10 creative ways to start a fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 creative ways to start a fire

One of the things I'm obviously putting in the book I'm writing is how to make a fire.

There are is a lot of information out there on the most common ways to start a fire without a lighter or a match like a bow saw etc so I wanted to start collecting ways that people normally wouldn't think of so I have them in an article for reference. I put 10 of them in this article. If you get a chance, check it out and let me know if you know of any other ones or any suggestions on what I already have.

There's already an old thread similar to this here but I didn't want to hijack the thread and was looking for more of the really obscure ones.

P.S. the videos won't be in the book.
    Last edited by Graywolf; 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM.

Just for interest there are these solar fire starters on Ebay Au, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Solar...b2a3ae1&_uhb=1
    but probably not what you are looking for.

I carry a Silva Expedition compass it has a built in magnifying glass and starts fires easily,

As for starting fires with sticks, it only works if you fluke the correct wood combination and correct tinder, and you could take forever to work out the combination using your local available woods, so try using a cordless drill at slow RPM to see what works, if you can't start a fire using the drill you never will by hand or bow.

another favourite method is to use a fine wire filament , one fine strand of copper about 12" long pulled from some multi stranded electrical cable, wrapped around a pencil or such, place the coil under some tinder and heat up with any available battery

thinking outside the square, do any preppers pack a taser , I think you could easily start a fire with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Graywolf View Post
      One of the things I'm obviously putting in the book I'm writing is how to make a fire.

There are is a lot of information out there on the most common ways to start a fire without a lighter or a match like a bow saw etc so I wanted to start collecting ways that people normally wouldn't think of so I have them in an article for reference. I put 10 of them in this article. If you get a chance, check it out and let me know if you know of any other ones or any suggestions on what I already have.

There's already an old thread similar to this here but I didn't want to hijack the thread and was looking for more of the really obscure ones.

P.S. the videos won't be in the book.

I like this method Graywolf:

Try it! From one of my favorite movies too, "The Edge" RS
      Last edited by Red Sonja; 03-01-2014, 02:17 AM.
      Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comment

I really like the clear plastic bag/plastic wrap method.
        Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comment

We once had a bulb shaped flower pot, it was a clear thin glass, the bulb was about a 8" and the tube about 12" long. The whole thing sat about 18-20" as I recall. Well, it sat inside in the living room, and the sunshine came in just right one day, and burned the floor. You can use a coke bottle or something like that. Just see if you can get the sun ray to focus, and if it will, it will generate enough heat to start a fire.

Lucky we noticed, or the house might have burned down.

You should link to your original article as well, it is very informative.

10 Creative ways to start a fire without a lighter
          Last edited by unseenone; 03-01-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

That cordless drill thing is an awesome idea.

These are really good links.

I always liked that movie too. Thanks for posting that. I'e been wanting to watch that movie again for a long time but could never remember the name of it. Other than the money, I've always felt like Charles Morse.
            Last edited by Graywolf; 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

you got me thinking about a handy firestarter for days when its not sunny, or night time.
              I have a piezo starter salvaged from a furnace, same type can also be found on a propane stove /cooktop

I rolled up 6' of toilet paper and stuffed into a berocca tube and fill with metho (ethanol) , it will soak up a fair bit.

As many times as I tried it starts up first go every time, light your fire then pop the lid back on to extinguish the toilet paper wad .
              I think this would last for hundreds of starts, so long as you keep the lid on to stop the alcohol from drying out.

I'll keep it with me and give it a good field testing.

fl1.jpg

fl2.jpg

(just don't hold the tube in your other hand while you start it, or you will provide a return path and cop the piezo boot )
              Last edited by Goingbush; 03-06-2014, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Nice one! I heard the tip tastes bitter if you touch it to your tongue while you push the button.

I love projects like that.

Comment

Working...
                X