No announcement yet.

A New Year, A New Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a pair of Muscovy ducks long ago and she laid a dozen eggs when she was about 6? months old. The eggs were huge and soooo rich. I can see how they would be good for cakes and puddings.
    Dode

Comment

Well I have a mama duck setting-like seriously setting-so I have her separated in her little world from the others. Hoping for a good bit of ducklings from her. I also have 2 hens who are also seriously setting and get downright mean if you walk near their nests...so we built a makeshift divider between them and the others for them to hatch chicks and take care of them til they are old enough to head to the big flock. Quick job, my son did it in no time.

I have green beans, taters, zipper peas, seminole squash, summer squashes, okra, onions, kale and kohlrabi, cucumbers, watermelon, hickory king corn and lots of tomatoes and sweet and hot peppers up and growing fast. The green beans will be ready in a couple weeks. I am also going to put a variety of parching corn in the ground and black eyed peas and sweet taters and tan cheese pumpkins, and butternut squash in the ground in the next few weeks.

We got a couple mango trees, a papaya, a cherry of the rio grande, muscadine grapevine, yacon, and yerba mate bush planted. Also got a few thai roselles (florida cranberry) seedlings going. And my bocking 14 comfrey is coming through the ground. Oh! And water chestnuts are finally going! The ginger and turmeric are slow to sprout but they take awhile anyway. I have also planted a few mexican mini gherkins, moringa and a few other little things.

*whew* when I type all that out it sure seems like a lot. Doesn't seem like so much when I am doing it.

I am trying my hand at fermenting cabbage for sauerkraut and so far so good.

Oh! I absolutely LOVE my broadfork and easy digging tools. They are heavy duty but I get so much done faster, and easier. I am a happy gal.
      So that is what is going on at GhostTown farm.
      How's it going with all of you?
      Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Good luck with the duck eggs. My Khaki Campbells lay a lot of eggs but they have yet to get to setting on them. I've got what should be a nice nesting box all made up for them but they don't stay in it any longer than it takes to lay an egg.

Comment

Seems like you're doing good. We have some Rouens,(sp?), and they not only build nests, but drop eggs wherever. Just can't get em to set. Maybe the drakes aren't doing it right? lol

Comment

From what I understand, ducks don't "right" or "left" - they corkscrew.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Looks like a pigs tail !
              People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
              ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

At any rate, even if the eggs aren't fertile, I have uses for them.

Comment

Working...
                X