PDA

View Full Version : Practical & Tactical Christmas Presents

Jen E ThriveWNC
12-09-2016, 06:13 PM
In the spirit of prepping, we have celebrated Practical and Tactical Christmas, birthday, anniversaries, etc. for years.
What practical and tactical gifts are you giving or hoping to receive? :elkgrin:

KyDave59
12-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Interesting idea. For my birthday last year, I got a open fire Iron cooking tripod, to go with the Dutch oven I got earlier in the year. Not sure what I'm going to get for my birthday this year (It was yesterday, but I've been so busy that we haven't had a chance to celebrate.).

For Kathy's birthday earlier in the year, I got her a Tritium powered key-chain. Hey, it makes a good marker light when you're out in the field. (Sheeze, they've doubled in price!).

Dave

Jen E ThriveWNC
12-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Those are both great gifts! I will have to check out the tritium powered key chain!
Still looking for some goodies for hubby ;)

W.Lynn
12-10-2016, 01:50 AM
I actually want to order a few more uzi brand tac pens from jag. He prices competitively, stays on top of my orders, and the previous tac pen was very well received. They didn't take to their forever-matches quite as well, too ham fisted with the striker (but they'll never admit that!) There was an accessory someone linked somewhere, for winding paracord onto - with a guarded blade, clip to snap a mini bic lighter into, and a few places to tie ends through if you wanted (say you just wanted the casing but didn't want to lose the core strands.) I might look for the link and get a few of those if they're still around, the two I bought have been handy often enough.

Jen E ThriveWNC
12-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Love those ideas W.Lynn! If you find some links, I would love to see those.

kickstand
12-10-2016, 11:17 AM
A quality gas mask. Even if you don't plan on upsetting the local or not-so-local LEOs, I'd be willing to bet that you likely have flammable fuels somewhere near you. The ability to see and breathe in a bad situation can be the difference between life anf death, or even just breathing relatively easy vs hacking up a lung when that ditch has to be burned out.
I don't have this style or brand, butI felt a link of some sort was needed .

https://toptiergearusa.com

WhiteBear620
12-10-2016, 04:59 PM
I was gonna get my step mom into HAM radio since her and my dad are preppers too, and her biggest fear is not being able to talk to family in other states, but the wife squashed that idea with more "cute" things like a Bucs hat for her...oh well.
I did get my mother a cast iron skillet though.
And I'm giving my 15-22 to my brother in-law since he doesn't have a rifle and I haven't used my 15-22 since I got my AR.

W.Lynn
12-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Love those ideas W.Lynn! If you find some links, I would love to see those.

Jag (here on this forum) has OR can order two of them - the "forever match" looks like a tiny flask. The paracord tool was something produced by a veteran-owned business, I'll find it ...

kickstand
12-10-2016, 07:13 PM
http://www.paracordplanet.com/the-spool-tool-black/

http://shop.nstactical.com/en/home/78-survival-match.html

gpwelding1
12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Been hinting to my wife. I want one of the Firefield Spirit night vision monoculars . They've got them on ebay right now for $89.00!

gpwelding1
12-11-2016, 06:16 PM
UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS POST.
just found a seller on eBay that has them new for $67.49 with free shipping!

Jen E ThriveWNC
12-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Looking for a good quality decent priced tritium keychain for hubby and daughter. What are these things usually going for? $20-$25 might be a fair price?

Jen E ThriveWNC
12-17-2016, 08:09 AM
I went onto the uvpaqlite site this morning and found a few goodies. I LOVE these products!
I also got free shipping AND it will be here in time for stocking stuffers ;)
https://www.uvpaqlite.com/holiday-specials2.html#!/~/

Simohayha
12-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Might I also suggest www.bottlebreacher.com it's run by a former SEAL, love the stuff he has on there. .50 cal bottle opener that you can customized, bullets that you can use to chill ones spirits.

gpwelding1
12-25-2016, 01:31 PM
YES!!! Got the NVM!!!:lol::lol::lol:

W.Lynn
12-25-2016, 08:02 PM
The "Spool Tool" is available at a few different paracord web sites now, which is just as well - the original site was not very user friendly.

apache235
12-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Got a couple of spool tools as well as a very compact fishing rig, not that I fish, but I think it long past time that I learned. I also got my wife and one daughter to go to a Sigma 3 survival class (with me of course). Pretty good Christmas for me :)

kickstand
12-26-2016, 01:24 AM
Gp, please be sure to write up a review of the NVM. Let us know if its well worth the price or if it's another Chinese throw away.

