No announcement yet.

Quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I remember , as a kid and we went to visit Grandma Stella she'd have the quilting rack set up in the living room. Her and the country ladies would be quilting for someone . I remember when some of the old quilts go holes and the batting showed lol it was uncleaned cotton that still had bits of hulls
    in it . I can remember cold nights with at least 2 quilts over me an barely being warm lol the old houses were not efficient . My mom when she retired got back into it and made many and quite a few by hand switching . She had an old Singer 1925 model or so and stayed with it lol still has it although at 92 she's given it up .

Comment

Originally posted by airdrop View Post
      What I remember , as a kid and we went to visit Grandma Stella she'd have the quilting rack set up in the living room. Her and the country ladies would be quilting for someone . I remember when some of the old quilts go holes and the batting showed lol it was uncleaned cotton that still had bits of hulls
      in it . I can remember cold nights with at least 2 quilts over me an barely being warm lol the old houses were not efficient . My mom when she retired got back into it and made many and quite a few by hand switching . She had an old Singer 1925 model or so and stayed with it lol still has it although at 92 she's given it up .
      I have an old sewing machine like that and it still runs great. I recall buying my first BRAND NEW SINGER sewing machine in 1984.... what a piece of crap. Nothing but plastic and I can't oil it.... have to pay someone to do so. So, I use it for the unique things it does, but do my main sewing on my older machines. I have a Kenmore from the 50's-60's and I just love how smooth and fast it is. I tell everybody to go to the thrift stores if they want a good machine. Btw, they still sell unbleached cotton batting for quilts.
      Dode

Comment

Airdrop, thanks for sharing the memories of your grandma. I started out on what was probably the first electric model that Singer made. Hang on to your mom's machine. When every other machine on the planet has quit working, that one will still be running strong.

Comment

I still have & use my Mom's "old" machine. It's a Hilton (generic Japanese head machine) that my Dad bought for her their first married Christmas in 1972. Still have the original user's manual which includes the purchase receipt.

Love that thing. All metal and feels like it weighs a half ton. It easily handles jeans, heavy fabrics, and machine quilting. I used it to sew the first quilt I ever made. Also used it to machine quilt the first quilt I made her - a king size; the top was all satins and slippery fabric and she chose duck cloth for the backing. Good grief, what an adventure that was. Even gave that "old" machine a run for it's money.
          Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

OK, the first quilt is finished. 4 Square Stack & Whack, fall leaf print fabric on a dark green background. 82 x 90 Queen Size. Pictured on a queen size bed w/ a pillow top mattress. Machine quilted w/ brown thread on top & matching light green on the bottom.

I'm listing it on Ebay at $650 w/ free shipping.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks great Betty!

Serious question - are quilts still going for that much $ ? And, PM if you don't want to answer here, how much $ excepting your time do you have in it?
              Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Honestly, I think it's a little high for my area where there are a lot of quilters. Here probably $450, that's why I'm selling online. The quilting & binding cost $120. Probably another $150 in fabric, batting & backing material. I don't know how many hours I put in, but a lot! 30-40 I suppose. I figure if it doesn't sell I can always drop the price some if I need to.

Comment

I'm no expert. But I go to a lot of auctions. Around here a new quilt that size would never sale for under $500 . I have seen them go for as high as 12 and $1500 but I don't know if the high priced ones are made different I just don't know enough about quilts. Even old quilts at estate auctions that size stay above $300. I can tell you the trouble I have with pricing things I make is after adding in materials I have to decide how little an hourly wage I'm willing to work for. A lot of times if I paid my self $10 per hour plus materials I wouldn't be able to sale it. In my case it's just a hobby and I love to do it although I do get overwhelmed during the holidays. Nothing is better for me than to make something I have never made before. It keeps me busy and interested in my work. When it's done I know I made it and I can keep it or sale it if I want. Your quilts are the same. It's a specialty craft. Not everyone can do it. Hold to the price your comfortable at selling it for . I'm sure it will sale at $650 .
                  Some advice though Betty. Don't be afraid to make one with off the wall colors and crazy design patterns . I have found when I carve or make crazy looking stuff. It sales quicker and for more money. People want and will pay more for one of a kind things they know someone else dosen't have .

Comment

Betty, I'll be going through much of mom's fabric stash and quilting supplies in the next couple of weeks, should I look for anything special?
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Got into a bottom drawer, found generous lengths of purple, some greens, some lighter grey, and some heavy, black or nearly black fabric. Not likely to be used by dad.

Comment

I'd love to have anything that your family doesn't have use for. I could come down Fri maybe.

Comment

That would be fun. I'm hoping my sister will speak for a couple of pieces of fabric, since she says she wants to make a quilt. I have no idea how many yards & yards of fabric there might be downstairs for her to work with, I need to put you both in the same room and see what kind of ideas come out.

Or she might get to the point of realizing being smart isn't everything - patience and being able to keep up steady, methodical repetition are needed.

Comment

100_2535 (2).JPG

This is the quilt I've just completed for the bartender who supplied most of the Crown Royal bags. It is 'throw' size. I've got about 1/2 enough to make another one. Hoping to get enough advertising from the first one to make another one to sell for a little more. The pic doesn't do it justice...it is really incredible!

If anyone has a stash of Crown Royal bags they would like to donate, PM me. I'm still looking for work & quilting like mad to try to keep afloat in the meanwhile.

Comment

Great job BB ! My mom made a quilt for each child and their children so I know there is tons of work that goes into each one,
                              People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                              ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Working...
                              X