A decision is needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A decision is needed

Ok guys, here is a piece. Bear with me as I am using that new software, this is the first piece of work from it. I think its going to let me get more done, it will get better the more I use it.

Bob picked up the phone again and called Gene, asking him to come up to his office, while not happy about the request he said he was on his way. While waiting for him they watched the cameras. The crowd outside was getting bigger and more riled up by the minute. The protesters on the street woefully outnumbered the police forces, they simply could not field enough officers in any one part of the city to make a meaningful difference.

“What’s that?” Christy asked pointing at one of the monitors.

Everyone turned to look at the monitor she was pointing at to see a Humvee sitting far down the block. On top of the truck was a large square on top of it. Bob told Andy to zoom in on it so they could get a better look. As the truck grew in size on the screen the object mounted to the top became clearer.

“It’s an LRAD.” Bob said.

Daniel looked over at him, “What the hell is an LRAD?”

“It’s a sound cannon used for crowd control” Bob said.

“What the hell is a sound cannon going to do?” Christy asked.

“I have a feeling that you get to see in just a minute.” Bob said with a grin.

Gene came to the door looking none too pleased to be back in Bob’s office. He announced his arrival with a loud sigh, it was obvious he did not want to be there. Bob looked up at him with amusement.

“Sorry to wake you Princess.” Bob said

Gene didn’t even crack a smile, he was not amused. “What do you need Bob?”

“How long will generators run the building?” Bob asked.

Gene rubbed his whiskers for a moment thinking, “I think it will run the building for about 36 hours under full load.”

Bob rocked back in his chair putting his hands behind his head, now he was thinking.

“What can we do to extend that time, just in case is needed?” Bob said.

Gene shrugged his shoulders holding his palms out as if the answer was obvious, “reduce the dam load.”

“Well there’s nobody in the building right now but us, was the biggest load we have?” Bob asked.

Gene thought about that for a minute, “I would have to say lighting is the biggest load.”

Bob let out a sigh, “damn turning off all the lights would take forever to do in this building.”

Gene laughed, “you want the lights turned off is that all?”

Bob swiveled his head around look at Gene, “yeah, that’s all.”

“Andy, move your ass in the music computer.” Gene said.

Andy swiveled around the chair and stepped out of the way, Gene flopped his ass in the chair pulled the keyboard out from under the desk, using a side monitor he opened up a program. Once the program loaded he’s will around chair look at Bob, “you want them all off?”

“We should probably keep some minimal lighting on in the building but I would like to have everything visible from the exterior turned off.”

“Okay, all exterior lights and all exterior office lights, that do it for you?”

“How will the cameras really see what’s happening outside once it gets dark?” Daniel asked.

Without looking from the monitors Bob replied, “we have both thermal and IR cameras”, Bob looked over Daniel and grand, “we can see in the dark.”

“Go ahead and turn the lights out Gene.”

Once all the lights were shut off Gene suggested they shut down two of the generators, with no more load than they had running one generator should carry it, though he would have to check the load to ensure can also run the cooling towers and chiller plant. Bob’s on the go take a look and see what they could do to conserve fuel for the generators, there was no telling how long the power would be off.

“Where’s that FBI guy?” Christy asked.

“From the looks of things outside I don’t think he’s coming.” Teague said.

All this time Teague was standing in the corner staying quiet keeping to himself, he was a little nervous at the thought of being in such close proximity to an FBI agent. Daniel and his hot ass girlfriend had no idea what you been up to, he wanted to keep it that way she could. Getting his family involved in his troubles was the last thing he wanted to do. But the war on the streets below them would surely keep the feds away.

“Yeah don’t think ****’s coming.” Bob said.

Christy leaned over to Daniel whispered into his ear, “who’s ****?”.

Daniel turned his head slightly and whispered back, “the FBI agent, Bob calls and ****.”

“Hey Bob, the largest load running in the building right now would have to be the servers and their cooling equipment, you think we should shut them down to since the bank is off-line?” Daniel asked

Before Bob can answer the phone rang, Bob palmed to the phone, “yello”.

“Bob you need to pull up the camera facing the east exit of the parking garage now.” The voice on the other end said.

