EMP / NVG Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record, just because it hasn't been mentioned yet:
    1) Mylar bags, the type used for food storage, WILL NOT protect electronics from an EMP. The reason is two fold, first is the way the aluminum film is applied, and the second is the way the bags are made into a bag. You need a minimum of 45db of shielding to protect electronics from an Nuclear EMP blast. A standard Mylar food bag will only provide about 10db of attenuation because the edges are not conductively bonded together. Mylar food storage bags were not designed with electrical properties in mind.

2) The cheap static bags that come with consumer electronics will only provide about 20db of attenuation, maybe 30 for the better ones like what computer motherboards come in. If you want a real EMP bag, you should be one designed for the purpose of protecting extremely expensive electronics. Check out the Dri-Shield 3400 series. A single layer bag (10 inches x 16 inches) costs about 80 cents and will provide 45db of signal attenuation between 1 and 10 GHZ.

The Dri-Shield 3400 bags will do the job for 90% of electronics, 90% of the time. If you want absolute protection, use two of them, on inside the other, with a plastic bag between them.

If Morgan's NV googles came inside a manufacturers static bag, and that bag was inside a metal vehicle, and they were turned off, it might have been enough for them to survive. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't say its unlikely either. Its definitely possible they could have survived.

Comment

Referring to the County Comm radio, Going Home page 35: "It was in an antistatic foil bubble wrap bag, the same thing the NVGs were in."

These bags do provide a fair bit of protection from electro-static discharge. The aluminum "Faraday cage" layer shields contents from electrostatic fields inside and outside the bag. The anti-static bubble absorbs shock, dampens vibrations and also provides ESD protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverside Rhodes View Post
        .... The anti-static bubble absorbs shock, dampens vibrations and also provides ESD protection.
        Electronic Sexual Diseases...wow, what'll they come up with next!?
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
          While your version is more entertaining, I suspect ESD is ElectroStatic discharge.

Comment

Kick, here you go.

I was going to post a different link, but it was definitely not work safe.

Comment

Olfart, ya, I'm aware, but a) you're right, my version is more interesting, b) I didn't feel it was appropriate to discuss "discharge" here, ewwww! , and c) I had about an hour of sleep the previous night, which may explain a lot.

Redman, you ain't right, brother. Maybe that's why we get along so well, but you ain't right.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

So I remembered hearing about these dolls a while back. They are causing all sorts of controvery. Brothels, are they illegal if it is with a doll? Sanitation when sharing? Are you cheating if it is with a doll that has artificial intelligence and reacts to you? And even an article on is it pedophilia if it is with a robot child doll.

Good God! How sick is our society? The fall of Rome comes to mind here.

Comment

Sodom and Gomorrah come to mind
                  [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

The whole sex doll thing fall under the "just because you can, doesn't mean that you should" rule.

Comment

Olfart, ya, I'm aware, but a) you're right, my version is more interesting, b) I didn't feel it was appropriate to discuss "discharge" here, ewwww! , and c) I had about an hour of sleep the previous night, which may explain a lot.
                      But I'm obligated to give you a hard time about it so you won't think I'm mad at you.

Comment

At this point, I'm gonna pretend to be a responsible adult, and remind everyone that this part of the forum is quite accessible to casual browsers. Please take the more questionable jokes and commentary to the Dark Side, and then let it FLY!
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Always use protection, buddy!

Comment

Yes mom....lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X