Didn't See That Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't See That Coming

I find myself tonight at another one of those crossroads in life that seem to pop up unexpectedly. My former employer called me up and offered me a job. I really liked those guys and it was a great company to work for. They've asked me to go out west, Salt Lake or Denver, and open an operation for them. They cover all the moving expense and such and have offered a pretty nice package.

The job would have me traveling all over the western states from Arizona and New Mexico to Washington. There'd be lots of nights in hotels again. And while I know a great many people that would jump at this, I don't know if I want to go back to work. Part of me was like, hell yeah! The other part of me thinks I'm ruined and couldn't work for anyone ever again. And the thought of so much travel is a bit of a drag as well because nearly all of it would be flying.

I kind of like my utter lack of routine at the moment. My days now consist of writing when the time is right, and that can be any hour of the day or night, and doing whatever else pops up. Like going and picking up the G19 I ordered from Brownells tomorrow. The dealer called and said they had it. It was actually funny. I came home from a little research trip to west coast this afternoon and Mel said they called to tell me the gun was in. She said she told the guy, "Oh. He bought a Glock huh?" The guy called later in the day and I answered. He laughed and asked how much trouble I was in.

I just don't see where a full time job fits into that. Not to mention the thought of the move! That would be hell. They'd pay for it of course. But I have four vehicles. Three trailers. A brand new 32' building that is now already full. Not to mention all the parts for a very large solar project waiting for me to start.

And it's not about the money either. While they've made a really nice offer, I make plenty now. I'm not getting rich, but I'm quite comfortable. I just don't know if I should really consider this or not. It'd be nice to get out of Florida, again. But I know there is a very high likelihood I'd simply come back, again. I don't why, I hate the weather in this place.

Just thought I'd toss this out there and see what you guys thought.
    I'm drunk tonith.

No one can tell you what is right for you, but for me, owning my own business, answering to myself, taking all the risks, and reaping the rewards is best. It is worrisome when you have a family to consider, but if the bills are paid, the savings is building, and you are secure, I say enjoy the freedom you have found.

For me, the worry, the headaches, the sleepless nights are all made worthwhile by the pride of ownership, being allowed to make my own decisions and chart my own course.

Regardless, good luck!

Comment

I sort of understand where you're coming from. Quite a number of years ago, I accepted a temporary assignment on the left coast. The understanding was that it would only be temporary, and only last for six months. Still, it was a very interesting experience, and I'm glad I accepted it. I didn't know anyone out there, but I made several good friends. And, it was an expense paid chance to see another part of the country (They paid the moving expenses, both ways, as well as a per diem that paid for a really nice, furnished, one-bedroom apartment, with a view of the southern tip of San Francisco Bay from the balcony [1].).

[1] That sounds really nice, until you realize that the southern tip of San Francisco Bay is a salt water marsh. Still, it made for some nice opportunities to watch wildlife, and provided me with an escape from the otherwise wall-to-wall people/houses that are out there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the work. It was a project transfer, one on which I had worked for 10 years already, and my responsibilities included ensuring that the new team on the left coast knew what they were doing, and were able to pick up the project and keep it going (They ended up doing a great job, after a few start-up pains, most of which were minor, due to my help.).

While I was out there, I spent most weekends exploring the area, including going up to the Lick Observatory (several times), visiting some of the redwood forests (Those are some HUGE trees.), hitting Fry's Electronics (multiple times; hey, I'm an electrical engineer!), and several other points of interest.

So, would I do it again? I think the answer borders somewhere between 'Hell no', and 'You want me to do WHAT?!?'. I came back seriously burned out on travel, and being away from 'home'. Plus, I'd already explored most of northern California (and, despite the wide variety of people there being universally nice, and the weather being simply wonderful), I had no real desire to go back (especially now that the left-wing extremists seem to have taken over). On the other hand, if an opportunity came up to go to some other location, well, the answer would probably be a definite yes (I actually seriously contemplated a six month assignment in Moscow at one point, but my skills weren't a good match for the job there. Plus, with my current skills in cryptography, I'm not sure the powers that be would be too anxious to let me out of the country.). Would I consider a temporary assignment to one of the other western states? Almost certainly. I rather like the climate and locale of many of the other western states, especially Utah, Wyoming, and Montana (Not so sure about Colorado, though.).

So, my advice to you? Make up your own mind. You know how you feel, and what your wants, desires, and needs are. You'll need to factor in input from your family (since family ALWAYS comes before a job). But, only you can make that decision.

