No announcement yet.

Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I still don't know how long a tank of fuel will last. We woke up at a little after 3am, and the generator was still running fine, but grid power had been restored. I got dressed, went out and switched back over to line power. I couldn't see leaving it running any longer than necessary, and deal with the power fluctuations when it did start to run out of fuel.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

we had a power outage two weeks back due to lightning. Thankfully temps were super low so we didnt need a/c and the humidity didnt increase in the house that fast.
      i used a westinghouse igen2500 inverter generator to run the garage freezers. I have a few things i've changed if this happens again:

1) picked up a few 3' sections of SOOW 10/3 wire and made some suicide patch cords. This will enable me to completely isolate the whole house and run power on whatever circuit i want by running a normal extension cord and then plugging into an outlet (yes, i'll have to isolate that circuit to otherwise i'll feed the whole house). This is a temporary solution until i can hardwire in more safer solutions for power. BUT this buys me a long time b/c i know exactly what circuits to isolate (after having isolated the whole house from the grid, mind you) in order to run computers, internet, and overhead fans. This will enable me to continue to work all while only running the inverter gen, not my 7500watt big bad loud boy.

2) i currently have my freezers on a multi-tap and plugged into one outlet. this is all behind them so it sucks to get to the multi-tap. I'm going to rerun some extensions so i can control which one i'm powering (instead of both at the same time) without having to move them and get to the factory cord. When they both kicked on my genny really bogged down. Next time, i'll run one at a time for a few hours (turn setting to 'dont shut off') and then swap with the other one. This should keep everything frozen while not risking damage to anything due to overpower (gen) or underpower (freezer). Primarily concerned with underpower seeing how most genny's will fail safe.

3) Lastly, i'm going to look at powering my internet/router/switch off of solar. I need to do a power study on how much it consumers (use a kil-a-watt meter) but i'm sure I could build a simply single-panel setup and a battery to power that equipment so that we never lose internet. This is a to-do and is a ways down the priority list so for now... i'll use the patch cords to power it with the gen

Motorsnorkel/US Carb is the company i've been looking at to get a propane conversion kit for my gensets. Havent pulled the trigger though.

Comment

I had been pretty lazy and hadn't cranked the generator since last November. When Elsa headed this way I figured I ought to see if she'd bust off. Turned on the LP, gave it three pulls and she fired right up, ran 2-3 minutes and switched her to gas and ran another 15minutes. Luckily we barely had any effect from Elsa but at least she kicked me in the ass so I'd get ready for storm season
        [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on getting a propane adapter. I should. I know that I should. I just haven't.
          Defund the Media !!

Comment

I was the same way but my gosh it just makes it so worth it when you can fire it up so easy, I've never regretted it.

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

Comment

Originally posted by 0utlaw View Post
              I was the same way but my gosh it just makes it so worth it when you can fire it up so easy, I've never regretted it.
              I'm telling Mrs Stand that you MADE me spend $150. Or at least that's what I'll tell her when I actually order one.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

I'm good with that, if she comes all the way to the tropical Southeast to stomp a mudhole in me I'll take it like a man and then we'll fix ya some sweet tea and venison stew...or home grown pork if you wait till the fall

Comment

0utlaw , do you primarily use LPG only for starting the genset, and then run on gasoline? I have read where you lose some power when running on LPG? Is that loss of power significant? Do you feel it would be worth the expense and effort of installing the LPG kit for a genset with electric start, so rope pulling isn't a factor (usually)?

Man, that all sounds good. It's been too many years since I've had venison, stew or otherwise.

I do have an etiquette question for my southern friends. I was raised on sweet tea (my parents were from Florida). I get it, and loved it while I was young, however, over the years, I've gotten away from sugary things. I haven't had a soda in close to a decade. I now really prefer unsweetened tea, to the point that I have trouble drinking anything sweet, and the Mrs has been, uh, unsweetened for even longer. We both keep an eye on our blood sugar. I'm well aware that many, if not most, southern homes may not have unsweetened tea if they're offering sweet tea. What would be the best way to politely decline a sweet tea and maybe request something that isn't sweet, without offending the host, or at least with minimal offense? Please, be brutally honest. I would rather learn now instead of when in someone's home.
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

I'm born and raised in the deep south and folks here aren't easily offended. I have some Jewish friends and some Messianic friends, I never take it as offensive if they ask what is in something we are serving. In fact if we know they're coming I will usually ask them about any restrictions in what we are cooking. At this point I am fairly well versed in the basics of Kosher cooking. As far as sweet tea vs unsweet, I'd never be offended by someone asking for unsweet, maybe a little frustrated with myself because we normally don't keep unsweet in the fridge but I assure you if someone asks, Mrs 0utlaw will have a pot brewed up directly. Southern hospitality ain't no joke.

Comment

• We avoid that dilemma by brewing up unsweetened tea and serving it with a bowl of sugar and/or or pink stuff and a spoon on the side.

Comment

• As far as the LP generator, I would run LP full time if I had a big tank, LP is much kinder to an engine than gasoline, especially ethanol laced gasoline but my biggest tank is 100# which is about 2.5 days on my genset. It's just easier to replace gas most of the time so I hold the LP in reserve, it also doesn't spoil so its better fot LTS

Comment

• Power wise the LP is less but the only time it's a factor is during peak loads like the well or water heater and in truth the LP handles inrush better than gas as long as it's not maxing out

Comment

• Originally posted by 0utlaw View Post
                            ....I assure you if someone asks, Mrs 0utlaw will have a pot brewed up directly. Southern hospitality ain't no joke.
                            The hospitality was never in question. I'm just hoping to come and visit family and friends in and around Florida in a couple of years, and would rather avoid having my heart blessed.
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

• If/ when you head to Florida you need to stop in, I'll show y'all around my little piece of paradise

Comment

• Originally posted by 0utlaw View Post
                                If/ when you head to Florida you need to stop in, I'll show y'all around my little piece of paradise
                                I would be honored to take that tour.
                                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                                X