Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Generators

Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Just a warning do not use Stabil as it can jell the gas into a goo and clog up the carb . I thought the carb would empty out if run with gas shutoff closed but in some models it will not , some gas bowels on carb have drain plugs , run dry then open that plug to let out any remaining gas . I've used Star tron it's worked well for me but do your home work .

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to airdrop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by airdrop View Post
    Just a warning do not use Stabil as it can jell the gas into a goo and clog up the carb . I thought the carb would empty out if run with gas shutoff closed but in some models it will not , some gas bowels on carb have drain plugs , run dry then open that plug to let out any remaining gas . I've used Star tron it's worked well for me but do your home work .
    Yup, Star-tron has worked well for me for many years. I've detailed my fuel storage plans earlier in this thread. But Stabil is not in it. Star-tron, Pri-G, and 2 stroke oil.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zef_66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So i tested my generator right before the hurricane. Worked fine. 1 pull it cut on. Power went out like 3 hours before the hurricane passed. So i waited for the wind to die down before taking the gen outside and cutting it on. I pull the cable and pop. cable in 2 pieces. So sitting in a house without ac, with flashlights Im sitting there changing the cable out with paracord. ran it for 2 days before running out of gas when i loaded the last 3 gallons in it I see power in the houses behind us come on. few hours later power in front of us comes on. midnight, gas depleted, no power. I got called into work, so i heard to work at 5:30am. Get a call 8:30am from my daughter. So what did i learn from this? I need more Jerry cans for gas. LOL, and i need to figure out a safe way to run the generator during the storm.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,451 Times in 4,242 Posts
    May I ask how many gallons of gasoline you had stored and how big your genset is? This is so others can plan accordingly .
    I'm so awesome that my doctor gave me a special jacket so that I can hug myself.

Thanks
    20 gallons, not counting what i had in vehicles. Its a 2500watt generator. I pretty much just powered a fridge, a couple fans, and a light. Keep the food safe and wife and daughter cool. bare necessities LOL. I should probably do 50 gallons next time. we still have neighbors without lights across the street.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It also has me thinking the Solar i want to do should come sooner than later. I know some panels might get destroyed but a battery bank would of lasted a few days on its own if done right.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,728 Posts
    This is good info. I have a larger generator and the rating for gas at full vs half load must be way off if yours did that. I guess I need to actually run it through a full tank to see how long it lasts. I would have thought the 25 gallons I keep would be enough for a couple of full days of running.

Thanks
    mine ran for almost 2 full days. remember im in Miami, so we got hit a day before AA's area

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,451 Times in 4,242 Posts
    Well, I've had this Westinghouse generator for just shy of two years now, and thought I'd give an update.
    I have been extremely happy with this genset. It is secured on the side of the house that is not visible from the main road. In order to power the house from it's current location, I built a power cord out of 6/3 cord to reach from the genset out to the power pole.
    I start it and put it under load every month. When I shut it down, I shut off the fuel valve and let it run until it dies.
    Just a couple of days ago, I was outside working, and when I came inside to take a break, I found that we had lost power at some point within the past hour (it was now 9:45am). After waiting a while to see if it came I back on (it didn't), I hauled out the power cord and went through my connection checklist. When it came time to fire up the genny, I pressed the START button, and nothing but a click happened, the start battery was too low to turn it over. Ducky. I grabbed the pull cord, and it fired on the second pull. Thank goodness, as that's a lot of engine to turn over with a pull cord.
    By now it was just after 10am. I powered up the house, and continued my normal day. One of the things that I was doing was cooking a batch of red chile brisket on the electric stove, and I was able to continue with that without a problem. I think that the only thing that I put off was using the electric clothes drier. The generator may have handled it ok, but there was no reason to push it.
    The only problem that I did run into was the realization that I had no way of knowing when power had been restored, unless I shut everything down and reconnect to the grid. I did this just after 12 noon, and found power had been restored.
    Going through the whole shutdown/ reconnect process just to see if power has been restored is kind of a pain in the tucus, so I devised a corrective plan. I mounted a switched outdoor light fixture on the side of my main power pole, and powered it by tying into the circuit breaker box BEFORE power goes through the circuit breaker. This way, I turn the switch on when I shut the circuit breakers off. When the light comes on, the grid power is on, and I go through the power swap procedure. The light is still downstream from my power meter, so I can't be accused of stealing power.
    Now I just need to remember to hook up a battery charger now and then, since it doesn't automatically recharge when the genny is running. I'm sure that I could have used a booster pack or a jumper battery, but there just wasn't the need for that at this time, since it pull started so easily.
    I'm so awesome that my doctor gave me a special jacket so that I can hug myself.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post: