• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ya Betty!
    good looking quilts you got there
    Southern migrater

Comment

I can't rely on monitor colors, but if 3 of 3 liked the sage, then I would go with that and finish with a medium or light rust binding.

Wow, you are inspiring me to start some projects!
      Dode

Comment

Betty,

Personally, I'd prefer the darker green but that's probably because dark greens are my favorite colors. I agree that it does make the blocks stand out more.

However, as there's one block that doesn't have any green in it (lowest left on dk grn) the sage green makes for a more balanced design look. Plus that will work with a greater range of colors that may be in use by the eventual buyer.

Either way, it's beautiful.
        Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Here it is. The pattern is called a 4 Square Stack & Whack.
          The top is done. Hope to find someone to do the quilting in the next couple of days. Queen size, 83 x 91. 288 2.5 inch squares!
          It's hard to get the colors to show right on the camera/computer. It's a Fall Leaf Print set on a dark green background w/ brown borders. Each block makes a different pattern.
          Attached Files

Comment

It's gorgeous Betty. I'm glad you chose the dark green.

Comment

Very pretty! How many hours did that take you?
              Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Oh, Betty! It turned out so nice! I like that it has a 9" border of the leaves. Also, the dark green; it makes the squares really pop. So glad you didn't let the gals at the shop influence your choice of green color. Usually they're right, but this looks fabulaous!
                Dode

Comment

Thanks all for the kind comments.

I didn't really keep track of hours very well. 30+hrs for sure, probably closer to 40. I know having it quilted will cost nearly $100. Then a couple more hours to hand stitch all the edges.

(Dode, I went w/ the dark green because the store was out of the light). I thought about using the light for borders, but the 2 greens didn't work well together & the light border drew your eye away from the quilt & washed it out...I almost always wait until the top is done to decide on borders. You can't quite see what it will look like before you get to that stage.

I'm going to ask around locally, but will probably list it on ebay to sell.

My SIL had a friend who wanted 1 or 2 quilts made from her dad's old shirts. I went & picked them up today. I have no real clear idea if she just wants scrap quilts or a pattern made. Also need to find out whether she wants them tied or quilted & how much she is willing to pay!

Comment

I have a great aunt who is still alive and quilting. Hers are pieced and quilted by hand. 10 years ago, she was getting $500 for her quilts. I remember seeing her quilt frame, with a quilt on it, hoisted to the ceiling when not being quilted. She used to do tied quilts, too; use a long strand of heavy thread and tie in many plces, then, go back and cut between the ties.

That takes me back to my one and only quilt ever made. I had forgotten about it. It was made from old blue jeans of the 60's and constructed in '71. I used polyfiberfill, a blue flannel back and tied it with dark yarn. It was my camping quilt and we used it during deer bow season to stay warm during the night. Hubby kept it and the camping gear after the divorce..... plus the Scout and a house full of furniture. I really wanted out of that marriage.. I was free in 30 days! Totally worth it. HA!
                    Dode

Comment

Custom quilt

This is 1 of the 2 quilts I was hired to make for a mom & daughter in TN & KY. They are made from the father's shirts.

I've included the pockets on some of the large squares & stitched some of the button plackets on to some of the others. I think it's turning out pretty well considering the shirts I had to work with.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That shirt idea is a great one and it looks terrific!

Kelly

Comment

I see you girls are still hung on the lumberjack thing

Comment

Oh Betty, it is gorgeous. They will love it. What a wonderful idea. A memory quilt..I think yu have found your niche market.
                            Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                            Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Windowpanes of memories.

Looks great Betty!

Comment

Originally posted by tfk View Post
                                I see you girls are still hung on the lumberjack thing
                                LOL, hey, it wasn't my idea! The mother & daughter wanted quilts made from the father & grandfather's old shirts.

Comment

Working...
                                X