Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilts

Chatting w/ Nichevo & Kessler last night, they mentioned they would like to see my quilts. Apparently a bunch of my pics are lost somehow, but here some.

This is the quilt I made for my mom. Its a Stack & Whack square pattern made from a fall leaf print fabric. I don't know how many blocks, but I don't think there are 2 alike anywhere on the quilt.
    Attached Files

Oh BB it is beautiful! You ever sell any? I am standing first in line for a quilt!
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

This is a twin size Pinwheel Stack & Whack I made for my daughter using Realtree Camo fabric.
      Attached Files

Comment

This was my first quilt. Made from a southwest print
        Attached Files

Comment

This is my 'unfinished symphony'. I started this one years ago. It is cut from a blue/white/silver poinsetta fabric. I have never been able to find fabric that suits me perfectly to finish adding the borders & have it quilted.

I don't have a quilting machine. I stitch the tops, then pay to have someone quilt them. I do all the finishing by hand.

Hope no one has been bored to death
          Attached Files

Comment

Nope. Not bored. Might not be what I'd put on my cot, but I recognize pretty. And that stuff is PRETTY.
            "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes, I would be open to making custom quilts. (can you tell I like the Stack & Whack pattern) LOL. I've also done a 'Lovers Knot' & some variation of Jacob's ladder (forgot the name). And lots of scrap quilts that I donated to World Wide Relief or local charities.

I've made & sold a couple, but not recently. Custom quilts can be very pricey...

I think I have enough of the blue poinsetta fabric & a similar fabric to the leaf pattern (same pattern, but more burgandy than orange) to do very similar quilts to what I've posted.

Comment

My grandmother made quilts for all the girls. I asked her one day why she never made them for the boys. I told her that we wanted something of hers to cherish too.
                She took me down the hall and opened her cedar chest. Took out an old quilt. She said that it was the first one she had made as a girl. Patchwork quilt probably made around 1930. I love it.

Later that year she called me to come visit. I went and she had me a new one too. She had made the top, but arthritis was getting worse so she had it quilted by a friend. I sleep under this one every night. I put the old one on a hanger on the wall.

My parents quilt now as a hobby in their retirement. My mom always did needlepoint and stuff, but when she started quilting and every one was bragging on her my dad started doing it too.
                Last edited by myakka; 10-02-2014, 08:35 PM.
                "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

My neighbor's parents quilt in their retirement. They did the machine quilting on the Leaf print & the camo quilt for me. I sent the book along for the Stack & Whack, because I knew her dad would go crazy trying to figure out the pattern if I didn't. LOL

Not to brag, but they gave me quite a compliment on how well done they were.

I have a quilt from my grandmother too that I really treasure. She made it of scraps of all the clothes she had sewn for my mom, aunts, me & my cousins over the yrs. It's fun to remember "my mom had a shirt from that", " I had that dress", "cousin wore that shirt" Good memories

Comment

What you are describing is very familiar to me. That's where my Mamaw's quilts came from too. Her family would get their flour and corn meal ground at the mill. The sacks these would come home in was printed with patterns for the purpose of the farming community "re-purposing" them into clothing.

Even the newer quilt she made for me was out of her old clothing scraps she had kept for so long.
                    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

I think I've just been 'hired' to make some quilts from someone's father's old shirts and a son's neckties. Hope the job comes thru. It's long distance, so we'll see...

Comment

Nothing better than sleeping under a quilt (as long as we are talking blankets ). Very nice work BB. Amish quilts up here that fit a double bed go from 400 bucks and I have seen some sell at auction for 1200 bucks . Good hobby if you like doing it. Show us some more.

Comment

Thanks, tfk
                          All the pics of the others I've done seem to have been deleted. Will see if I can get my brothers to email pics of theirs.

Comment

Was going to add BB and forgot. People are putting quilts on the side of their barns around here. Don't know whats up with that but I think a hand made quilt is way to nice to put outside for decoration. Have also seen some small ones on porch walls under roof. I guess they bought them they can doo what they want with them. I have a small one my Grandma made it's old as hell and used all the time and still looks new. I treat it like an old gun . use it but don't abuse it. And it aint ever leaving. TFK

Comment

They're beautiful.
                              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
                              X