No announcement yet.

Hand/Needle Crafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a small rug out by the front porch made similarly to that.
    Right now I am working on some crochet dishrags and scrubbies for a craft fair coming up. I also love to crochet shawls and crochet cable'knit' headbands, etc.
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

I have a question for all crafter/preppers: Do you stock up on supplies also such as yarn, cloth material, wax for candle making, etc.? Anything to help with mental stability. I know we all prep for food, water, heat, protection, & communication, but do any prep for keeping old skills alive or just to entertain themselves during hard times. I have started stocking yarn, candle wax, & some material for future use. Because if the SHTF does happen there will be no suppliers unless you have sheep or alpacas for the wool. Just wondering.

Comment

I craft pretty much everyday so I have several bins of yarn that I have gotten through frogging (taking wool or acrylic sweaters apart) or great sales, etc. I also have some fabric onhand, extra sets of sheets, and wool for needlefelting, etc. I keep a good bit of needle and thread and pins onhand as well. I really watch this as I don't want to get into any form of hoarding so I keep busy and keep a good rotation going while having a good 'stash'. I also know how to repair and reuse all sorts of fabrics and yarns if need be.
        Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

That is a good skill to have for reusing and repairing fabrics and yarns. I wish I had those skills. I am trying to build up a supply of notions (needles & Thread), but every time I buy something it doesn't always get put where it should be and then it gets lost in the mix. That is something I need to work on, keeping my stuff more organized.
          thanks for your info.

Comment

I don't stock wool to spin, or threads and yarns of about any type, beyond what I might use over a few years. Threads and yarns get brittle with age to the point they're coming apart in your hands.

Cotton will still grow though, and sheep, wooly goat breeds, llamas and alpacas will still need shorn, so what I stock are the tools and the skills. Sewing and knitting needles, crochet hooks, tatting shuttles, drop spindles and the spinning wheel, etc. What I need to do now is practice with cotton on the drop spindles and see if I can make the size & sturdiness needed in a cord to be the drive-cord on the spinning wheel.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

This is my lap-ghan that's halfway done.IMG_1210.JPG

Comment

Anyone do leather work? I have several projects I need help with. Knife sheaths and a "brief case" type bag.

Comment

i've worked with leather a bit in book arts. What do you need done redman?

Does the Briefcase need to be patched? Are you having trouble sewing the sheaths together?
                  Last edited by amy0002; 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM. Reason: further questions

Comment

I would like a really nice heavy leather briefcase like those made by saddle back. It is for a very special person graduating against a lot of odds. I was hoping to find a hobbyist that could do a custom version at a fair price.

A rustic, distressed leather with a few pockets and big enough for several large books and a 17 inch laptop. Simple, functional, beautiful, heavy leather. It needs a concealed carry pocket as well.

Comment

Ah, Thanks for elaborating! Well I'm sorry to say but I don't have any heavy-duty leather work experience.. so the briefcase is out of my expertise. I have more experience in sewing/repairing a saddle and thinning leather for finely bound leather books. I hope that someone else may know of someone that can help or has these skills and can help you.

Here's another hand done goody for those who appreciate pretties! My mom made this for me for Christmas. It is full flannel, so soft and warm!

IMG_1176.JPG
                      Last edited by amy0002; 03-08-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I am whipping this yellow/blue Baby blanket together for one of my best friends that is due to have a baby boy in two months. I'll post a finished pic later on but basically I have to sew the square/rows together and then complete the block/laced border that is already on two sides of the blanket. It will be a crib sized blanket and is 100% cotton since she is having a summer baby..
                        image.jpg

Then I found this gem that I made last year within a rubber maid in my parents basement. Guess I haven't moved all my stuff out...
                        image.jpg

I enjoy doing lacework and continuous blankets as opposed to the granny square format..
                        Last edited by amy0002; 03-09-2016, 12:00 AM. Reason: Had to add words

Comment

Ah... so W, I recently found out I may be able to purchase a floor loom locally from our thrift store. I've been doing needle stuff since I was 6, but never did much beyond basic weaving (like belt looms) and always had an interest. I've been out looking at different websites for brand-names, etc. I might be able to find a local mentor here at the beach, too.

Might be a dumb question, but how do you figure how much raw thread/wool you need for yardages?

Comment

Oh dear Lord - you need enough to secure it on the breast beam, feed it through the heddles, make the entire length & width of your project, and still have enough on the far beam that it won't unwind on you. And enough of those threads so that when you start passing the shuttle back and forth, and beating it down tight, you should get pretty consistent thread count per inch. Whatever you think you need, plan on half again as much.then do a little bit and see if you like the texture, or want to maybe not bring it down so tight, or whatever. Let your brain think of the first half a foot as a test run, like knitting a swatch to gage your yarn and knitting needles (besides, the first bit is usually a little loose, until there's enough to swing the beater against and knock it together.

Short answer, how many miles of yarn do you have?

Comment

Thanks - that actually makes a lot of sense to me. Even if I still don't know yet - say, how much yarn/thread I'd need to buy. It will come with experience, I'm sure.

Comment

Is there anyone in your area doing fiber - craft demonstrations at county fairs, craft shows and the like? You need that person, to see how it looks going together, or better yet, volunteer to help set it up before, and take it down after, threading it, tying ends. It would be a much faster way to learn than by muddling through it alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X