As for me, I find that having a regular [2] job tends to make me more disciplined with regards to my daily schedule. I get up at a certain time every day, I go to work at a certain time, I come home at a certain time (well, mostly), and I go to bed at a certain time. That allows me to have a good idea of when I can allocate time for various tasks, such as writing, surfing the internet, browsing pron (Ha!), taking care of the farm, playing with the amateur radio, and other tasks. I've found that, when I'm off on vacation, especially for much more than a few days, I get in the habit of being lazy, of sleeping late, of staying up to late, and, generally, feeling like crap all the time, while still not getting much done. But, that's just me; other people seem fine doing that.

[2] Well, as regular as this crazy job can be.

As for flying, well, I'm not sure I'm as enthusiastic about it as I used to be. Oh, but the stories I've accumulated, such as that flight into SeaTac on an almost new Boeing 767 which blew part of the hydraulic system. Talk about a fun landing! Or the flight on that commuter "kamikaze special" which had water in the fuel.

On the other hand, think of the great research opportunities such an assignment would provide. It'd be an expense paid way to explore other areas of the country. Morgan's sister could find herself stuck in San Jose, and have to make her way across the Rocky Mountains to get to her home in Denver [3], in December!

[3] Did I ever tell you about that time I pulled a 26 foot travel trailer across the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California in December, across some of the back-roads? Did you know that they close some of those back-roads in California in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in winter? Did you know that there's a reason that they close those back-roads in California in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in winter?

So, basically, I've written a lot of words here, but I haven't really said anything. Hmm, I've been told that I'm quite good at that. ;-)

Dave

P.S. As for the G19, well, I'm not a fan of (semi-)auto pistols. With me, it would have been another stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk, probably in .45 Long Colt [4].

[4] Remind me to tell you about the 'Horse Thief' incident sometime. It was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever been through, something straight out of the 'Old West' from 100 years ago.

Comment

I can understand your hesitation. I would be hard pressed to make that move if I were in your shoes. As you said, you pretty much do as you please right now. For me giving that up would be a big step backwards. Lets not even get into how this job would cut into your writing time and deprive us of more of the adventures of Morgan, Sarge and the other members of your literary universe.

My wife and I both love the Southwest. We even considered moving out to Arizona at one point. When we started looking at all of the logistics of the move and the expenses we decided to hold off. Not to mention neither of us would have a job waiting for us. It was about that time that my employer asked if I would consider a move to SC. No big promotion, no real change in my job at all. They were just looking to get folks into some buildings that came with a recent acquisition. Just as in your scenario they would pay for all of the moving expenses and a few other things. After some lengthy discussions and weighing out the pros and cons of such a move we decided that the offer was too good to let pass.

One of the other big factors in our decision not to move west was the proximity to the border. Even areas not directly on the border were being affected by gang activity. That was something that we certainly did not want to get in the middle of. Another reason was being among people who share our values both a spiritual and secular way. That was something that was big uncertainty in the areas we were looking at in AZ.

Bottom line is that you have to make the best choice that you can for you and your family. Take as much time as possible. This is not something that you should be rushed into.

Comment

I will grant you that Florida weather sucks, except in the winter, then again Michigan weather sucks in the winter yet I don't plan on moving any where. I'm retired and plan on staying that way although as a country, we have a few issues facing us that might change that. I am a licensed pilot yet I hate, hate, hate to fly commercially and will drive if at all possible. I certainly can't tell you what to do, but for me it would be not only no, but hell no. Besides, I'm selfish and want book 8 out sooner rather than later

Comment

Leaving aside the job part of the equation and just the logistics of a "prepper move"... which I'm still in the middle of...

I had just me to consider and me wanted to kill me, several times throughout this process for being a total dumbass thinking moving was a good idea. First off: many things that pro movers can't haul; anything requiring a hazmat fee or orm-D sticker. They CAN however move firearms - each one inspected & inventoried individually by serial numbers. Collectors might be one step ahead, by already having that inventory to work from... but the crew chief STILL needs to eyeball everything one at a time.

The two wrangler style jeeps were actually loaded onto the truck itself - but the loading process required a rollback to get them on/off the truck, because of the weight. And that was another logistic; the 18 wheeler didn't have a problem getting into the beach house drive - but the road off the highway here is too narrow and curves too tight and up & down to get in. So the big truck was parked in a pull off along the highway and two smaller trucks used to unload>load> drive to house > unload. Yeah; those guys hated me even with the big tip afterwards. I really don't blame them.

