How I got my bug out bag under 25 pounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got my bug out bag under 25 pounds

Well, I spent months working at this here and there and then hundreds of hours laying stuff out, measuring, making spreadsheets, redoing it, researching, and so on. I took a lot away from a bunch of research I was doing on what ultralight thru-hikers do to keep their weight down. I finally got my bug out bag dry weight under 25 pounds - and under 30 with a tent I can fit inside and still have room to spare.

After 20+ hours of writing and photographing all of it, I'm finally done with this article. It lists everything in my personal bug out bag as well as why I carry any of it that's key.

This post is over 6000 words so no way I could explain it all here, so here's the link if you'd like to take a gander:

How to build the ultimate 25 pound bug out bag

Great information. Thank you for sharing.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Read thru the list a couple times. Really looks good. The fire starting with the grisweld ? sheet was very interesting. Looks like I'll be adding a couple of those to my bag and the wife's. Really makes a lot of since on those items listed. Here in the middle of Okiehoma with the one day hot and the next down to freezing in the winter it makes it a little harder to come up with a good medium. Thanks
      If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Thanks Rock. You lost me withe the grisweld part though.

Comment

Hey GW what do you think about this stove in Ti

41G3CSRh6iL._SX355_.jpg
          image.jpg
          opplanet-merkwares-emberlit-stove-titanium-ts6510210-v7.jpg

Dvor has it for $59 in ti and $29 in stainless. For the next 15 hours.

They fold flat too.

$85 on amazon

Material: Titanium
          Weight: 5.45 oz (136 g)
          Panels: 4x5.5 Inches
          Stove Height: 6 inches
          Top of Stove: 3.5x3.5 Inches

Comment

I haven't used that one but check iut this video. I've heard good things about it though.

Also, if you're thinking of that design instead, check out the Firefly. It's supposed to be lighter and better.

QiWiz, aka Qi Wiz, is a lightweight backpacker trying to be an ultralight one. Ultralightweight backpacking means carrying a very light pack on the trail. He is becoming known for cottage gear manufacturing including titanium cathole trowels. These titanium trowels are the lightest cathole trowels on the planet. More recently he has developed some very light useful buck saws, especially the improved Little Buck Saw, and the new larger MEGA Buck Saw. The latest innovative creation are the FireFly and FireFly XL stoves, woodburning or wood burning stoves made out of titanium that collapse and fold flat into an 8 mil ziplock or reinforced tyvek pouch. Very cool. The FireFly has options for use of alcohol and Esbit fuels with the MultiFuel options and DualFuel Burners. Use a FlexPort option to feed longer twigs or sticks into the fire. The newest accessory options are titanium windscreens, a Bake Kit or Baking Kit and a tianium grill or Mini Grill from Gary, the Zia Grill Guy. Gary's other gear, like his full-sized titanium grills and Zia Stix (aka Silly Stix) can also be found on the accessories page on this site. The UL hanging Esbit burner and Bake kit are available for the Emberlit and Emberlit Mini or EL Mini as well as for the FireFly. An ultralight titanium Esbit system is also available for the FireFly using a titanium WindShield or with any windscreen. You know you just have to have this gear. Made in USA. Titanium and stainless steel construction. These pages should be indexed as well under camping, hiking, survival, prepare, preparation, outdoors, minimalist, path, off trail, leave no trace, LNT, bushcraft, cooking, baking, grill, grilling, gear, equipment, EDC, every day carry, Big Dig, trail, fire, firewood, convenient, highly rated, value, skills

Comment

Have you seen the one like that made of hardware plates? Going to be a little heavier, but the price is right. I will dig out the link. I made one and it worked well.

Comment

Have you seen the one like that made of hardware plates? Going to be a little heavier, but the price is right. I will dig out the link. I made one and it worked well.

Something like this one. Not quite the same as I made

Comment

I go on deployments for all types of emergencies, be it hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes etc.

My first trip out west to a wildfire I packed to the limit. I had about 70lbs of gear. (or whatever the max was back then). They assigned an old school bus to take us up to the ridgeline of the mountain where the main camp was. About 2 miles from the top the transmission was slipping and smoking, so the driver asked our 20 man crew to get out and hike up. The old bus just couldn't carry us and our gear. "Just till we crest out on the ridgeline, and then I will drive you to the camp."
                  About 1 mile from the top, the bus slows down smoking and stinking. "Your gear is too heavy guys, just carry it till we hit the top and then I can drive you to camp."
                  About 1/2 mile from the top we hear him yelling "just give us a push, and when we get to the top".....................

So I found myself wearing the 70lb-ish pack, pushing a school bus up a mountain for 1/2 mile or so.

I dedicated myself to packing less, and packing lighter. So this thread speaks to me. I know the value of a light pack with efficient gear.

When I go now on these 18 day trips, my pack weighs in at about 27 lbs and that includes a full tent, sleeping bag, and line gear for doing my work.
                  "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

Lotta nice kit there Graywolf. I'm a huge fan of the Solo stoves myself. My own conditions are a lot different than yours as I haunt the higher elevations here in Wyoming.
                    You do realize you live INSIDE the "Triangle of Death" don't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X