Bob told Andy which camera to pull up, “why what’s going on?”

“You’ll see in a sec.”

When the video popped up they could see the large security gate on the screen, Bob leaned in tort the screen looking at it and said out loud, more to himself than anyone else, “what the hell is that?”

The voice on the other the phone answer the question for, “they’re using a saw to cut through the gate, some kind of chop saw.”

“Holy ****.”

“Are they cutting their way in?” Daniel asked.

“Sure **** looks like it.” Teague said.

Bob directed his attention back to the phone, “we cannot let them get through the gate.”

“Well what the hell do you want me to do about it?”

“I don’t know, but we have to stop them somehow.”

“Shoot the ****ers.” Teague said.

Everyone in the room turned and looked at Teague, he simply shrugged his shoulders and stared back at them, “what else are you going to do, if they get to the garage they can get into the building.”

Bob looked back to the monitor, “go down and bang on the door seeking to scare them away where watching you on the camera.”

“All right I’ll give it a shot, but if I get shot at I’m shooting back.”

They all watched the figure on the screen move towards the security gate as a steady stream of sparks spilled from it. There was no audio, just the sight of the figure moving towards the gate. He held a 12gauge shotgun up at low ready, when he got it again he banged on the balled fist, and the spark stopped. They watched as the man kicked the gate and it appeared he was shouting at it. Suddenly the security guard jumped ducking his head and pressed himself against the wall beside the security gate. From his actions they can only guess what was happening, he was being shot at.

Bob still had the phone, he could hear the man yelling he could hear what sound like small pops, then he heard and saw on the monitor the phone fall the floor. The security man took half a step away from the wall and began to fire his shotgun in the security gate. In what seemed to be too short of a time span he was reloading the tube on the weapon.

“Andy, give me an outside view of the door now.”

Comment

A decision is needed

Alright guys here is a piece. More to come tomorrow.

They all watched the figure on the screen move towards the security gate as a steady stream of sparks spilled from it. There was no audio, just the sight of the figure moving towards the gate. He held a 12gauge shotgun up at low ready, when he got it again he banged on the balled fist, and the spark stopped. They watched as the man kicked the gate and it appeared he was shouting at it. Suddenly the security guard jumped ducking his head and pressed himself against the wall beside the security gate. From his actions they can only guess what was happening, he was being shot at.

Bob still had the phone, he could hear the man yelling he could hear what sound like small pops, then he heard and saw on the monitor the phone fall the floor. The security man took half a step away from the wall and began to fire his shotgun in the security gate. In what seemed to be too short of a time span he was reloading the tube on the weapon.

“Andy, give me an outside view of the door now.”

When the camera view popped up the screen showed a body sprawled on the ground with something laying by its right hand. Bob told Andy to zoom in on it, the object rapidly grew in size, a Glock handgun soon filled the screen. Andy backed the camera to take in the crowd, they could see the guy with the chop saw, he was yelling and gesturing wildly. People were running in all directions.

Inside the garage, the camera there showed the security man pick his phone up, then Bob heard him scream into the phone, “They’re ****ing shooting at me!”

“Smitty, get yer ass out of there, we’ll secure all the gates behind you.” Bob replied.

“Oh my god, is that guy dead?” Christy asked no one in particular.

“Sure looks that way.” Gene replied.

Bob was still watching the cameras, the crowd outside was getting their act together, rolling a dumpster up to the gate to use as cover to renew their assault on the gate.

“Gene, you got anything we could reinforce that gate with, they’re going to get through the gate with that saw.” Bob asked.
      Gene thought for a moment, sucking on his whiskers as he did. “I’ve got a couple of package chillers in the basement, they came in last week, with all this crazy crap going on we haven’t been able to install them, they’re almost as wide as the gate, though they are only about five feet tall.”

“It’ll slow em down, let’s do it, how many do you have?”

“Three.”

“Take two of them and stack them against that gate and put one in front of the other, when they get through this one and see the crates they may try the other, when they see another crate there maybe they’ll give up.”

“Why are they trying to get in here anyway, we haven’t done anything to them?” Christy asked.

