Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand/Needle Crafts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 Times in 1,741 Posts
    I have no issue paying for a really good one, but I would rather that money go to someone that did it at home as a cottage industry than a large firm.

Btw, books get there yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,596 Times in 4,535 Posts
    Not yet, but eventually they'll get somewhere, maybe even here!

I'll keep my eyes open for any extra heavy "blanket shirt" jackets or custom job weavers. It's not something I could afford, but I'm with you on supporting cottage industry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 Times in 1,741 Posts
    It may cost a fortune to have one hand done. I don't know. I do know there is a lot of time that goes into them. My wife would sew up what I want if we could find a really heavy wool blanket, but the army surplus are about 1/2 the weight of the ones that I have seen and would like to have. Being a once in a lifetime purchase, spending a little makes sense. My brother wears my Dad's old Woolwich coat still. A couple of leather patches on the elbows and that is all he has had to do to it. I wish they still made them as tight and heavy as they did when Dad bought that in the 50's

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redman2006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very nice

Thanks
    We like re-purposing things to make new things. Here is a trivet my wife made using strips of old t-shirts.

TrivetFromT_Shirts.jpg

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John McCann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 582 Posts
    I have a small rug out by the front porch made similarly to that.
    Right now I am working on some crochet dishrags and scrubbies for a craft fair coming up. I also love to crochet shawls and crochet cable'knit' headbands, etc.
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to southernmom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have a question for all crafter/preppers: Do you stock up on supplies also such as yarn, cloth material, wax for candle making, etc.? Anything to help with mental stability. I know we all prep for food, water, heat, protection, & communication, but do any prep for keeping old skills alive or just to entertain themselves during hard times. I have started stocking yarn, candle wax, & some material for future use. Because if the SHTF does happen there will be no suppliers unless you have sheep or alpacas for the wool. Just wondering.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 582 Posts
    I craft pretty much everyday so I have several bins of yarn that I have gotten through frogging (taking wool or acrylic sweaters apart) or great sales, etc. I also have some fabric onhand, extra sets of sheets, and wool for needlefelting, etc. I keep a good bit of needle and thread and pins onhand as well. I really watch this as I don't want to get into any form of hoarding so I keep busy and keep a good rotation going while having a good 'stash'. I also know how to repair and reuse all sorts of fabrics and yarns if need be.
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to southernmom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That is a good skill to have for reusing and repairing fabrics and yarns. I wish I had those skills. I am trying to build up a supply of notions (needles & Thread), but every time I buy something it doesn't always get put where it should be and then it gets lost in the mix. That is something I need to work on, keeping my stuff more organized.
    thanks for your info.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hsehntr98 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,596 Times in 4,535 Posts
    I don't stock wool to spin, or threads and yarns of about any type, beyond what I might use over a few years. Threads and yarns get brittle with age to the point they're coming apart in your hands.

Cotton will still grow though, and sheep, wooly goat breeds, llamas and alpacas will still need shorn, so what I stock are the tools and the skills. Sewing and knitting needles, crochet hooks, tatting shuttles, drop spindles and the spinning wheel, etc. What I need to do now is practice with cotton on the drop spindles and see if I can make the size & sturdiness needed in a cord to be the drive-cord on the spinning wheel.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post: