Calories for critters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calories for critters

Some of the crew here would remember the shape Dyson was in when we came home and found him, a long time ago. I got out of the habit of posting about him, so I sometimes even get "do you still have him?"

I reply, then laugh and tell my husband that Dyson has fans.

He's still here, topped out at a reasonable size for an adult chihuahua that eats good (9.5 pounds, with a little up & down range, in danger of losing his waistline eventually but still has it now.) He goes outside more often, insists on it sometimes. He sniffs the breeze, watches the neighbors like they're all masked, chainsaw-wielding, murderers in clown makeup, and doesn't get how we don't see that.

Being an energetic, excitable kind of guy, he has some caloric needs that would surprise people. He gets a small pack of soft food, often twice in a day or two in the evening, plus I keep dry kibble down for him to snack on, and dogs are supposed to be omnivores, so is allowed to clean the occasional plate (even if he has to put both front paws on it to reach the middle.)

Just no sweets, and not much bread, or foods/dogfoods made almost entirely of grains. Chihuahuas have a tendency to go diabetic over the years, and we don't want to go there.

The cats are cats, and I expect the costs on that side to go down a bit, since I'm not buying the soft, wet, easily digestible stuff for the ancient one any more. Usually I figure if they want a treat, they should start killing flies or something, but they've been nice to Dyson lately, so I might get them something. They all get scoops of kibble from the same big bag, and if we happen to run out when the river is up onto the road, they can have canned tuna or salmon.

I do sometimes wonder how much they might feed themselves if modern traffic wasn't part of the picture? The moles, frogs, mice, small birds, and squirrels would be in danger from the feral population, but the fat, lazy, indoor cats would be in danger from people!
    quam minimum credula postero

Doggy waistlines, by the way, are located by looking down from above them while they are standing. The ribs and hip bones should be adequately padded by muscle, with an area in between them that curves gently inward. If they are straight, to rounding outward, many small animal vets would recommend feeding less.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
    X