Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charities

Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 Times in 4,522 Posts

Charities

Since so many of us here do have specifically spiritual beliefs, and believe in acting on our beliefs, a good "suggestion" subsection might be a place to mention charities, what their track records might be, goals, if there's too much government involvement, etc.

I like the ideas behind Heifer International and Water1st International, but how efficiently is the money used? Is there any option to give anonymously instead of ways that give out too much personal info? I don't want to support private jets and million dollar vacations, we get enough of that crap from the elected 'leaders' already. Just a thought.

For those who don't like to follow links, Water 1st has the goal of improving lives through better access to clean water. Less time spent carrying buckets and jugs means more time for education, growing and processing (drying or preserving) food, better health, etc.

Heifer International has a goal of providing live animals, suitable to location, to make small family farms more sustainable through flocks of poultry, beehives, goats, llamas, camels, water buffalo, and yes, plain ol' heifers.

A quick search just got me the main pages. CharityNavigator.org only gives heifer international an over all score of 45.33 though, much better than some, but lower on the financial side, and higher on the program side. I'd personally be more impressed if they were also helping rural American families too. Shouldn't sustainable food be for everyone?

Water1st doesn't even show up there, though it's newer at only about 6 years, based in the Seattle area, and follows up on projects (most charity funded water projects get no follow-up, and fail within 3 years.)

So if someone has info on similar programs to those two, stateside, and with good track records, I'd love to hear about it. If someone wanted to know about something else, I might be able to offer some info.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,254 Times in 1,703 Posts
    W.Lynn I don't know about those two charities, but I found out yesterday that the American Cancer Society only gives 15% of what they raise to their charity, the other 85% is overhead/operational costs. This came from a representatives supervisor. Representative is not allowed to tell you but supervisor is. Kinda shocking!
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DMH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, most of them are like that, or worse

I'm all for starting one if we have to, Flocks for Funny Fuckers or Pigs fer Paste-eaters. There's a great lady in one of the small towns I shop in that might be shorter than anyone here, as round as she is tall, absolutely sparkling person, good wife and outstanding mother. Trying to think how to drag her here. She was itching to get hens, but had to prepare so they don't eat the garden. I'll check if she has them yet, maybe buy a sack o' feed and tell her it's from the idiots here, or help with coop construction, time is always a good donation.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 247 Posts

I thought this was helpful, especially since I'm the type of person who gets suckered in every time someone tells me about someone suffering.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JulieNY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,407 Times in 1,429 Posts
    I'm familiar with all the above organizations. Hell, when I'm at the CircleK, the cashier keeps asking if I'd like to donate to the Red Cross, and I give the usual speech about the evils of the organization with enough customers behind me listening in.

I just have only one question for the "GREEN" list, though.

What is it exactly that the Ronald McDonald house feeds the families? You seriously have to wonder.
    You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
    Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MillenniumMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,538 Times in 2,662 Posts
    Wendys burgers and Taco Bell of course.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ever have a newborn flown to a children's hospital in another state? It isn't easy on you. Been there, done that, stayed at a place like Ronald McDonald House that didn't happen to have a clown on the sign.

Keep in mind that the parents of newborns and small children (or any child) with severe problems are often younger, working stiff sort of people with nothing to spare.

They receive the use of a tiny place, like an efficiency apartment or hotel room with kitchenette. There wasn't much there where we were, bare essentials of cookware, dishes, or linens that someone donated instead of throwing away, and the utilities were on. We were grateful for it too.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W.Lynn View Post
    Ever have a newborn flown to a children's hospital in another state? It isn't easy on you. Been there, done that, stayed at a place like Ronald McDonald House that didn't happen to have a clown on the sign.

Keep in mind that the parents of newborns and small children (or any child) with severe problems are often younger, working stiff sort of people with nothing to spare.

They receive the use of a tiny place, like an efficiency apartment or hotel room with kitchenette. There wasn't much there where we were, bare essentials of cookware, dishes, or linens that someone donated instead of throwing away, and the utilities were on. We were grateful for it too.
    Agreed, it is a very needed service and in my opinion a worthy charity.

I can only speak of the Indpls Ronald McDonald House - but they keep the simple grocery staples of home on hand; frozen meats, canned and dry goods, etc ... nothing extravagant, but much better than a hospital cot or a flea motel.
    'All it takes for evil to succeed, is for good men to do nothing.'

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimmyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,050 Posts
    If anyone is interested, we're building an orphanage in Uganda. It's being done by a preacher there. So far, we've purchased the land, and now working on the foundation, then the building, etc. He's sending detailed receipts for every aspect of the project. 100% is going to the project.

I've referenced the above chart frequently, thanks for that. We no longer give a thing to Good Will, or any of the losers who are taking the bulk of the cash. I appreciate the data.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to unseenone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,050 Posts
    Here is an update on the orphanage project from Africa.

A WEEK WITH KID's GRANDMOTHER

Hello

This was a great week. We spent the whole of yesterday with the grand mother of the five kids. These five kids were the the ones whose parents were both hacked to death by unknown persons.

Life was so hard for these five kids that the youngest almost died of malnutrition. However, with the help of God, we managed to rescue these kids sometime last year.

Of these 15 kids we are taking care of, their Grandmother came to visit them yesterday Saturday 27th Sept 2014. The old woman was overwhelmed by joy to see the grand children blossoming in the love of God. She could hardly believe what she was seeing with her eyes. She brought a big cock and some staple food. We slaughtered and enjoyed the cock today Sunday 28th Sept. What a wonderful time we spent with the old woman. See their photo attached herein.

Meanwhile, we are breaking the building ground before end of this coming week. The Engineer has been busy working on approval of the building blueprint. He has finalized everything. I will send you the full details before Friday. Right now he is in Kampala but coming to Soroti early Mondy/Tuesday 30th Sept.

God bless you.

Bonny

Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to unseenone For This Useful Post: