Home Grown Convertible Log Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Grown Convertible Log Splitter

About 35 years ago I decided I needed a log splitter. No money to buy one, so I built one for the 3 point hitch on my tractor, powered by the tractor hydraulic system. It worked great as long as I didn't cut too big a tree. Being a horizontal splitter, the logs had to be lifted up onto it. Over the years I've acquired some logs that were entirely too big for me to lift, and lifting logs is not nearly as much fun as it used to be. Thus was born the idea to modify my old splitter to work vertically or horizontally. It's taken me a couple of months to do the modification, but it got its maiden flight today. My neighbor gave me some 26" diameter logs (BRANCHES from the red oak tree in his yard). Even wrestling those things onto the foot of the vertical splitter was a chore, but infinitely better than lifting them a foot off the ground to put them on the rails. I split two of the monster logs today before the thunder chased me inside.

Splitter Mod 1.jpg

Splitter Mod 2.jpg

Getting the splitter from horizontal to vertical is a chore in itself due to the weight of the cylinder. No way to put the pivot nearer the center of gravity, because the 3 point hitch only lifts it 26" above the ground. That caused me to do some head scratching and come up with a solution. Using the splitter's hydraulic ram and a 6' piece of steel cable, I now can attach one end of the cable to the framework under the splitter and the other end to a hook on top of the wedge. Then by retracting the ram, it pulls the bottom end of the splitter down until it reaches the breakover point, then gravity takes over. See a brief video here:

This is "Log Splitter Erector" by John Spann on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

I like your solution. I always drooled over the ones with a log lift on the side. My answer has been to use a set of skidding tongs on my tractor bucket to lift them onto my horizontal splitter

Comment

If my splitter wasn't firmly attached to the rear of my tractor, I'd have done the same. It'd be a pain in the wherever to have to disconnect the splitter and use the bucket to put a log on it.

The ideal solution would be one of those Bobcat-mounted splitting systems that feeds the log, cuts it to length and does a 4-way split all in one operation. I don't think my CFO would approve that line item in the budget, though.

Comment

Bobcat? You are thinking too small

Comment

Or this

Comment

Holy cow! I'm not a doctor and can't afford any of that stuff. Besides, the Bobcat would do all the wood we need for a year in about 20 minutes.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Hey, a guy can dream.

I just switched to a hydraulic splitter from hand. If I only need a few, or they are good, straight grained oak, I still like using the maul. It is a good way to work out frustrations.

Comment

We use about 1 - 1 1/2 cords a year using wood exclusively for our heat in winter. At 76, I'm not into swinging a maul that much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by olfart View Post
                  We use about 1 - 1 1/2 cords a year using wood exclusively for our heat in winter. At 76, I'm not into swinging a maul that much anymore.
                  Amen brother ! Im 54 and have no desire to swing that maul. Last time I tried, it bounced back at me.
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

I actually enjoy the workout and blanking my mind, I just don't have time. The logs I have gotten recently are big enough that I have no desire to tackle them with a maul until they are quartered. We run through 2 to 5 cords depending on the winter and how lazy I get with us g the hvac.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                      Hey, a guy can dream.

I just switched to a hydraulic splitter from hand. If I only need a few, or they are good, straight grained oak, I still like using the maul. It is a good way to work out frustrations.
                      I prefer a 6 pack for that now day's. )

RD
                      Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Ya RD, but you aren't raising a teenage daughter like Redman is. Sometimes you just have to hit something with a hammer.
                        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Lol. I kinda got stuck on tin cup. I like a beer, but prefer whiskey. The beer is for after the work in the wood pile.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                            I actually enjoy the workout and blanking my mind, I just don't have time. The logs I have gotten recently are big enough that I have no desire to tackle them with a maul until they are quartered. We run through 2 to 5 cords depending on the winter and how lazy I get with us g the hvac.
                            What for wood are you burning?

Last winter was pretty cold here in Central PA with several weeks below 0°F. I burned about 6 1/2 cord of mixed oak & maple. That provides all the heat and hot water for our house.

Comment

We burn whatever I can scrounge other than poplar and pine. Mostly it is oak. Our set up is not too efficient. I have a large insert for the fireplace and have to use fans to blow it around. If we had a free standing stove in a more central location, I would be far better off.

Also, having not planned well, and be g too cheap to buy wood, I had to burn some that had not seasoned as well as it should have. It does not give the heat the others will. I still had a clean chimney though, so no issues with creosote

Comment

Working...
                              X