Canning Meat Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Meat Anyone?

For what it's worth, and no, I am not recommending that you do or try it. I am just stating what I did.

I canned some boneless turkey in May 2011. Today I opened the jar and made sandwiches out of it. I drained the liquid, heated the turkey in a cast iron skillet, added BBQ sauce and mashed the meat up while mixing the Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. IT was great!

So, my point is, I know that my turkey (and chicken, pork and beef) if canned properly, will be edible over 5 years from now.

I do remember some of the C-Rations I ate while in Vietnam in '64-'65 were dated back in the thirties.
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

I think that I had some of your turkey....at a Subway shop.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

I ate my share of c-rations, no telling when they were canned either, but I ate them until I couldn't even get them at the surplus stores any more.

And I do can meat, we're still eating the pork loin I canned years ago.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

If it's done right, it will last a very long time.
        Edit; and stored right.

Also suggest using this search string in google;
        The steamboat Bertrand was heavily laden with provisions when it set out on The Missouri River in 1865
        When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Working...
        X