Quick question about bunkers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about bunkers...

If you purchase a bunker, how do you know that the ones who install it will not disclose your location to unwanted parties (either unintentionally or otherwise)? Due to safety concerns, would it be allowed or impractical to install a purchased bunker by yourself? Would it be better to purchase the walls etc. from the company and just assemble it yourself via welding etc.? But when I think of the technology available via satellite etc., are bunkers mainly for hiding from civil unrest instead of corrupt authority? Am I wearing the tinfoil too tightly? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Red Sonja; 08-14-2014, 10:25 PM.
    Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Easy. You shoot them after they bury it

Comment

Buy from a reputable company who makes and sells bunkers. If the SHTF though, all bets are off.

Are you thinking of buying a bunker? Why not just get a shipping container? They are cheap and weatherproof.

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by AD View Post
        Easy. You shoot them after they bury it
        And bury them afterwards.

Most companies that build bunkers also do in-house installs, and those employees sign NDA's. FWIW after a major collapse, it may not matter. But most of those guys have access to a bunker anyways.

As Tex stated, get an iso box, 40 feet long and rent a backhoe. There's plenty of how-to videos and docs out there that can show you.

P.S. Tar the whole thing before you bury it, it'll save you from having an underground swimming pool.

Or if things get out of hand:
        From the road, it looks a bit like a post-apocalyptic country castle.Neighbours might be forgiven for thinking the property is some sort of commune.But Bill ...
        Last edited by MillenniumMan; 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM.
        You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
        Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
          Buy from a reputable company who makes and sells bunkers. If the SHTF though, all bets are off.

Are you thinking of buying a bunker? Why not just get a shipping container? They are cheap and weatherproof.

Tex
          But I thought shipping containers collapsed & are not advisable. I think I read that in one of Graywolf's posts. (were used in military temporarily & they collapsed)
          Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comment

RS, I was being a smartass seeing if anyone would bite.

Never Ever bury a shipping container. They are in no way designed to take the load.

One thing a person could do is build some precast concrete sheets with ample thickness and reenforcement. Dig into the side of a hill and make a sorta rootcellar on steriods. There are things one needs to do in order for this to work, but I didn't want to go into that great of detail. This is a cheaper and fairly easy option for people with a little construction experience.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

As bunkers or as cabins they collapsed? I have seen some pretty neat homes built from shipping containers, but I have no idea how they did long term.

Comment

As cabins, sheds, etc, they work. I think collapsing comes into the picture because folks bury them with no additional bracing or support of any kind, and forget about the forces involved in the weight of loose soil & rock they are using to backfill with (or worse, it might all be loose with lots of heavy rock.)

I'm pretty sure there are engineers just for that sort of thing. But there are also well-engineered things that can be used where other things won't work - preformed concrete culverts and tanks meant for in-ground uses. Many of those led to the popular models of tornado shelters on the market.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

There are a few that have been buried with documentation in the public domain. Maybe a follow-up to see how they've fared?
                  You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                  Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Shipping containers extremely strong at the corners, they are designed to be stacked 4 to 8 high during shipping voyages. To bury one you would want to reinforce the roof and walls. Welding additional braces would make one strong enough to bury, maybe bury it partially like a berm home.

RD
                    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

I have been curious about these as a cabin for a while. One of my concerns was snow load with the flat roof. How would you go about finding out what the load could be?

Comment

red- i don't see you having an issue. those things sit in rail yards and lots all winter long here.

RD
                        Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Erect a sloped roof on it if its an issue

Comment

Ad, to me, the fascination with these containers is keeping them simple and cheap, so adding a roof is something I would rather not do. Also, I have a plan in mind that would us portions as outdoor areas for patios and such, so I would rather not if possible.

Long ways down the road though.

Comment

Was just suggesting that if snow loads were a concern, a simple roof at a 45 deg angle could take care of that and give you storage at the same time, but I did not say that did I......

Comment

Working...
                              X