yes, pictures would be required. Feel free to alter the color of the Mohawk to whatever color brings out your eyes the best.
                            Last edited by Boston_Joe; 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarity. I hope

Comment

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

General James Mattis

I would find this especially true during a SHTF scenario.
                              (This is on the cover of the notepad I carry. Not yet but probably soon)
                              Last edited by kickstand; 01-04-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X