That big load got to the new location on the 7th of this month. I have 2 buildings with multiple floors. Except for obvious things like the couch and bedroom furniture, most of the stuff is really NOT where I want it. Me, myself & I is not enough people to move furniture up & downstairs and up/downhill from one building to the next. So, I'm just making a list until I do have someone here to help. Then... there's the logistics of mail, banking, vehicles, etc. all different from the state you're moving FROM.

I have a functional kitchen (floor's ALMOST all clean); bathroom, dining room/office and bedroom. I have a home wifi network now... just in time for the monitor on the trusty laptop to puke up & die. (I think; I don't have the patience to deal with it today.)

You have plenty of competent hands to share the work, so it won't be so bad for you all. I still have to go back & get all that stuff (in a rented truck & friends to help load/unload) that the movers couldn't bring. Guess where my heavy winter coats are? LOL. I wanted to move that stuff BEFORE the big move, but 2 named storms and no available help/time kinda nixed that idea. Then there was the security for that stuff. Safer where it still is...

BUT, I'm super glad I made this move. All my whining notwithstanding. When I'm further along with projects, this place will be more secure and provide way more opportunities to be self-reliant than where I was. Family is closer; old friends too - and making new ones among "like minded" folks.

It's like having kids; the only reason we keep doing it is because we either don't know what it's like or we forgot the pain of the process. And I seriously downsized a LOT of the "stuff" I had, so I only brought what I know I'm going to want now or later on, when I'm settled.

- - - Updated - - -

Leaving aside the job part of the equation and just the logistics of a "prepper move"... which I'm still in the middle of...

I had just me to consider and me wanted to kill me, several times throughout this process for being a total dumbass thinking moving was a good idea. First off: many things that pro movers can't haul; anything requiring a hazmat fee or orm-D sticker. They CAN however move firearms - each one inspected & inventoried individually by serial numbers. Collectors might be one step ahead, by already having that inventory to work from... but the crew chief STILL needs to eyeball everything one at a time.

The two wrangler style jeeps were actually loaded onto the truck itself - but the loading process required a rollback to get them on/off the truck, because of the weight. And that was another logistic; the 18 wheeler didn't have a problem getting into the beach house drive - but the road off the highway here is too narrow and curves too tight and up & down to get in. So the big truck was parked in a pull off along the highway and two smaller trucks used to unload>load> drive to house > unload. Yeah; those guys hated me even with the big tip afterwards. I really don't blame them.

That big load got to the new location on the 7th of this month. I have 2 buildings with multiple floors. Except for obvious things like the couch and bedroom furniture, most of the stuff is really NOT where I want it. Me, myself & I is not enough people to move furniture up & downstairs and up/downhill from one building to the next. So, I'm just making a list until I do have someone here to help. Then... there's the logistics of mail, banking, vehicles, etc. all different from the state you're moving FROM.

I have a functional kitchen (floor's ALMOST all clean); bathroom, dining room/office and bedroom. I have a home wifi network now... just in time for the monitor on the trusty laptop to puke up & die. (I think; I don't have the patience to deal with it today.)

You have plenty of competent hands to share the work, so it won't be so bad for you all. I still have to go back & get all that stuff (in a rented truck & friends to help load/unload) that the movers couldn't bring. Guess where my heavy winter coats are? LOL. I wanted to move that stuff BEFORE the big move, but 2 named storms and no available help/time kinda nixed that idea. Then there was the security for that stuff. Safer where it still is...

BUT, I'm super glad I made this move. All my whining notwithstanding. When I'm further along with projects, this place will be more secure and provide way more opportunities to be self-reliant than where I was. Family is closer; old friends too - and making new ones among "like minded" folks.

It's like having kids; the only reason we keep doing it is because we either don't know what it's like or we forgot the pain of the process. And I seriously downsized a LOT of the "stuff" I had, so I only brought what I know I'm going to want now or later on, when I'm settled.

Comment

ugh... the server is automatically duplicating a longer post with that update thing again. I'll edit it later, if I can get the pc functional.

Comment

I'll make it short. Bad idea to move for a job you will spend most of your time traveling for. I've done that on more than one occasion and go more than one country. It never worked out in the end for any of them.
                When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

2ee2b08d750d23609b5e257a6de08e3c7f59678a119d9574e76ab363b9316287_1-1.jpg

You'll realize that you really enjoyed being your own boss , and end up being Angery about it (see what I did there ? )
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

So what are your plans for writing another book in the "Going Home" series, and what ever happened to the proposed TV pilot film you mentioned a while back ?

