A question about Sarge and his crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Sarge and his crew

I am new here. so forgive me for asking this. but where did you get the idea for sarge and his crew? cause I know some guys who are dead ringers for them. And i do mean right down to the name calling the coffee cup so dirty that HASMAT will not go near it.

Originally posted by fisty View Post
    I am new here. so forgive me for asking this. but where did you get the idea for sarge and his crew? cause I know some guys who are dead ringers for them. And i do mean right down to the name calling the coffee cup so dirty that HASMAT will not go near it.
    Now, really. Do you think only the gubmint has surveillance drones? You're in a town named after one of the finest weapon systems in the known universe, and you think nobody's watching y'all?
    "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

I'm not sure how many are available to answer, but you are not going to be the only one to ask.

Sarge is an archetypal character, the tough as nails old non-com, the old soldier that is so experienced, that even a General or the President, if he was a good one, would listen to him, and the young men he has guided in the beginning of their careers have no doubts about him. He is Sgt York, Pappy Boyington, and Captain America, and you jump when he yells. He isn't as familiar any more, because hollyweird puts out what they want, instead of what we want.

His men are similar, the young ones who sought a leader they could trust when things were questionable. If you watch some old John Wayne war movies, and even some westerns, you'll be able to see the characters. A communications/tech guy, the medic, etc.

We love them so much, because we've been needing them for such a long time.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Gunny Ermey was the inspiration for Sarge, though I did stick him in the 101st as a nod to my dad who served in the Puking Chickens in Vietnam. Like you said, we all know guys like this. Guys that would put their life on the line for you in the blink of an eye but are just as like to squirt your coffee cup full of Visine if they get bored. LOL
        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Originally posted by angeryamerican View Post
          Gunny Ermey was the inspiration for Sarge, though I did stick him in the 101st as a nod to my dad who served in the Puking Chickens in Vietnam. Like you said, we all know guys like this. Guys that would put their life on the line for you in the blink of an eye but are just as like to squirt your coffee cup full of Visine if they get bored. LOL
          I have no idea what you are talking about AA lol
          According to my watch the time is now
          Past is dead and gone
          Don't try to shake it just nod your head
          Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

It's just so boring to behave all the time.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Oh yeah, fist, saw could just add easily be one of those guys. He spent enough time on the inside find nefarious things.
              I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Not really a question, but I have thought that a "prequel" that shows how and why Sarge became disillusioned with the path of the US and how he came to the decisions and preps that he did would be a great book. Maybe show the culture of the military and the mindset of those that are truly loyal to the constitution.

Anyway, it was just a thought I have had since reading the first book, and it kind of fit here.
                Last edited by redman2006; 03-20-2015, 10:41 AM. Reason: darn autocorrect

Comment

After reading all 8 of the Going Home series, Sarge and his crew operate more like a SF split team than regular army. They are definitely unconventional. Dalton is a great addition to the group! Can't wait to read Book 9 seems like everything is getting really interesting as to what happens next! Keep up the great work. Very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkshaw View Post
                    After reading all 8 of the Going Home series, Sarge and his crew operate more like a SF split team than regular army. They are definitely unconventional. Dalton is a great addition to the group! Can't wait to read Book 9 seems like everything is getting really interesting as to what happens next! Keep up the great work. Very enjoyable.
                    I believe Mike, Teddy, and Doc were an actual SF team. Hence why they operate as such.
                    lofflorida.com

Comment

If you read back through it, they tell you. When they first get to Sarge's place they give OP details on what they were up to.
                      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Working...
                      X