Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have them there Frenchie White 'scovy ducks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have them there Frenchie White 'scovy ducks?

I ordered a dozen French White Muscovy duck eggs from a place in Boone county NC and hatched out 10 of them little weeds. I say weeds cause you can almost stand there and watch them grow. They grow faster than bamboo.

Anyhow I just ordered another dozen. Here's why I like them in no particular order:
    Super fast growers
    Drakes up to about 15 pounds before being dressed out
    All white which makes for a better looking carcass
    Lay a fair amount of eggs which I happen to like
    Meat is closer to beef sirloin, not like normal duck taste or texture
    Much larger breast than Pekin or other meat ducks
    Quiet, no quacking, easy to conceal in a suburban neighborhood.
    Broody, can raise their own replacements
    95% fat free and 1/3 or better less grease than Pekin ducks
    Friendly
    No pond or large body of water needed
    They love snails and all kinds of bugs including flies and maggots too

And the cons?:
    They shit

Anyone else raise them?
    Last edited by Kessler; 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM.
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

If it eats, you can expect it to unload. It's why most people keep animals outside.

They sound neat though.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I haven't done maskoveys. I did just send a dozen pekings to the butcher. looking forwar d to them coming back this week
      Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

G'damn Moscovy SOB ducks, All they do is crap and attack the grankids. Heard they are really greasy. They free roam in south Florida. Met a guy who left his caddie under his add on carport for the summer. Flock of moscovy duck roosted in the rafter. After he got back the neighbors noticed the ducks from the local pond started to disappear. I kick the dam things back into the canal if they fly up into my yard. Don't get me started!!!!

Comment

its a love em or hate em kind of thing
          Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

I love to hate them. For what ever reason they a protected around here. Some poor guy from Vietnam was arrested down in Naples when he saw one in a lake. When it came up to him looking for a handout (he probably thought what a great country) he wacked it with a stick and was on his way home to cook it when arrested. When they roam free they are noting but a pest.

Comment

Originally posted by seawind View Post
              I love to hate them. For what ever reason they a protected around here. Some poor guy from Vietnam was arrested down in Naples when he saw one in a lake. When it came up to him looking for a handout (he probably thought what a great country) he wacked it with a stick and was on his way home to cook it when arrested. When they roam free they are noting but a pest.
              You sure you don't want me to bring some down to you? They'd look good roosting on your house, your car, in your trees or on your porch!.......

I do agree that they are a pain when feral but contained they are great ducks. They taste great, much more lean than Pekins, eggs are good and they don't make much noise. Best duck all around in my opinion.

But, like pythons, tigers, wolves and a whole bunch or other critters, they must be confined as to not be a danger or a problem to other folks.
              Kessler

Comment

I know I bitch now. Come the SHTF its on the list of edible native food along with curlew.

Comment

seawind, that's the best way to look at it!

Comment

Originally posted by seawind View Post
                    I know I bitch now. Come the SHTF its on the list of edible native food along with curlew.
                    I've got another dozen French Whites in the 'bator now and when I end up with too many drakes, I am going to put one on the rotisserie. Hell, come a real SHTF there won't be a 'scovy to be found, and not too many dogs or cats either!
                    Kessler

Comment

Send 'em to freezer camp - or partially debone (to the best of your ability, usually no one bothers with the lower leg or wings,) stuff with jalopenos and a brick or two of cream cheese, adjust the amounts to suit your tastes, then do a bacon-wrap, and cook him up.

Comment

Working...
                      X