Comment

First he has to find the way to make a pilot, which is neither fast nor cheap (but if you're close and have any of the needed skills, let him know how much volunteer work you can fit in,) then he has to start pitching it, find a taker, and hammer out a contract.

Of course, some people make something, put a piece somewhere accessible, and then let rabid, drooling, fans make donations to get another piece, until a network or a producer shits a brick asking "how do I get this?"
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I'll keep it simple AA. You've worked hard to get where you are. You owe nothing to no one. If you are financially comfortable and you enjoy the way your life is now,don't do it.

Comment

I can tell you from my own experience.... I do odds and end jobs that pay me. Most I work from home. I do elections during election season and taxes during tax season. Those are the only 2 jobs I have that I am not my own boss (so to speak) and I am on a regular schedule. My other 3 year-round jobs consist of writing and web administration that I work from home whenever I want (independent contractor). The writing job goes on hiatus when I have to work any of my scheduled jobs.

With that being said, I love being able to get up and go to lunch or dinner, or travel with my husband when he goes for training, or traveling in general, or ensuring things like Christmas presents are bought and bills are paid. I get to do all this on my own time when I feel like it. I love the lifestyle and not being tied down to 1 job.

We have the luxury of this because my husband has tenure at his job. However, if things were to get slow at his work and we weren't making it financially (kinda like we are struggling now) then I would see about a "real full-time" job.

Yes we struggle at the moment. It is slow season for my husband, BUT I already committed to tax season and I'm a woman of my word so I can't just back out of my promise to work through April. Therefore, we will struggle and hopefully come Jan. things will get better financially for us.

You have to do what makes you happiest. It's not always about the money. My husband knows I love being a "Jill of all trades" type of gal so he wouldn't never require me to go work a regular job. This is what makes me the happiest and therefore, I continue on this path of odds and ends because I love the flexibility.

Comment

The only reasons you work is to make money.. If you don't need the money why do it?

I get up every single day and go into the office and want nothing more than to get into your position. The "Position of Fuck You"...

Comment

After 30 years on "The Road" flying to all parts of the globe, I can honestly say, DON"T DO IT! There is more to life than money. First is time with family and that cannot be replaced by money, believe me as I did not see my kid grow up or my step children either. Now that I am home, life is much better. Haven't been on a plane in more than 3 years and have no desire to get on one. However, I have a trip with the family where I cannot drive to, unless I want to purchase a large boat to make the crossing to the V.I.

Guns..... Well, you never know what the politicians of Colorado are going to do. Remember MAGPUL? Utah is better, until all of the Californians get moved to there (they are already trying to screw up Montana)

Next on the list is TAXES and those states that you listed have state INCOME TAX. It adds up. Plus their sales tax is all over the board. Like seafood? Forget about it in Denver, unless you have a lot of money to burn. It is that way here in Minnesota where I currently reside. Moving to Montana next June and it isn't any cheaper there except NO SALES TAX!

And then.... Hotels.... Take a black light into the room, turn off the lights and turn on the black light... "Nuff Said. Take a sleep sack and your own bed linens.

Food.... Travel food is the same no matter where you travel Most is pre-prepared and has a similar taste too. Can you say elevated Cholesterol?

And the Grand Finale'.... dealing with the T.S.A. My blood pressure goes up when I had to take my wife to the airport earlier this year for a business trip for her. I found myself becoming angered at the T.S.A. and what a pain in the tookus they are. Now, there are many in the T.S.A. that are super. They are just outnumbered by the ones that are true (enter what you want to call them)

One more thing.... The airlines.... Flying is ungodly stressful now with all of the increased fees, seat assignments etc. Live in Denver? United and Southwest are your choices. Salt Lake? Delta and Southwest. I do not mention American because, Well... after being stranded an excessive numbers of times in Chicago O'hare due to crew timeout, weather (sunshine) or a general lack of motivation by the ground crew, I refuse to get on another American Airlines flight. I would rather walk!

There are times that I do not miss the heat and humidity of Florida (lived there 30+ years) but I miss it when I have to shovel snow in below ZERO temperatures (like this week).... Just saying'

What does Mel want to do?

Comment

Working...
                              X