gpwelding1
12-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Will do kickstand. I tried it out last night and was really impressed. But I want to put it through the paces before I review it.

redman2006
12-26-2016, 12:27 PM
My wife did stocking stuffers with a life straw, metal match, compass, a neat fishing set up for a bank line, trekking poles, a neat solar lantern/flash light, and a few other small "survival" camping type items.

https://www.sciplus.com/p/FISHERMANS-AUTOMATIC-FISHING-REEL_48949

This is the fishing real gizmo. I think it will work well for a bank line.

Betty Buckshot
12-27-2016, 02:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Aluminum-Rechargeable-Torchlight-Emergency/dp/B00XMZ8HMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482867510&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=solar+flashlight&psc=1

I got one of these for someone who had a really bad flashlight in his truck :whistle:

ECEENŽ Solar Powered Flashlight, Aluminum Alloy Handheld Flashlight Rechargeable LED Torchlight with USB Charge Cable. Amazon less than $15. It's pretty bright, supposed to last up to 3 yrs in the glove box once it's charged. Seemed sturdy. Hope it works well.

kickstand
12-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Redman , that's also known as a yoyo reel. We keep one in our GHBs, though I don't know why...we have no water anywhere nearby.

W.Lynn
12-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Redman , that's also known as a yoyo reel. We keep one in our GHBs, though I don't know why...we have no water anywhere nearby.

Maybe because people (including you,) might travel?

kickstand
12-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Ya, I might run a marathon too, but it's about as likely .

gpwelding1
05-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Gp, please be sure to write up a review of the NVM. Let us know if its well worth the price or if it's another Chinese throw away.

Ok, after testing the firefield spirit for almost 6 months ive gotta say, I'm really impressed! The image is clear as some of the more high dollar nvms ive seen. Battery life is WAY longer than I would have thought, still using the same batterys. Has front focus on the front lens and fine focus on the eye relief. Its also pretty rugged, I treated it like it was meant to be used, and it held up with no issues. Only negative thing I saw was the case that came with it was tight and tough to get the nvm in and out. But I remedied that with a $15 military case off ebay.
To sum it up, I highly recomend the firefield spirit nvm.
The picture below is a stock image showing the NVM, case that comes with it and packaging. I'll be glad to answer any questions. Just ask here or send a private message.

redman2006
05-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Can you take any pictures through it on nights with various lighting?

gpwelding1
05-10-2017, 07:20 PM
I will try to this weekend

gpwelding1
05-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Ok, I tried MULTIPLE times to capture night time images through it with my cellphone camera. The images just didnt look right.
Anyone have suggestions on how I could get these images for the review?

W.Lynn
05-17-2017, 06:12 PM
No ideas here, many a high-end, more money than sense, photographic type could probably tell us about expensive gizmos that go on expensive cameras, but that's not usually us.

kickstand
05-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Ya gp, go spend more on the gizmos than you did on the NVM so we don't have to . :)

redman2006
05-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Thanks for trying. I was just really curious how it looked.

gpwelding1
05-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Ya gp, go spend more on the gizmos than you did on the NVM so we don't have to . :)
Lol yeah , I can see me practicing my firstaid skills after mrs. Gp gets ahold of me! Unless y'all want to start a donation fund for the gizmos

gpwelding1
05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
I'll still keep trying to figure out a way redman2006.

Infidel
05-25-2017, 07:45 AM
wife bought me my esee 6, I built her an AR pistol.

kickstand
05-25-2017, 12:51 PM
wife bought me my esee 6, I built her an AR pistol.

I'm just going say it...she got the better end of that deal. What length barrel did you use?

Infidel
05-28-2017, 03:50 PM
10.5", she never fired it though. Im thinking of trying to trade it for a glock 17 with a few mags. She wont use it and I got several of my own.

kickstand
05-28-2017, 04:40 PM
To each their own. Out to about 20-25 yards, I think that I can throw a Glock more accurately than I can shoot it. But if you like em, I'm not going to bash em (yet).

redman2006
05-28-2017, 06:18 PM
I am with you on that one kick. I would like to trade mine for a 1911 or a shield.

