No announcement yet.

Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thing to consider is a large log chain wrapped around a critical portion of the generator and an immovable object. Quite a bit of thievery is a "Oh, look at that shiny toy. I want.". It won't stop all thievery, but it will slow down the casual ones, maybe just momentarily.

The trick, of course, is finding a suitable immovable object. I have a couple of eye-bolt/J-bolts in a concrete pad that I have.

Anyway, it's something to think about, especially if you're going to be pouring any concrete.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for your ideas.

CWI, ya, I'd love to spends 30k or so on a 10 foot security fence, unfortunately, that's just not a possibility. I'm going to be working on installing some better fencing, a little at a time, but if I wait until that's complete, we'll be without power probably no less than half a dozen times.

As for securing the new generator, I have thought of this. I was thinking about chaining it to the telephone pole post that I have sunk into the ground, but then realized that could be defeated relatively easily with a chain saw. I am probably going to look into pouring a couple of bags of Qwikcrete into a hole with a good, metal post to chain the new genny to. This will be up by the house, around the corner from where the other one was taken from, so it won't be visible to passing traffic, and I'll just run a power cable out from the genset to the transfer switch.

airdrop, I did go get a couple of those alarms, and got them installed this past weekend, one on my driveway just outside my gate, and one at the location of the theft. They do have a pretty wide field of view. The one at my driveway was picking up cars that were passing on the street. I had put a board up to narrow the field of view, and that seemed to work well, but we're still getting things set just right. The only problem is that with everything else going on, I forgot to secure the board, and it fell over. So of course, at 12:30 this morning and again at 1:45, the alarm went off, and I'm out walking the property to check on everything. Those do work well, but I wish the field of view was quite a bit smaller. I may end up putting some duct tape over about 1/2 of the sensor.

W.Lynn, that's why I want that large of a genset. I could get by with about 5500 running watts, but want that wiggle room for unplanned options.
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Kick,

I don't know your particular layout, but if it took 30k to defend it, it would be 30k better spent moving somewhere else.
        Dave gave you one good idea, a log chain. A few more would be a steel box, reinforced concrete box (cheaper than the steel), booby traps around it, among others.
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

The only problem with booby-traps is that, in the current screwed up legal system, anyone that trips one and gets injured would try to turn around and sue you (even if they were committing a criminal act). :-(

Dave

Comment

Kick - my two cents.

Whoever lifted the first gen set probably knows it will be replaced. They will be back. Not right away but they will be watching.

I would pick up a small dog kennel(4' x6'), secure it HEAVILY, install the gen inside and add an electric fence to the exterior of the kennel itself. Battery powered of course. Just to keep your dogs out of the kennel (wink wink). Some auxiliary fireworks when the fence is tripped would be a nice touch.

I had several other odeas but eventually you or the dogs would set them off yourself.

Comment

Didn't say anything about injurious traps. Dye bombs given in bank bags during a robbery being an example.

Originally posted by KyDave59 View Post
              The only problem with booby-traps is that, in the current screwed up legal system, anyone that trips one and gets injured would try to turn around and sue you (even if they were committing a criminal act). :-(

Dave
              When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

On those motion detectors kick, put a piece of electrical tape over the red light so the perpetrator doesn't see it when tripped. I have a couple of electric fence chargers I have been wondering how to incorporate in the security system.....
                Kessler
                I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

On a slightly different note, any of you leave your wife or GF at home at night might consider this, even good for men too: Put your car keys on the night stand next to the bed, if you hear a noise or someone is prowling or breaking in, hit the alarm and let the car horn blow and blow and blow. I believe that would deter even most hardened criminals. You already have this "security" no doubt, just test it from your bedroom. Better than nothing......and cheap, huh?
                  Kessler
                  I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                  INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

I vote for the logging chain......attached to a rabid pit bull.

Can not stand a damned theif. I am not sure what the laws are there, but I would do everything legal to defend home and hearth. WE purchased some battery operated security cameras wireless is good. We also had a good alarm installed. THERE are motion sensor lights that are solar powered and good quality now for very little money.

The arlo system is not cheap, but it was the only wireless, battery operated camera system that I could find. It has the binus, and the down side, of being Internet connected. WE can log in from anywhere, and it records off sight. UNFORTUNATELY I guess others could hack it too.

Comment

Of course there is this option

Comment

Purchased on a scratch and dent sale.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cwi, understand that we live about 20 miles from the US/Mexico border . This is where our life is .

As for traps, injurious or otherwise , I'll not comment. That's the sort of things that courts like to call "Exhibit A".
                          Defund the Media !!

Comment

Shovels and backhoes rarely make exhibit A.

Comment

Kessler...run a strand through the roll of concertina wire they get zapped, jerk back and get all tied up in it.

Better yet, if you have a teen that won't get out of bed at his alarm or hits snooze all the time, quietly run a ground and hot wire under his sheets. WHEN the alarm goes off, flip the switch to the charger. My brother suddenly found himself able to wake with his alarm. His wife swears he still twitches when one goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                                Purchased on a scratch and dent sale.
                                Jealous! Redman, i know that without a decibel meter, it's all subjective, but on a scale from 1 to 20, where would you rate the sound level of that beast? 1 being "I can stand next to it and not be able to tell it's running", 15 being "about what I'd expect", and 20 bring "Damn that beast roars"?
                                Last edited by kickstand; 10-31-2016, 08:43 PM.
                                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                                X