“They’re ****ed at the world right now, no one can get to any money, those food stamp cards don’t work right now and this is a bank, the epitome of evil.” Teague said.

“That an Bob and Daniel did shoot one or two of ‘em earlier.” Gene added.

“We need to try and push ‘em back from the building somehow.” Bob said.

“Aren’t the police coming?” Christy asked.

“I doubt it from the looks of things out there right now.” Bob said.

“Hey Bob, when we were on the roof I saw a pipe for a fire hose, if we had a hose we could turn in on em, hose em down, maybe they would pull back.” Daniel said.

“That’s a good idea, Gene, you got some hoses?” Bob relied.

“Yeah, we got em, how many you need?”

“Alright, here’s what we’re gonna do, Gene, you and cousin here go move the crates into place, Daniel and me’ll get the hoses up on the top of the garage and put some water on the unwashed masses down there, Andy you stay here and keep me up to date.” Bob said.

“What about me?” Christy asked.

Bob looked at Daniel, “You stay here and give Andy a hand for now.” Bob said.

“**** that, this isn’t some stupid movie where the girl is useless and is the first to get killed, I’m going to help one way or another.”

Bob raised his eyebrows at her, looked at Daniel and said, “Feisty little thing.”

“More than you can handle.” Christy replied as she folded her arms across her chest.

“Bob, let me and Chrsity go up on the garage, you need to find your security guys and get them set up, plus you can keep an eye on things here and let us know what’s going on.” Daniel said.

“Alright, let’s get going.” Bob said.

“Come on Daniel, I’ll show you where the hoses are.” Gene said as he headed for the door.

Gene, Teague, Daniel and Christy took the elevator down to the bowels of the building where Gene was more comfortable. He showed Daniel where the hoses were stacked, then went to get his forklift.

“Be careful up there on the roof.” Teague said.

“Sorry for all the trouble man, guess you picked a ****ty time to visit.”

“Hey no worries, it’s a ****ty time in general right now.”

Christy pushed a Rubbermaid cart over and Teague and Daniel loaded up four lengths of fire hose on it, then Daniel and Christy headed for the elevator. Somewhere back in the mechanical space Gene tooted the horn on the forklift, Teague looked over his shoulder and turned to go find the fat man.

Daniel looked over his shoulder as he pushed the cart, “Sounds like your date’s waiting.”

Teague gave him the finger over his shoulder.

Once inside the elevator Christy leaned against the wall, she was biting her fingernails, a nervous habit.

“Quit, you’ll ruin your manicure.” Daniel said.

She paused to spit out a piece of nail or something, “Right now that’s the least of my worries”, she looked at the stack of hoses on the cart and gestured with her chin, “is this gonna work?”

Daniel looked at the cart and shrugged, “Dunno, but we need to do something.”

The elevator opened and Christy screamed. Daniel was leaning over the cart about to push it, he jerked his head up to see Bob standing there with a cigarette clenched in his teeth and Cheshire Cat grin in his face.

“Damn it Bob, you scared the **** outta me.” Christy shouted.

Comment

A decision is needed

YES!
        Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
        Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

A decision is needed

Great stuff as usual!! Keep it coming!!

Comment

Has the ammunition run out unseenone?!

Comment

I know Angry is busy with going home. But I love this book so far and NEED MORE!!!!

Comment

Soooooo......... You're deciding on a title?
                You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

This is what half an hour of boredom at work looks like:

DECISION.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MelissaAnn
                    I'm really confused.
                    That's ok, we still care about you.

Looks like Unseen is putting a good story out, but it felt kind of.... incomplete without a cover.

Comment

I thought it was Unseen. The posts are under his name.

Move over a bit, I need some room on the confused bench.

Comment

AA was posting Cry Havoc at the old hangout, it was getting copied here as a matter of convenience.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

More ?

Comment

AW Let them stay confused.
                            If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

I think he is ghost writing right now........all the rest of the story is invisible now ,but is still ....Haunting ......
                              You may soon get to see the rest of the story on the six o'clock news .

DD
                              OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Moar please. Bought the short story last week or so. Will you finish this one?

Comment

Working...
                                X