Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generators

I have been working on needs recently, and a decent generator falls into that category.

I have the opportunity to trade for a 6800 want Rigid generator or a similar generac. The Rigid claims clean power and idle down. The Generac has more parts and service available should it be needed due to such widespread use. The Rigid is next to new while the Generac has more hours and is several years old.

Can anyone help me sort this out? Both are electric and pull start.

This is the Rigid. I am not 100% sure of the generac model, but I think it is:

Home depot site is incorrect. THat is continuous wattage, not peak. They both have similar wattages
    Last edited by redman2006; 08-13-2014, 09:21 AM.

Red- Generac makes a really generator, the issue I have with them is all the electronics tied to them. I personally look for the ones with very little or no micro chips used with them..

RD
    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Do you have another you suggest? I don't have to make this trade.

The size is great. I could go slightly smaller.

Thanks

Comment

Whatever you get, I wouldn't suggest smaller. Power is like ammo, you'll rarely complain that you have too much.
        I do wish my Briggs Genny would idle down instead of being full throttle all the time.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Redman2006
          check out Power in practical prepping section .

DD
          OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Originally posted by dangerdan View Post
            Redman2006
            check out Power in practical prepping section .

DD
            I can only see a few of the threads there. The first sticky looked like it was going to help, but then it switched to solar. Is there more that I can not see?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
              Whatever you get, I wouldn't suggest smaller. Power is like ammo, you'll rarely complain that you have too much.
              I do wish my Briggs Genny would idle down instead of being full throttle all the time.
              I agree completely. I have a 4500 watt with the Subaru Robin engine and I wish it produced more power and would idle down. Hindsight always seems to be 20/20 when you buy something because a deal jumps in front of you before doing enough research.
              Bumper
              Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Comment

Once again, having a generator pays off. Last night was hot and muggy...close to 90*. At about 11:45pm, a heavy electrical storm passes through. Lots of thunder and lightning, with virtually no rain. Right in the middle of it, after one particularly loud thunder clap, power goes out. After waiting 15 to 20 minutes for it to come on (it didn't, and inside was getting hotter and hotter), I get up, get dressed, shut off inside breakers, go drag the monster across the yard to the power pole, shut off outside breakers, make connections, fire it up, go back inside and reset inner breakers. Yea! A/Cs start humming and it starts to cool off again. Back to sleep. After getting up at 5:30 (our normal time), we were able to make coffee, shower, etc before going out to shut down the genny and find out if power had been restored yet (it had).
                If you don't have some sort of back up power, I would recommend moving it up a notch or two on the list of things to do (because you're not busy enough already).
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

I keep hoping I can find a way to trade it out. So far, no one wants to pay for vet work with a generator. Or at least not a decent working one.

I keep looking at the Rigid model at HD. I really like it. The bigger of the two they offer.

Comment

I had the generac you are looking at. Longest run time was 18 hours in an outage. It was an OK unit.
                    I bought my daughter a bigger GE unit from Costco. She sold the house and I traded gennies before the sale.
                    The GE runs much quieter. Fuel burn rate is about the same.
                    This is the fourth one I've owned. Started out small on a great buy from a guy at work and kept trading up.
                    Only thing left now is a whole house standby unit but they start around $3k. I'll wait on that.

Comment

We have two generators. A Honda EU2000i and a Generac 6000W teeth rattler. Both are going on 20 years old. Both fire up on the second or third pull. The 6000 watt is connected to the house, and the Honda goes with us in our trailer. The Honda can't be heard after about 15 feet, the Generac not so much. The Honda can power every thing we need while boondock camping for about a week. After that it takes about 2 gallons. The Generac needs to be filled about every other day even at low idol (4 gallons). The Honda was expensive but worth it. We had to replace the carb on the Generac (no big deal or expense) and the micro controller (a little harder and a little more expensive). If I had to do it all over again I would have only bought the Honda EU2000, because we are on solar and only need the Generac in case we couldn't charge our battery bank with the sun. In all I'd throw Honda's hat into the mix.

Comment

I purchased a Troy-bilt 7500W generator. Itll peak for 10secs up to 10-10.5kW which is good for when your well kicks on and you are already running loads. What i cannot tell you is how well it works. I bought it two years ago and havent been forced to use it. I only recently just put oil and gas in it and ran it for the first time back in December. I fire it up twice a month, use it to pressure up my 10gal air compressor and check the tire pressure on my cars while letting it run. Kind of a win-win IMO.
                        If you do buy from a big box store i would recommend finding gift cards online to purchase them. Typically can save about 6-10% which will cover tax. On a $850 purchase... its worth the effort.

Comment

Thought I'd chime in here, even if its an old thread. I havent seen anyone talk about fuel source in this thread. I'll start by saying, I have way more generators than I need. Honda EX650 (by far my favorite of the bunch) Lifan 2600 inverter, Old Onan 6.5KW RV set, Diesel Northern Lights 20KW, and my newest project a Propane 20KW powered by an air cooled Wisconsin circa 1968. I was planning on using the diesel for the whole house backup system, but now that I have the propane unit my ideas have changed. Fuel storage is a BIG deal to me. I personally dont feel that gasoline is a great option to rely on for a backup generator, let alone a survival situation. Yeah, gasoline might be a little easier to obtain, but it's essentially un-storable. Diesel would be my second choice to propane. Just my $.02

Comment

Well, we are moving. Bought a home. It is part of out debt free movement. Anyway, it has one propane tank and I will have a second set. I still need the portable, but now I will be looking to set up a propane generator.

We will need it for the well

Comment

Portable is a concern for me as well, thats why I keep that old Honda EX650 around. Its perfect for charging batteries, and such, it sips fuel, and its very quiet. Weighs slightly more than 5 gallons of gas in a can.

Comment

Working...
                              X