Infidel
05-28-2017, 06:50 PM
My reason is more for compatibility. my friends all use glock 17s so it makes it easier to share mags. I honestly would just stick with my shield any other reason.

kickstand
05-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Well, quite futzing around and get your friends to get Shields. Problem solved.

W.Lynn
05-29-2017, 11:01 AM
10.5", she never fired it though. Im thinking of trying to trade it for a glock 17 with a few mags. She wont use it and I got several of my own.

There's deeper issues here than simply "she won't shoot it." If you built it, you probably made sure it felt right in your hands. Are her hands the same size? Major creases all at the same angles? Similar strength in the hands and the arms? Has she ever fired any pistol that was sized for a rifle round?

She may need to go to a ladies' event at a gun store or range. With or without one or two of her women friends, wrap her hands around every pistol available to find what suits her hand and arm like she can't imagine life without it there.

That's how I got it through my sister's head, and now she's got something she likes, fits her grip, and is a good piece of equipment. She's heading into her mid-50s, works late hours, and is single. If she needs to use it, I'm happy that she WILL, and she'll use it WELL because she's willing to practice with it.

This is also good for dad (closing in on 80,) because he'll go to the range with her and exercise his revolver

Infidel
05-31-2017, 02:07 PM
There's deeper issues here than simply "she won't shoot it." If you built it, you probably made sure it felt right in your hands. Are her hands the same size? Major creases all at the same angles? Similar strength in the hands and the arms? Has she ever fired any pistol that was sized for a rifle round?

She may need to go to a ladies' event at a gun store or range. With or without one or two of her women friends, wrap her hands around every pistol available to find what suits her hand and arm like she can't imagine life without it there.

That's how I got it through my sister's head, and now she's got something she likes, fits her grip, and is a good piece of equipment. She's heading into her mid-50s, works late hours, and is single. If she needs to use it, I'm happy that she WILL, and she'll use it WELL because she's willing to practice with it.

This is also good for dad (closing in on 80,) because he'll go to the range with her and exercise his revolver

Actually it was built for her. I hate the grip on it she chose it LOL. Damn grip is too small for me. its like holding a friggin cheap steak knife. First time she ever fired any gun was my shield 9mm. that was it. she hated the kick and I tried telling her ars dont have a kick but she still wouldnt fire it. She keeps talking about going boar hunting with me but Im like well if you dont learn to fire the AR how you gonna hunt? sure wont be using my .308 LOL

kickstand
05-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Ok, if she's new to boomsticks, I wouldn't suggest an AR pistol. AR carbine, 16" or 18", yes, but not a pistol. They are a bit of a special cat that, in my opinion, shouldn't be a person's first AR, especially if they are new to handling firearms.

W.Lynn
05-31-2017, 11:05 PM
Actually, something with more metal to it might good. One of my favorite shooting pieces is my 1911 in .45 acp. It's a little heavy, but not so I won't use it! The weight of it eats up the kick. My daughter in law likes her .357 mag revolver, but needs to feed it more often.

redman2006
06-01-2017, 06:12 AM
My wife had a Jimenez 380 when we met. She hated and distrusted it...for good reason.

After shooting several, she settled on a ruger sr22. Yes, the 22 is a crap self defense round, but it was something she enjoyed shooting, would carry, and could wear a laser. It is better to have a minor caliber pistol than a rock.

Now she enjoys 9 mm from full sized guns and 38 out of my 357. Progressing at her pace was the key. As to the ar, she like it and also shoots a 12 g pump when needed.

W.Lynn
06-01-2017, 02:44 PM
I used to shoot 12g in high school, but have a 20g (and fewer bruises,) now.

kickstand
06-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Btw Infidel, please don't take our suggestions as your typical "internet know-it-alls". We're not bashing you or the Mrs.

Infidel
06-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Btw Infidel, please don't take our suggestions as your typical "internet know-it-alls". We're not bashing you or the Mrs.

Trust me I dont get upset over internet shit LOL. If you saw how my group and I joke around, alot of ex military so you know how that goes. A ton of sarges.

W.Lynn
06-02-2017, 10:24 AM
We just think everyone should feel encouraged (I think the PC word is "empowered") to find the right shooting piece for them.

Infidel
06-02-2017, 11:11 AM
yeah I really want her to learn in case im not home. Same with my daughter but that may be a lost cause, shes a college snowflake :/

W.Lynn
06-02-2017, 09:27 PM
LOL, ask her what all the students (NOT the profs,) think of campus carry.